Panasport type wheels on a 620

ErickwithnoK

I'm trying to buy new wheels for my recently acquired 620, and am having some trouble with the 6x5.5 bolt pattern. I want to run panasport-ish wheels but there aren't any that I can find that are 6x5.5. My ideal wheel is 15x8, similar to these: http://enkei.com/shop/classic/compe/

I know that wheel spacer/adapters are an option, but I was told by a guy at Les Schwab that the rims I like are for front wheel drive cars and they won't fit my truck even with the correct bolt pattern. This has something to do with the offset, but I don't know in which direction or why...

I have very little knowledge of wheels/tires/suspension and any insight would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Learning how offset works is important t getting your stance right. I would suggest you read through a wheel fitment primer to get the basics. Then you can ask questions about other peoples fitment and understand the answers.

This one is decent.

http://www.wheelpros.com/page/offset-explained/9

Watanabe and Enkie have both made panasport style 6 lug rims, I'm sure other jdm manufacturers have as well

Learning how offset works is important t getting your stance right. I would suggest you read through a wheel fitment primer to get the basics. Then you can ask questions about other peoples fitment and understand the answers.

This one is decent.

http://www.wheelpros.com/page/offset-explained/9

Watanabe and Enkie have both made panasport style 6 lug rims, I'm sure other jdm manufacturers have as well

Thanks, I'll read that. 

I looked at both Watanabe and Enkie and didn't see any 6 lug options. Am I looking in the wrong place...? (on their websites)

OK, I now have a basic understanding of backspace and offset. Thanks for the article, it was very insightful. 

Yes you are looking in the wrong place. I would bet no one currently makes a 6 lug version. You will be buying a used, likely old, set of rims to get what you want.

If I want to run wheel spacers/adapters to 5 lug I'm sure I can find rims that I like. I will look for used but that seems like a needle in a haystack since e-bay, amazon, craigslist and google turned up empty for 6 lug panasports. Now that I understand the measurements of the wheels I'm looking at, how do I know they will fit my truck? In other words, what offset will the truck accept (I'm planning on lowering the truck 2-3 inches), how is this measured/calculated? 

Find trucks with stances you like. Ask owners what their setup is. Collect a few of those and it will give you a range of good specs. Buy rims that fit those specs.

If you are adding spacers, you need to account for that thickness when selecting rims. You SUBTRACT spacer thickness from rim offset to get your "effective offset" of using that rim plus that spacer.

So, if you find a rim you like that is 15x8 et+35 (et is the offset in millimeters) and you are running a 25mm spacer, your effective offset will be 10mm.

[Rim Offset]-[spacer]= effective offset

35 - 25 = 10

You can also work in reverse. If you know you need an offset of +20, you can buy spacers of the correct thickness to put you there.

You find rims you like at 15x8 et+55.

[Rim offset] - [desired offset] = spacer thickness

So 55 - 20 = 35mm spacers.

Remember, the offset required for proper fitment is COMPLETELY dependent on rim width. Just because a 15x7 et0 fits doesn't mean that a 15x8 et0 will. The distance from 0 offset to the outside of the rim is larger as the rim gets wider.

• Like 1

Also

Willtheyfit.net

Is an amazing resource for comparing different setups and seeing how much difference there is in terms of "poke" (rim more outside vehicle) and "rub" (rim more inside vehicle)

If u look round long enough u can find good number of them. Like japan ebay/yahoo

Great suggestion, I've been searching through Japan E-bay/Yahoo auction for the past hour. It's truly a needle in a haystack to find Enkei/Watanabe 6 lug wheels. 

Find trucks with stances you like. Ask owners what their setup is. Collect a few of those and it will give you a range of good specs. Buy rims that fit those specs.

If you are adding spacers, you need to account for that thickness when selecting rims. You SUBTRACT spacer thickness from rim offset to get your "effective offset" of using that rim plus that spacer.

So, if you find a rim you like that is 15x8 et+35 (et is the offset in millimeters) and you are running a 25mm spacer, your effective offset will be 10mm.

[Rim Offset]-[spacer]= effective offset

35 - 25 = 10

You can also work in reverse. If you know you need an offset of +20, you can buy spacers of the correct thickness to put you there.

You find rims you like at 15x8 et+55.

[Rim offset] - [desired offset] = spacer thickness

So 55 - 20 = 35mm spacers.

Remember, the offset required for proper fitment is COMPLETELY dependent on rim width. Just because a 15x7 et0 fits doesn't mean that a 15x8 et0 will. The distance from 0 offset to the outside of the rim is larger as the rim gets wider.

Thanks, I'll browse the forums for some wheels and tires threads and ask some people what they're running. My understanding is that spacers will help since the panasport wheel type tends have a positive offset. Don't want my wheels hanging out the side of the car too far, though...I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere. I just need to find the right products.

6 lug panasport will likely have truck offsets because they were only manufactured to fit trucks. You still may want more, but rim manufacturers knew their 6 lug rims weren't going on some fwd econobox.

Does anyone know off the top of thier head if a 15x6 zero offset will fit under the 620 fenders?

This should piss you off:

DSC00768_zpsifdp3tvs.jpg

DSC00766-600x400_zps2f4qlhkp.jpg

Enkei Decem 10's in 15x7. CircuitDreamer was asking $1200 and they were already sold!!!

I gave up on trying to find the ultra rare Panasport or TE37 in 6 lug. When i find them, they are either trashed or super expensive (or both). Im going in a different direction - hence my question above...

Look around here:'  http://circuitdreamer.com/product-category/wheels/

Does anyone know off the top of thier head if a 15x6 zero offset will fit under the 620 fenders?

This should piss you off:

DSC00768_zpsifdp3tvs.jpg

DSC00766-600x400_zps2f4qlhkp.jpg

Enkei Decem 10's in 15x7. CircuitDreamer was asking $1200 and they were already sold!!!

I gave up on trying to find the ultra rare Panasport or TE37 in 6 lug. When i find them, they are either trashed or super expensive (or both). Im going in a different direction - hence my question above...

Look around here:'  http://circuitdreamer.com/product-category/wheels/

It would piss me off more if 1200 was something I was willing to spend on wheels! Believe it or not I think I found some for half that in better shape on Japanese Yahoo Auctions...afraid to link it haha.

Wouldn't a +35 wheel plus a 25mm spacer end up at +60 where a -35 wheel plus a 25mm spacer end up at +10?

My understanding is just the opposite. As the dish gets bigger on the outer side of the wheel, that's - offset. So adding a spacer increases the space you have between your wheel and the wheel well, which is good for our little pickups when running wheels that don't have much negative offset. 

No, positive offset means the wheel mounting surface is pushed farther away from the hub, so a spacer negates wheel offset.

Ahhh. I have it backwards then. -35 wheel plus 25mm spacer end up at +60.

I had to go back and stare at the pic in Lockleaf's link and it made perfect sense.

Chevy rally rims make a nice starting point for clean stance in my opinion.

78-87 Chevy Blazers and suburbans 4x4

I have a set of these with 195-60's onm them and they look sweet. They are stretched a little and have a very aggresive look.

LongBed011.jpg

Rallys005.jpg

The specs on them are 15x8 et-23(ish)