I got it one piece at a time........

captain720

I finally have two locking hubs installed!!!! (thanks Lockleaf) I did not actually have to drill anything out, but I did re tap one of the holes and got some screws from superwinch. Oics will come eventually. 

Back in College after spring break so not much progress on important things has been made. :yawn:

• Like 1
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So I depressed the clutch while I was driving home earlier and it did not go in, so I applied a little (read alot) of extra pressure and it clicked and then went in. So I just went without the clutch for the rest of the way home (I am getting very good at this). Sometimes it goes in normally, other times it clicks/pops and then goes, or it just doesn't go in at all. Any ideas?

Ok guys now I have a problem.

I went out and had an epic time wheeling this truck (really surprised at how well it performed). Also you can judge, just don't be to vocal about it, it was my first time out,

IMG_20170530_211858_zpspgw8vjrz.jpg

IMG_20170528_112112354_zpswqxmhksv.jpg

IMG_20170528_122620037_zpsherpt0gm.jpg

IMG_20170528_134047669_zps55vtfmoc.jpg

IMG_20170530_210023_zpsjfhnykdb.jpg

Of course it is impossible to get pictures off the really good times and rescues, but we had a good time and didn't break anything that wasn't already broke.

And the already broken stuff is where the problems come in.

So the last owner didn't really do preventative maintenance so the tranny and T-Case are shot as they never had an oil change probably in all 239,435 miles(I am honestly surprised with how well this thing took all that abuse). So the T-Case sounds like a bunch of rocks in an aluminum lunch box going down the stairs at the empire state building in 4 low (at less than 15mph, at 20 it is downright scary with all that noise) in 2wd once you hit 50 it sounds like a mountain lion being mauled by a polar bear. The tranny doesn't like reverse or first or second and sometimes it doesn't like third. And now I think the through out bearing has meandered out of place so it is not even drive able anymore (OK, yes I can drive without a clutch all day, but I do not want too).

Bottom line I need a transfer case and a transmission, but I have not even found a scent of one. How hard is it for someone with absolutely zero transmission experience to rebuild one? Can I fix my transfer case or do I just need to locate a new one somehow? What can I take from a D21?

• Like 1

Not with all of these explosions.... And I just learned that family from Germany is coming for the first time in years that weekend.  :crying:  :yawn:  :confused:  I have to reassemble the 2wd as it blew a headgasket and is still in my parents backyard in many pieces, and I have no knowledge of transmissions so this is gonna get interesting quick, fdo I have to pull the engine to get the tranny out? Oh and I bough an S10 and college finals are in a week and a half. So no I am not going anymore and it makes me want to cry, but nothing can be done. I will try for any event I can though, watching the events section like a hawk now.

Once school gets out I will only be working like 50 hours a week and have "lots" of time.

• Like 1

A 2wd d21 transmission will bolt up to the engine but you will have to modify your intermediate shaft (trans to tcase) and possibly your trans mount.

D21 tcase won't work without significant work. Its married (directly connected) to the d21 transmission. The outputs are offset to one side and the drive shafts would have to be shortened/lengthened to fit it.

Only the T100 transfer case (720 divorced case) works in the 720. The d21 tcase is called the tx10.

If nothing else works out, i have one i can sell. PM me if you are interested.

Trans can be done through the bottom. I think it's harder that was though. But if you dont have an engine hoist, then go out the bottom.

• Like 1

Well the tranny doesn't like reverse or first or third or second gears. Synchros and bearings are gone in there. When in low range you can hear the noise and where it is coming from. And on the highway the screaming is deafening and clearly from the transfer case area. I had some one ride with me to verify my sanity.

• Like 1

Well I have had 3 go out. If you stop driving soon enough and replace the bearing the trans may be salvagable but it will go out again. It is a weakness of the b series trans 5th gear sideloads the bearing especially with a 4wd with larger tires. I swapped to the c series from a hardbody and it is still going 12 years later. Have to shorten the driveshaft, widen the shifter hole and make a simple trans mount adapter. You really tore up that truck quick.

• Like 1

Well I have had 3 go out. If you stop driving soon enough and replace the bearing the trans may be salvagable but it will go out again. It is a weakness of the b series trans 5th gear sideloads the bearing especially with a 4wd with larger tires. I swapped to the c series from a hardbody and it is still going 12 years later. Have to shorten the driveshaft, widen the shifter hole and make a simple trans mount adapter. You really tore up that truck quick.

Actually I wasn't the one that tore it up, the last owner beat the.livimg snot out of it and didn't even know how to define maintenance. I didn't think it had a gear oil change in 240k so I am actually happy and after I replace the transmission and transfer case I will have replaced almost all of the original parts that are expensive to replace. :-) I have actually babied this truck, it was just too far gone when I bought it.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well I got the new tranny and new transfer box in there. The clutch pedal works again and it runs and drives flawless. It is amazing how great these things are when they work good. :-) Now I can actually turn my attention to some seats and some body work and maybe fabricate some stuff.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Got a magnaflow installed the other day and installed some fancy back up lights that come on when I put it in reverse. Also did carb gaskets and checked headbolts. It is really neat to have this thing working so well!

Also I will try and fix my Oics soon.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Does anyone know the width in inches of the stock 720 4*4 rims? Trying to figure out if I can run these.

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/wto/d/15x10-mickey-thompson-6lug/6561579660.html

I believe stock 720 4x4 rims are 8 inches wide.

This what 35" on 10" rims look like.... 35 are too much for the truck even with a 3" body lift.

2016-09-11_211325683_49_AD4_i_OS_zpsx41j

2016-09-11_211315638_AB236_i_OS_zpsfrskt

• Like 2

I have some pics of mine on 15x10 turbines in my shenanigans thread. Haven't fixed the pics so you would need to access via pc with the extension to bypass photobucket roadblocks. They rubbed on the fenders pretty good. 31X10.5 tires, around 4 3/4 inch back spacing. Took them back off due to the rubbing. I've been running 15x8 isuzu rims for years.

Stock rim is 15x6.5

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...