洋子 (Yoko) 81 210

FIXED

Here's what I did before I solved the stupid situation. You'll know what I mean in the end. 

Threw a whole new set of fuses, replaced the hazard relay with a new one. Cleaned and greased all light bulb sockets. That did nothing, so I went on looking at a wiring diagram and found that a good ground contact is required.

Then I remembered the most basic thing I never even checked.

The battery posts!!!

Loose ground post.......Tightened er up... F***ing signals work now!

FYI: I tested out this loose post theory and its weird but true. She'll still start up even with a loose post but hazards and signals won't function.

Anyway that's all for now.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other 210 has quite a few dealer options installed but as far as I've seen, this 210 only has the undercoating as an option. No a/c, no door arm rests, no cig lighter, no radio, no antenna, no mile counter, no rear trash card slip-outs?. Not even the standard seat handle for reclining just a knob. Was the Og owner cheap? I will never know.

The Base-st dato? May just be. 

There were actually loads of them built this way. It was the "fuel miser" special. They deleted LOTS of stuff from the car to make it as light weight as possible. Then fit the smaller A12a engine with smaller jets in the carb. Most stick shift cars were 5 speeds, but all of these were 4 speed cars. 

My current project is also one of these. This is my eighth 210, and my second fuel miser model. 

Another unique thing I don't think you mentioned was the all rubber "carpet".  ^_^

Talking to a friend who worked at Bankston Datsun back at that time yielded a lot of insight into what they did with these special models. Yours is fairly unusual in having no radio though. He said all of the miser specials they got in were immediately fitted with radios and cigarette lighters, and that practice was fairly common.

• Like 1

Was looking into restoring the steelies but the sun burnt rust look is just so cool on er.

For what it's worth, the cars like yours had silver painted wheels from new. Those are the only ones that came with those nifty stainless center caps too. The higher line cars had black painted wheels and full wheel covers. 

• 2 weeks later...

There were actually loads of them built this way. It was the "fuel miser" special. They deleted LOTS of stuff from the car to make it as light weight as possible. Then fit the smaller A12a engine with smaller jets in the carb. Most stick shift cars were 5 speeds, but all of these were 4 speed cars. 

My current project is also one of these. This is my eighth 210, and my second fuel miser model. 

Another unique thing I don't think you mentioned was the all rubber "carpet".  ^_^

Talking to a friend who worked at Bankston Datsun back at that time yielded a lot of insight into what they did with these special models. Yours is fairly unusual in having no radio though. He said all of the miser specials they got in were immediately fitted with radios and cigarette lighters, and that practice was fairly common.

Looks like I ain't the only base on the shelf  :rofl:. 

Correct, I missed the rubber flooring.  I dig it a lot. Cleaning is a breeze.

I'll get some interior pics here tomorrow as I get the day off.

Well the delete plates might just be unique then. Haven't taken it off to view it's hidden counterparts nor do I intend b/c of vintage plastic, but curiosity... You just never know what will happen.

I am needing a 3.7 Diff out of a 210 "fuel miser special".

Let me know if there are any floating around that can be traded for $$ or whatever.

Can't recall but does a 1980's A15 Auto have the same diff? There's one close by that has a good one.

Now, back to a developing story...

The plan was to replace the rear rubber till May but alas things just don't happen like that.

Coming up the hill last night, about 16 miles out in the Redwoods another blown tire!

Hey, I wasn't even trying. Now granted AAA is available but this is a datsun. Get some rope, tighten up and home bound we are.

Not so much... 1 mile out and that's as far it went. AAA it the rest.

33502218213_5d54b4d131_z.jpgDSSCN0080 by cad lab, on Flickr

Guess it came sooner than later... Haha. Not Too Shabby.

Had a chance to grease the entire old front end pieces. As well as change the trans gear oil for some better stuff. Sta-Lube 85w90, API GL4 from Napa. Wasn't too happy with the stuff that I put in. Seems to shift much easily now.

All for now.

I'll get some interior pics here tomorrow as I get the day off.

Well the delete plates might just be unique then. 

It definitely is. I have a decent collection of delete plates (the 70-73 510 is the coolest one), I think at least one for every model Datsun except this car. Never even seen one...

So... Pic of that?   ^_^

Here's some of the front interior section. These here seats are ugly and falling apart, but the most comfortable I've ever sat on. If you can even believe that.

If I can get some nice late 80's sentra seat skirts I'll re-upholsterer'em.

33519589143_588b36c39d_z.jpgDSCN011 by cad lab, on Flickr

33519614723_21e8bc36a0_z.jpgDSCN13 by cad lab, on Flickr

Just look at that headliner! It's nice... Side plastics, door cards & sun visors good lookin' too.

