1970 510 rear brake issue

Hi all,

So my car has been stopping fine and i have been driving it for months with no stopping issues, but the other day (Monday Afternoon) I decided to check all my fluids. When doing so, I noticed the the front brake reservoir was empty but the rear one was full. So I topped off the brake fluid, and shut the hood and went on with my day. Didn't drive the car, but took my truck as I had to pick up some furniture..

So next morning (Tuesday), I decided to take the 510 out for a drive, but when i got in and started it up the brake peddle was really soft and went pretty much to the floor.....  I walked around the car looking at every tire and brake area for leaks... Noticed some brake fluid on the Drivers side rear...

So Why all the sudden would it have leaked.... drove it the prior days before with no leak or soft peddle... 

When topping off the front reservoir, could this have caused some pressure in the system some how causing it to leak when I put the cap back on?

Going to look in a few to see where exactly it was leaking from. Btw stock drum brakes in rear..

Thanks 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure why it failed.. but it was probably just a timing thing. If it was low, or empty it already failed.. it was just a mater of time before the pedal was soft. It probably sucked air into it when you pumped it. Just rebuild the cylinder or replace it and keep on truckin!

just old. 

if anything would fail it all of the would be the master. As some people bleed the system there is a groove in the master clylinder bore and once you push all the way down the rubber seal will get cut on the groove and then BAM it gives out

If you was low and saw fluid on the rear then you already had a draining fluid proplem. It just gave out

just old. 

if anything would fail it all of the would be the master. As some people bleed the system there is a groove in the master clylinder bore and once you push all the way down the rubber seal will get cut on the groove and then BAM it gives out

If you was low and saw fluid on the rear then you already had a draining fluid proplem. It just gave out

True, Thing thats confusing is that once before same thing happened only when i took the reservoir cap to top off. and no leaks around the wheel. So i just bled the brakes and all was good. Drove for miles and months...Must be a really small leak.