"Steel Net" on an A14 Engine

Sierra

How important/necessary is the "Steel Net" (See picture)?

I am rebuilding my A14 engine (B210) and the block came back without the steel net that goes just underneath the camshaft.

I am guessing it's purpose is for filtering debris in the oil.

I am just wondering if I can go without it, since there is no place I can actually buy a new replacement one.

Any feedback much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

C6C3BF53-4A57-4ED8-B066-ED5216858B0C_zps

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man,

I am pulling the pan off of that A14 that I am trying to get the water pipe off of.  So if I get any shop time tomorrow or this weekend to do that I will check it out and see if i can define its purpose.....if it has one.

It's part of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system, PCV-- It purpose is to let the contaminates/fumes out of the crankcase but keep the oil from being sucked out.

Part # 11037-H1000, no longer available through Nissan.

Only place for A series engines I have found these is, About Spares, down under:  https://www.abouttimespares.com.au/showpartslist.asp?cat=4&sub=116&subsub=5718

The 1200 site has this explanation:  http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=PCV

IT MAY be possible to cut down an L series baffle screen pack, they are still available

Nissan Part No.: 11037E3000

• Like 2

Hey man,

I am pulling the pan off of that A14 that I am trying to get the water pipe off of.  So if I get any shop time tomorrow or this weekend to do that I will check it out and see if i can define its purpose.....if it has one.

Thank you Kelmo, I would really appreciate it if you can get those two items for me.

Based on Morrisun and datzenmike comments, it sounds like it is necessary.

Thank you all of the input.