Tedman

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Stainless steel zip ties.  Should be available at oreillys

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered this option, but after a cursory search I could not find a long enough SS zip tie to double wrap the large end of the boot like the factory band clamp. It needs to be >21" long. I suppose in a pinch I could single wrap the the factory band clamp, but I'd rather not. I'm not in a hurry as this is a spare half-shaft, so I'll set it aside for now until I find a tool for the factory clamp, or become desperate...

• Like 1

Find the right size CV boot clamp. Easy to get, and easy to install.   👍

113501159b.jpg

The pliers to crimp these are easy and cheap too...

KDT3955-LRG.JPG&maxx=300&maxy=0

This is what I did when I rebuilt mine. Got the clamps from a VW shop as I recall...

Check for the Moog brand CV clamps #3416 for the big end and #3415 for the small end.

They should have a long enough tail to work with the tool you have.

Also look at the Lisle brand tool # 30950 it looks to have a shorter reach that may work with your existing clamps.

Edited by fivetengarage
On 1/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, datsunfreak said:

Find the right size CV boot clamp. Easy to get, and easy to install.   👍

113501159b.jpg

The pliers to crimp these are easy and cheap too...

KDT3955-LRG.JPG&maxx=300&maxy=0

This is what I did when I rebuilt mine. Got the clamps from a VW shop as I recall...

Thanks for the suggestion. I may resort to those clamps plus the tool if I can't find double wrap clamps that work with the tool I have.

2 hours ago, fivetengarage said:

Check for the Moog brand CV clamps #3416 for the big end and #3415 for the small end.

They should have a long enough tail to work with the tool you have.

Also look at the Lisle brand tool # 30950 it looks to have a shorter reach that may work with your existing clamps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw those at Summit Racing and they look exactly like the ones I got from Nissan, however the length on the big end clamp is stated as 10", which would only fit as a single wrap. I went back to look again today, and it says the small end clamp is also 10" long. Hmmm. The pics show double wrap, so maybe the 3416 length is a typo?  Could not find any dimensions on the Moog site. Says it fits up to 3.5" diameter, so a little math says it must be at least 9.6" long. 10" leaves virtually nothing for a tool to grab at max diameter, so it's gotta be longer. I might take a chance and order a couple.   

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered the Moog clamps suggested by fivetengarage (thanks for the tip!). Small end ones are still on back order, but the large end ones are plenty long, and double wrap. Nissan clamp on right for comparison:

yu3LYSR.jpg

I cut off some of the excess length and went to town with the tool. Success!

zGpadjV.jpg

I tried to fit the small end Nissan clamp and almost got it to work (another 5mm length and it would've worked!), then decided to just install the big end Nissan clamp on the small end. Done deal!

JoX50s2.jpg

RgcTqIl.jpg

• Like 1

A couple of road pics from a New Year's Day canyon run-

GoPro screen grab:

Kn4gios.jpg

Stopped to take a piss and enjoy the view:

gCyuJmH.jpg

i9JI7VO.jpg

• Like 2