Questions on 7/8th brake master for 510

fmdooom240sx

Originally I went with the 15/16ths master but found that I won't have enough space as I'm going with a top mounted turbo on my KA24-E.

I ran into an old thread about this, and messaged another user but never got a response.

What are your preferences? I was excited about the 15/16th's until I saw how much space it took.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All dual masters are about the same length. The 15/16" is only the bore size.

I know that part, but I was looking for some preference on pedal feel. I've been told that the 15/16th's feels amazing, but I've also been told that it feels like crap.

The 7/8th's is going in because it requires no booster,m

If you use a larger master it will require more foot effort because you are moving more fluid than a smaller master.

A smaller master will have more foot travel to move the same amount of fluid. The pedal will feel softer.Perhaps mushy.

It may not need a booster but it's not true that a 7/8 doesn't require a booster. A brake booster simply reduces the effort needed to work the master. 

If you use a larger master it will require more foot effort because you are moving more fluid than a smaller master.

A smaller master will have more foot travel to move the same amount of fluid. The pedal will feel softer.Perhaps mushy.

It may not need a booster but it's not true that a 7/8 doesn't require a booster. A brake booster simply reduces the effort needed to work the master.

Thank you! I've been tossed around these subjects with no clear answers. I've heard from more people that they prefer the 7/8th's over the other.

As for linkage to the brake pedal, I guess I'll have to modify my own.

It's very possible you may get the results you want by going to a smaller master. Think of a hydraulic jack with a long handle. A 15/16" master is like raising a car by holding the handle close to the jack, i'st very stiff to pump. A smaller 7/8" master is like holding the handle out at the end. It travels farther but is easier to pump.

Basically it's the "You can't get something for nothing" law AKA the 'conservation of energy' law. If you move more fluid, it will require more energy (foot pressure) to do so. As cars got larger and heavier than the 510, more braking was needed. Larger masters have boosters for a reason. 

Well my 710 sedan came with a 3/4 master but it was toast and I didn't have a spare but I did have a 13/16" laying around. (maybe even a 7/8") It does have a booster but the pedal is hard, rock HARD. It's an automatic so you need to hold the brake at stops and it's not that comfortable. Pedal is very firm like a brick under it. Brakes (stock) work just fine but seems like it would be more comfortable if the pedal would go down farther.

Well my 710 sedan came with a 3/4 master but it was toast and I didn't have a spare but I did have a 13/16" laying around. (maybe even a 7/8") It does have a booster but the pedal is hard, rock HARD. It's an automatic so you need to hold the brake at stops and it's not that comfortable. Pedal is very firm like a brick under it. Brakes (stock) work just fine but seems like it would be more comfortable if the pedal would go down farther.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 15/16 in my car. The limited driving I have done tells me it's not enough. I probably need to bleed the MC again, but I've bled the calipers several times. I have brakes, but there is a LOT of pedal travel. Is there anything bigger that fits the 510 bolt pattern? I'd love to do a boosted system at some point, but not sure there's enough room.

BTW I have Z31 front and rear calipers on Z31 rotors. I think the Z31 came with a  15/16 MC as well (obviously a different bolt pattern) I assumed this was enough.

I bled the MC again and the pedal hasn't changed. There's a ton of travel, and then good pedal feel at the bottom. I have the adjustment rod all the way toward the front of the car (meaning there are no threads toward the back of the car). Is this the proper way?