1981 datsun b210 23,137 miles ..expert advice needed datsun fans must look

i have a 1981 datsun b210 it was my uncles retirement car it was garage kept .i served in the us army 101st airborne air assault div first campbell ky .i was hurt overseas and i have total leg reconstructive operation to save my left leg .i have loss of feeling in that leg on certain spots .the problem im having is they car is a manual transmission and im looking on converting it to an auto trans because on my injury seeing how using my left leg on the manual isn't safe for me .i been searching the internet with no solid info.what transmission thats auto will fit into this classic car that i love so much i am gonna post some picture for you guys to see .

Picture702.jpg

Picture712.jpg

Picture713.jpg

Picture714.jpg

Picture715.jpg

Edited by Phlebmaster
recoded pics
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Datsun B-210 '73-'78 came with automatic and standards as did the Datsun 210 '78-'82, so they are out there. The tranny would be a Jatco 3N71B but with a front 'bell' bolt pattern for an A series engine. Any auto from an A series motor should work as long as the length is the same. A floor shift lever and two coolant lines to an aftermarket trailer towing automatic transmission cooler should do it. Do you have a 4 or 5spd?

Man that is a sweety! You know, a 79 B-210 fastback just got bid up to $6,601 and did not meet the reserve. Yours looks to be a close to similar condition? These things must be going up in value!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun_W0QQitemZ110298300959QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110298300959&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1308

thanks for all the great comments im glad to see there other people out there that can truly understand the appeal of the datsun. Can someone link me to a website for the auto tansmission and all the parts needs. i really need your guys help im searching and nothings coming up .

Edited by xxxdrillsgtxxx

Nice wagon :cool:

Unfortunately you have an older Datsun that is an off model (not a huge following like the 510 or the Z car) There probably isn't a website out there for you to get all the parts.

Mike pretty much broke down the list of what you'll need. You'll have to keep an eye out on CL or at the local pull-a-part and be ready to deal when you find the parts.

The good new is you should be able to get the parts fairly cheap once you do locate them.

You may also try a wanted ad here and on a few other old datsun forums, maybe put one up on CL as well.

My 78 B210 is my parts car. It has an automatic transmission in it that worked before a ring blew in the motor. For conversion your looking at the following.

1) Transmission, shifter,

2) Lines

3) Radiator with auto trans line connections

4) Drive Shaft End, as the Automatic is different than the manual.

One hindrance you may be looking at is the tranny tunnel. I am not sure on the 79-82's but for the 73-78 B210's the Automatic Tranny tunnel is larger than that on the Manual cars because the Tranny bell Housing is Larger.

I think the flywheel is also different.

The car is down in Tucson, Ariz. though.

HOOAH xxxdrillsgtxxx! I was in for almost 4, got injured in Iraq, but nothing like your injury (two severely herniated discs, L3/L4, L4/L5, permanent nerve damage, loss of feeling in the right leg, diminished feeling in the left). My 610 came with automatic, so I was good to go there. I understand your plight.

Its a matter of the donor car. Like everyone said, the 3N71B from another Datsun will work, its the bellhousing that will be fun to find. I will keep my eyes peeled when I am out junkyarding next time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Datsun-Hatchback-1979-Datsun-510-Hatchback_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ230303820296QQsspagenameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101#shippingQuotes

i was wondering if trying to set up a deal with this seller. Will i be able to do the switch i know its a 510 and my cars a 210 but it looks about the same size except my car a little bit bigger

Wont work, it has a L20B in it, different angle to the engine and I bet the bolt pattern is different. You have to have an A series tranny. All 510's used a L series or Z engine that were tilted over and probably have different bellhousing bolt patterns. Just going to have to wait for an A engined car comes up.

i was wondering if trying to set up a deal with this seller. Will i be able to do the switch i know its a 510 and my cars a 210 but it looks about the same size except my car a little bit bigger

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Datsun-Hatchback-1979-Datsun-510-Hatchback_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ230303820296QQsspagenameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101#shippingQuotes

this is a cool little car. i never saw a 79 510 hatch before. much better than the 79 trunk back i found a while back.

1979510.jpg

i love your wagon as well. i am always for seeing more b210/210's driving around. yours is in perfect condition. i suggest maybe buying a whole 210 that has a automatic. they can go for really cheap if they have been wrecked and the engine and tranny's last forever. usally it's the body that gets them sent to the crusher, not the running gear. i'd have like 5 if my wife would let me. oh yeah and the county, i have a record with them!

DrillSgt,

Try contacting Marvin at (520) 747-8965, thats ACS Used Auto Parts in Tucson. He used to have some 79-82 210s there in his boneyard. Unless he has crushed them, he may have an automatic transmission and tailshaft that will work for you.

I would sell you mine out of the 78 B210, but I should mention it probably needs a rebuild. It worked when last I drove the car, but I cannot remember if there was some slippage or not due to the bands.

this is a cool little car. i never saw a 79 510 hatch before. much better than the 79 trunk back i found a while back.

