Restoring my families 72 510 wagon

dots510

Hello everyone, I'm new to the community here. I'm looking to restore my families 510 wagon. History is my grandfather bought it off of his cousin well over 20 years ago. He handed it down to my mother, my mother handed it down to my brother when he was old enough to drive. Once I was of age to drive he handed it down to me. I took auto tech classes in college and put work into it including rebuilding the engine. Just after I graduated it was the age my younger brother was eligible to drive so I handed it down to him. He neglected it BIG time! He had it for around 7 years and tore it up, luckily it still runs. I just got it back last week because he doesn't drive it anymore so I'm going to fix it up for my mom and brothers to use as pleasure. I'm going to do the restoration on a budget because I'm saving for a house at the moment. I have resources, I work at a aerospace shop and we have tons of equipment from 3D printers to CNC machines. I also know how to weld and my wife is good at fabrics i.e. Headliner, upholstery, door panels, dash. The only subject I'm not familiar with is paint. I'm big on pictures so I will be posting as many as I can as I progress. I joined to document in help of others going through the same thing and get advice if I hit a problem, I'm not asking questions just yet because I know answers are out there. I will post pictures once I am granted access to. -Eric

• Like 3
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Dots!

I am very much looking forward to following this resurrection & seeing it in pictures. Do you plan to attend the Eagle Rock CA. Datsun show/swap meet coming up next month? It's a great place to meet nice folks & pick up parts.

Take care & good luck with your project.

Angela

Welcome Dots!

I am very much looking forward to following this resurrection & seeing it in pictures. Do you plan to attend the Eagle Rock CA. Datsun show/swap meet coming up next month? It's a great place to meet nice folks & pick up parts.

Take care & good luck with your project.

Angela

Thanks everyone for welcoming me. And yes Angela I'm going to check out that swap meet now. I didn't hear of it before but I looked it up and it's definitely something in going to attending. It took me so long to figure out how to post pictures. I will be posting more pictures as I go along

• Like 1

One of the main problems that needed to be addressed first is the two front doors do not open from the outside, also the door handles are broken on both sides AND both two window regulator bearings are bad. So I picked up this set of doors that has good locks, handles, regulators and glass. They have some bondo on them so I'm going to take all the parts I need off them. $60 each door which I think isn't bad. IMG_0563.md.jpg

• Like 1