34199061591_60098a4243_z.jpgDSCN10 by cad lab, on Flickr

It definitely is. I have a decent collection of delete plates (the 70-73 510 is the coolest one), I think at least one for every model Datsun except this car. Never even seen one...

So... Pic of that?   ^_^

Yup, Got a pic of that. I dig the styling. Not messing with it, just so cool to stare at  :w00t: .

33488094724_1276160e5f_z.jpgDSCN0 by cad lab, on Flickr

• Like 1

Anyone been able to rebuild the 4sp f4w56a? Where do I locate a Rebuild kit?

3rd has been having some trouble & I've been googling for hours with not many results either.

I'd rather rebuild and keep er as stock as possible but if push comes to shove i'll swap to a rebuild-able 4sp.

I'ma have to do some more research to see if the A12a will marry a f4w60?!

Maybe switch to a 5sp if that's even possible with the a12a.

Anyway I'll keep posted.

Updated To-Do List for this month.

Grease the most likely original; tie rod ends, idler arm, center link, ball joints.  (No time to replace, but will do sometime later in the year)

Check the staked u joints and figure out some way to grease em so they last a few 10,000 more miles.

Replace the front wheel bearings. (weird noise)

Grease the rear bearings, if it even has em....?  Need to check manual.

Replace the rear window seal sometime next month.

Change the 700 miles tranny oil and criticize it for problems. Get some good shit in there!

Change 1 tire. Ya just one!

Get a spare non rusted wheel.

Tighten heater coolant line inside cabin. Minor leak.

Replace top and bottom rad coolant lines. (Don't leak just old.)

EDIT:

Replace Accelerator Pump (2BBL Hitachi).

Replace Output Shaft Seal.

Replace Idler Arm Bushings.

Replace leaking valve cover gasket.

On another note. She got the bath she deserved. Chrome on the other hand... We'll ran outa-time and didn't get to it.

34331231692_0588cdee6d_z.jpgDSCNN0111 by cad lab, on Flickr

34331248472_d77b996d41_z.jpgDSCNN0106 by cad lab, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some parts last night & hit the tool box to get started this morning.

Hit the manuals on the search for cold temp valve #'s. Found that 0.25mm (10,000's inch) was the feeler size.

Took the air filter assembly, vacuum lines and valve cover off to inspect er.

34724302245_1e55241d1c_z.jpgDSCN0114 by cad lab, on Flickr

Found em all way to open, so adjust we go.

34339935780_acdc271cc0_z.jpgDSCN0115 by cad lab, on Flickr

Looked into what the gas stench could be. As I presumed the accelerator pumps wet!

34562501352_4271ee5d28_z.jpgDSCN0119 by cad lab, on Flickr

Only issue is I can't locate a correct one?! Maybe another datsun has the same one that's interchangeable...?

Replaced valve cover gasket with Fel-Pro cork & gave er some paint.

34562511322_4c2b345274_z.jpgDSCN0117 by cad lab, on Flickr

Man what a difference. No oil seepage, runs @ 50mph silent! & good looking.

34593254031_ce06fdb6f4_z.jpgDSCN0121 by cad lab, on Flickr

P.S. New fan belt.

• Like 1

So here's what is readily available and that I've used on all other dats I've worked on.

34673988931_a61f8b03c1_z.jpgaccpump by cad lab, on Flickr

There's always a first for everything... Come to find, I was able to locate it.

34420630360_3c1f81b5a9_z.jpgaccpumpuse by cad lab, on Flickr

Seems a bit longer on the end and I haven't taken the Hitachi apart but I presume it's the same. Or at least I hope.

Easy fix: Get a 1200 carb and put your jets in it. 

Better fix: Weber 32/36. 

^_^

I wish but I'm in California, the land of smog.

They are much harder on older stuff around here. They look underneath for cat & muffler codes for CA compliance. Take air housing off and make sure all vacuum crap is hooked up.

Took a 94 chevy in and they didn't even use a flash light... That about sums it up. 

I'm not against smog but these cars are 30+ and well, things are becoming hard to come by. So keeping em in check with smog will be getting tuff.

I'm looking into an EFI setup further down the road. Depends if I can get DMV to cooperate with smog and paperwork.

• Like 1

They are much harder on older stuff around here. They look underneath for cat & muffler codes for CA compliance. Take air housing off and make sure all vacuum crap is hooked up.

Took a 94 chevy in and they didn't even use a flash light... That about sums it up. 

I'm not against smog but these cars are 30+ and well, things are becoming hard to come by. So keeping em in check with smog will be getting tuff.

I'm looking into an EFI setup further down the road. Depends if I can get DMV to cooperate with smog and paperwork.

I just saw this build and I like it Daryl. You've got achievable goals and you're working through them systematically.

That EFI A12 is an interesting concept, it looks like something Redeye would put together on his 411. I'd be curious to see how this project evolves.

• Like 1