Plastic Washer found in 83 Z24 oil Pan, What is it?

DrvnDrvr

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the quick response.

After looking through the FSM, Haynes, Chilton and nissanpartsdeal.com I can't find the plunger washer you'll are referring to.

The engine ran real good when pulled from the truck to get the tranny rebuilt so I thought I'd replace a leaky oil pan gasket while it was out. The timing chain got real quiet when I changed the oil when I first bought this truck.

I'm wondering how the engine would run with this washer in the oil pan?

Would it be able to produce sufficient pressure to keep the timing chain quiet?

I'm thinking that washer is pretty far in there. I don't want to pull the timing cover if I don't have to.

Could it have been previously replaced and the mechanic didn't take the oil pan completely off leaving the old one

in it?

The plunger is the tensioner that goes into the little block bolted below chain guide on the slack side. Oil pressure pushes it against the chain to take out the slack. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, so you should be fine. My new timing chain was tight enough that it didn't need the washer. The plunger was pretty much butted against the little block.

• Like 1

The timing chain got real quiet when I changed the oil when I first bought this truck.

I'm wondering how the engine would run with this washer in the oil pan?

Would it be able to produce sufficient pressure to keep the timing chain quiet?

I'm thinking that washer is pretty far in there. I don't want to pull the timing cover if I don't have to.

Could it have been previously replaced and the mechanic didn't take the oil pan completely off leaving the old one

in it?

1/  I've heard this about Z series engines but never experienced it myself. They tell you when it's time to change your oil.

2/ the engine will run just fine with it in the oil pan and probably has for tens of thousands of miles. I have pulled several tensioners... none had this washer on them.

3/ this washer has zero to do with containing or producing pressure.

4/ see 2/ above

5/ possibly the timing chain guides and tensioner were replaced in the past, probably it just fell apart, it is broken. Not worth the bother to fish it out or put a new one in

If your idle oil pressure is 20 PSI then the tensioner oil pressure only ads 4 1/4 pounds of extra push on the timing chain. At 55 PSI it's only 11.6  It's not a lot, just has to keep any slack from flopping around.

• Like 2