Help a noob follow a dream

GMT400

Hey all, new user here. I'm also completely new to the world of mini trucks, lowered trucks, and Datsuns. I really want a lowered 620 incredibly bad and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them, but there's one issue I haven't seen addressed (maybe because it isn't an issue or I'm just an idiot or something lol). That "issue" is tires rubbing on trucks with a certain stance. I'm a lifted truck guy and that's my background, and tires rubbing can be a huge issue there. I really want a truck with a stance similar to the one in the picture (no tuck, wider stance, tight fitment), and I'd really like to know if tires rub in such a set up. I'd also like to know some things to know and things to consider in such a build if you folks would be so kind. Thanks in advance.
I couldn't post an image for some reason so here's a link to a picture of Radim's pickup: http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Radim69/shoot3.jpg~original

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need the tires to fit inside the fender wells. If not you will rub or bump down on them, I've seen tires with grooves all the way round from rubbing or the side wall all chewed up and it's not good for the body either. Two things that determine if a tire will fit properly is the tire/rim width and the rim offset or back spacing. Back spacing or offset is the relationship between the center of the rim width to the wheel mounting surface.

Same rim and tire width but big difference where the tire is in relation to the edge of the fender. If your tire will rub you need to move it inwards towards the center of the vehicle or Positive Offset. Best to figure this out before buying the rims and tires.

wheeloffset_2.gif

Too much positive offset risks rubbing the inner fender steering or suspension components. The wheel simply mounts too far in.

If you remove a tire and place a straight edge against the wheel mounting surface you can measure in and outward and see how much room you have available for a rim to fit inside the fender. You may find there is 3" of clearance on either side of the center line, so a 6" rim with zero offset will work. You might find that you have 2" outward and 4" inward so a 6" rim with a 1" positive offset will be perfect to move everything inward one inch. If going positive will hit the suspension you can go to a narrower rim.

At the end of the day, if you are lowered, the front wheels will need to extend out from under the front fenders to turn and they may rub. For the highway this isn't a problem as the amount of turning is much less than in town turning into a driveway, however you do have to contend with curbs, bumps and grade changes. What works fine driving around is an embarrassment when parking. To reduce this type of rub ANY lowered vehicle should have stiffer springs than stock, to reduce bottoming anyway. You can't expect a 4" suspension travel to work on a vehicle that is 3" above the pavement. Just something to think about.  

Alright, thanks for your reply. I know about offset/backspacing, etc.. I've just seen all these trucks with tires out past the body and it's my favorite look so I was wondering if there was some method or some sort of perfect set up that would keep rubbing while turning from happening. Again, thank you though. I am perfectly content making something a little less ridiculous if it makes it more practical.
Another noob question since I can't find anything concrete: when I lower a truck, let's say crank down the torsion bar and add 3 inch drop blocks, do I need new shocks of a different length or will stock ones work fine?

If the tire is outside the body it will rub, well unless you weld the suspension solid. You can get it very close though. Have you thought of air bags? Lowered for the look but you can air it up for clearance when driving around town.

If you look under your truck and imagine the block between the top of the leaf spring and the axle, you'll see that the shock absorber length is unchanged. Imagine the leaf spring and body with the shock attached between them simply moving lower.

I'm not as concerned about vertical clearance as I am horizontal fender clearance when the tires are turning, you feel me? Like in my lifted truck my tires are ever so slightly too big for the amount of clearance I have in the front, so my front left tire will rub when turning the wheel left full lock in reverse. I don't care about the tires slamming up into the fender over bumps, I just care about steering.

I'm not as concerned about vertical clearance as I am horizontal fender clearance when the tires are turning, you feel me? Like in my lifted truck my tires are ever so slightly too big for the amount of clearance I have in the front, so my front left tire will rub when turning the wheel left full lock in reverse. I don't care about the tires slamming up into the fender over bumps, I just care about steering.

I am running 8" wide wheels, 0et, and do not rub, vertical or horizontal.

Again, properly fitting wheels/tires is the key.

(gasp) you don't care about the body??? Just lowering won't affect the steering unless you go to much wider rims and tires and it will only rub, if at all, at the extreme left or right. Hitting the front fender on a turn into a raised drive way is much more likely to affect steering.

(gasp) you don't care about the body??? Just lowering won't affect the steering unless you go to much wider rims and tires and it will only rub, if at all, at the extreme left or right. Hitting the front fender on a turn into a raised drive way is much more likely to affect steering.

Haha I "don't care" about the body because in my daily life there are absolutely zero unavoidable bumps when I'm driving so I really would never encounter the tire bouncing up against the fender.

I am running 8" wide wheels, 0et, and do not rub, vertical or horizontal.

Again, properly fitting wheels/tires is the key.

Coolio, thanks. So what's the trick to properly fitting wheels and tires? Taking lots of measurements? Some sort of magical formula? Copying others specs perfectly?

How helpful would this be? http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Percy-s-01201-Wheelrite,6761.html?sku=91065475&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKEAiAirXFBRCQyvL279Tnx1ESJAB-G-QvKdttIPaa9bFF-oSCXacm-uPYlmoxjQRIk2p0PbvpixoCwOXw_wcB

My 521 is pretty low with tires way bigger than I should be using.

Only my rear fenders will rub if I'm carrying a huge load.

Fit properly sized wheels and tires and you won't have issues.

IMG_20160430_064709560_zpsjtxmqkba.jpg

Flat - do you have disks? My steelies would rub on the 620 if I did that ^. Im having a real hard time trying to figure out what would fit inside the wheelwells because the discs are definitely increasing the track. I got my eye on some 16x6.5 zero offsets but I think they might poke out and I'd eat the cost. I always shocks me when I see steelies tucked on other trucks. I cant do that..

heh=heh....you said huge load....

Hobo i tried ssearching ur thread but to no avail. Im certain it was titled witb the trucks name... Can you simply tell me the tire width. That looks like 195. Mine I bought are also 8in 0 offset, 195 wide but I never tried them on yet haha.

Hobo i tried ssearching ur thread but to no avail. Im certain it was titled witb the trucks name... Can you simply tell me the tire width. That looks like 195. Mine I bought are also 8in 0 offset, 195 wide but I never tried them on yet haha.

215 55 16, and it's not actually anywhere near when i got the tires in the little miss thread. threw it up in the toolbox thread not too long ago. 195 is going to give you stretched tires. i don't like stretched tires so i went with exact width of the wheel. 

I appreciate the photos + specs hobo. Gives me a good idea of what to go for.

no problem. the spacers were not needed on the rear tires with stock brakes but the calipers were rubbing on my rim and causing issues.