1982 datsun diesel project

I have a 1982 nissan datsun pickup diesel sd22 5 speed i am currently in the process of restoring it the truck is being painted right i like the truck and all its just that the truck is to slow it only goes 80 mph and i was wondering if i could put a turbo in it to make it faster and some other preformance parts to make it faster should i do this or can the engine not handle this

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to talk to Wayno. He's our resident sd guru. He has a turbo charged one. I know that they are surprisingly difficult to turbo reliably.

I've always thought a Mercedes OM617 3 liter 5 cylinder turbo would be an excellent choice as a diesel swap in a 720.

I have no idea if the SD22 engine can withstand a turbocharger for long or not, as they do not have turbo pistons in them, but the SD33 did have turbo pistons in the 1980 turbo engine, at least I believe that is the year, I suspect them pistons will fit in a SD22, but I don't know it.

I have heard of others that did try to turbocharge a SD22, all but one failed as far as I can tell, as none of their threads had a happy ending, I suspect most tried to use to large a turbocharger and could not build any boost.

Here is a link to a thread I have on the Nissan diesel forums, you could read it and maybe start to understand what is involved.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3474

Here is a thread on the diesel forums about the only guy I know of that might have succeeded turbocharging a SD22, his thread doesn't explain it all either, but I did do some messaging with him recently as he was trying to sell his turbo engine on craigslist, he is the reason I have power now, he told me something he did to his engine, and that gave me an idea that worked on my engine although mine is not set up like his engine, as mine would overheat the way his was set up.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=495

• Like 1

I have a 1982 nissan datsun pickup diesel sd22 5 speed i am currently in the process of restoring it the truck is being painted right i like the truck and all its just that the truck is to slow it only goes 80 mph and i was wondering if i could put a turbo in it to make it faster and some other preformance parts to make it faster should i do this or can the engine not handle this

WHEW!  Slow down and use some punctuation!

• Like 2

OK, I am back, 70mph is about it for these little diesel trucks, the SD22 just don't like being revved past 3000rpms, as I recall I never was able to get past 70mph in my SD22 720 except going down hill, they like 55mph/60mph, if your floored all the time your likely getting the EGTs up there pretty high, that's not good for the engine.

The turbocharger I have is for a VW 1600cc engine I believe, and I have an SD25(2500cc) diesel engine, I have an EGT gauge connected to my non-turbocharged engine, and it gets pretty hot if I am trying to go down the freeway at 70/80mph and I come to a hill, I have to let off the pedal sometimes, as the EGTs get to 1400 degrees, and this one is not turbocharged.

Read the threads I posted links to, it's a lot of work turbocharging one of these engines, as you have to make just about everything, it likely would be cheaper to buy one of them used Nissan turbocharged engines on ebay and install it, it certainly would be less of a headache.

I didn't put my turbocharged engine together, but I am the one that made it work for a normal driver, it was a keep your eye on everything engine setup till I figured it out, now I can let others drive it and not have to warn them about anything, all I have to do is sit there and smile.

• Like 1

Your not likely going to get any more performance out of adding a larger SD25 intake manifold/throttlebody(is larger) or a larger exhaust unless your exhaust has been collapsed/pinched off, the SD22 was rated at 61hp from the factory, a turbocharger set up properly would likely bump it up to 90hp, but the SD22 is what it is, that is why I have all SD25 engines now in my trucks, the SD22 just doesn't have the HP, the SD25 has 71hp which is noticeable.

If you fiddle around with the smoke screw you might get a couple more HP, but it will start to blow a noticeable amount of black smoke.

The way your driving I would suspect your getting 26/27mpg on the hiway, is that about right?