1979510.jpg

i love your wagon as well. i am always for seeing more b210/210's driving around. yours is in perfect condition. i suggest maybe buying a whole 210 that has a automatic. they can go for really cheap if they have been wrecked and the engine and tranny's last forever. usally it's the body that gets them sent to the crusher, not the running gear. i'd have like 5 if my wife would let me. oh yeah and the county, i have a record with them!

I've got one just like it. At least mine is a 5 speed.

thanks for all the great comments im glad to see there other people out there that can truly understand the appeal of the datsun. Can someone link me to a website for the auto tansmission and all the parts needs. i really need your guys help im searching and nothings coming up .

I would go the donor car route. There is a 210 hatchback with an auto in the pull-a-part near me. If I were closer, I could help you out.

Will i be able to do the switch i know its a 510 and my cars a 210 but it looks about the same size except my car a little bit bigger

Mike mentioned the models and the "a-series" engine. that's your key. The 510 has L16 or "L-series" engine. A14, A15 is what you're after.

Don't forget the new flywheel and possibly a different starter motor made for the automatic 210.

I've got one just like it. At least mine is a 5 speed.

I would go the donor car route. There is a 210 hatchback with an auto in the pull-a-part near me. If I were closer, I could help you out.

my uncle live in ponce de leon fl he told me hes about 20 mins away from AL .if your serious about that hacketback my uncle told me he would swing by there with ya or where ever the place is at and ship me the parts ....

Mike mentioned the models and the "a-series" engine. that's your key. The 510 has L16 or "L-series" engine. A14, A15 is what you're after.

Don't forget the new flywheel and possibly a different starter motor made for the automatic 210.

WOW thanks for the replies seems like alot of parts to turn my datsun to an auto but its worth it .i love that car so much and i want to drive it without taking a chance on messing it up .

Interesting how these cars didn't garner a second look when new. Now, they're so ugly/unique/whatever that they're kinda cute.

Gotta be way easier to switch to an auto than going the other way.

No clutch pedal to hang for one. May or may not be a problem hooking up the trans oil cooler.

Yo, Sarge. Fill out the Location in your User Profile so we knows where youse at. :D

I have done this swap but it was the other way around [auto out, manual in]. There are quite a few parts needed, so like others have said, I would get a complete car for the swap, or you'll be short for many things.

Along with the transmission itself, you'll also need to swap your stick flywheel for the auto flex plate [including the matching bolts-they are different], Note: There is a spacer that is loosely pressed onto the back of the crankshaft for the auto cars. This goes on between back of the crankshaft and the flex plate. You'll also need the complete auto shifter assembly with cable & linkage, the auto driveshaft [it's different too], the auto brake pedal [or you can simply use the small standard trans brake pedal and tuck the clutch pedal under the carpet]. Trans cooling lines, auto radiator with internal trans cooler [or add an aftermarket cooler].

You'll have to wire the neutral saftey switch too, so you don't accidently start it in gear.

Like I said, you'll have everything you'll need if you get a doner car with an automatic. I wouldn't try to do it any other way.

Mike

P.S. I don't know if the trans tunnel clearance will be a problem or not. I've always swapped out the auto's so I don't know if there will be any clearance issues or not.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jaimesix
Interesting how these cars didn't garner a second look when new. Now, they're so ugly/unique/whatever that they're kinda cute.D

?????????:confused::confused:

That is a subjective statement, Datsun 510s never elicited anything in my mind. On the other hand, B210s, 210s, 1200, 710s, 610s, 810s... etc did the trick for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by jaimesix
Guest jaimesix
i have a 1981 datsun b210 it was my uncles retirement car it was garage kept .i served in the us army 101st airborne air assault div first campbell ky .i was hurt overseas and i have total leg reconstructive operation to save my left leg .i have loss of feeling in that leg on certain spots .the problem im having is they car is a manual transmission and im looking on converting it to an auto trans because on my injury seeing how using my left leg on the manual isn't safe for me .i been searching the internet with no solid info.what transmission thats auto will fit into this classic car that i love so much i am gonna post some picture for you guys to see .

Picture702.jpg

Picture712.jpg

Picture713.jpg

Picture714.jpg

Picture715.jpg

That is a very cool Datsun 210 wagon. Congratulations.

I love those wagons, they look great either in stock form or performance oriented, plenty of potential, excelent wheel well depth for wide wheels, it is very cool.

I had a B210 that was automatic, and if I am not wrong, the automatic transmission in that B210 ( 76) with an L13 engine ( later on I installed an A15 ) was the same auto tranny 280Z cars had.

I will check my records, but the same auto transmission was offered in 280Z cars and B210s. It has been a while since I read my notes ( not at home now ) but the transmission is a Jatco perhaps...let me check it out.

B210s with auto trannies used it, and it is a bullet proof transmission.

Your cool 210 wagon is well worth the effort, for the amount of money you would invest in your 210, you would not be able to buy a factory new bumper for a new car. It is a smart move and it will allow you to enjoy that wagon in confort and style.

Nice.

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Edited by jaimesix