Narrowed rear control arms

Icehouse

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bearing spacer? I am brain farting . What bearing spacer? Inlighten me

Inside the rear hub there is a tube/sleeve over the stub axle, between the inside races of the inner and outer bearings.  There were 3 different size sleeves.  I would assume it's to keep from grenading the inner bearing when the nut is torqued down on the companion flange.

The spacers wouldn't matter if you're not going to reuse the machined hub "tube"(?)...

Why wouldn't it matter?  It locates the bearing spacing on the stub axle.  I was under the impression there were also 3 stub axle lengths?  No? 

No. The different spacer lengths are because the bearing bores are machined in separate operations and they couldn't measure the distance/bearing preload correctly so they used different sized spacer to set the preload. If you use new bearings and good fixtures to machine the bearing housings you can use a single size spacer. That's my opinion anyways.

Maybe Datzenmike can dig it up......

........I couldn't find him in the search.........

I believe it was OC510 or something like that.........he was like 16-17 years old and an amazing fabricator......

.....he was posting here for a minute and disappeared.....

He made/or had made a bad ass set of rear control arms exactly the way you're describing........

.........think he said it could take a 9 or 10" rim non-flared......I could be off on those numbers though..........

Anyone remeber this??

• Like 1

Yes. Was a fabricator he knew that built them. I believe the geometry was all f'k up if I remember correctly? Seems like it didn't work out. I like the idea though. I could use a little more clearance on the inside and just get a positive offset wheel.

• Like 1

Maybe Datzenmike can dig it up......

........I couldn't find him in the search.........

I believe it was OC510 or something like that.........he was like 16-17 years old and an amazing fabricator......

.....he was posting here for a minute and disappeared.....

He made/or had made a bad ass set of rear control arms exactly the way you're describing........

.........think he said it could take a 9 or 10" rim non-flared......I could be off on those numbers though..........

Anyone remeber this??

I'm pretty sure this is the one you are thinking of?

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41542-jordans-fully-caged-flared-tubbed-72-sr-510/page-17

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I asked Mario of TSR fabrication a while back inquiring custom rear control arms, he said he had some in the works, and I would be one of the first to know! I've trimmed my control arms  enough to fit a 15x9.5 wheel with a 195-45-15 sized tire with rolled fenders. Sorry, i'm into stance 510's. :rofl:

So here is a sneak peak at what we are building.  Not only does it narrow the rear track but it also allows us to do some camber/toe progression changes.  It's still in it's infancy, we haven't checking loads or figured out how exactly we are going to hook the heim joints to the main beam (Boswell Beam) Or where exactly we are going to place the rods (race rods) don't contact any part of the body under full compression.  Also we are going to have to hook one joint on the crossmember in single shear.  Either way I can't wait to have one in my car!!!! 

s2swaj8.png

aMgjopV.png

e6oSa8S.png

• Like 2

So here is a sneak peak at what we are building.  Not only does it narrow the rear track but it also allows us to do some camber/toe progression changes.  It's still in it's infancy, we haven't checking loads or figured out how exactly we are going to hook the heim joints to the main beam (Boswell Beam) Or where exactly we are going to place the rods (race rods) don't contact any part of the body under full compression.  Also we are going to have to hook one joint on the crossmember in single shear.  Either way I can't wait to have one in my car!!!! 

s2swaj8.png

aMgjopV.png

e6oSa8S.png

Wow, those look good. Will the track width still be smaller? Like you originally wanted...

• Like 1

That's more what I was thinking, but taking the third link and going straight to the diff or mustache bar

Duke posted a similar style setup to that one the thread on the realm.  Me and Sam talked about doing something like that.  But before doing a more complex setup we want to see if we can get this to work.  Until you model something its hard to wrap your mind around the fine details.  it already looks like we can dial out most the toe change over the travel we use.  Time will tell though. 

• Like 3