L series swap

datsunfreak

A friend has a 521 with the early pushrod engine. It's seized and obviously parts for it are hard to find. He has tons of L parts, two complete L16s, and a couple of 5spds. 

So what does it take? Do I need the L engine brackets from an L-powered 521? From pics, they look awfully similar to 510 engine brackets. Any other things to look out for to do the conversion?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the one year only '69 L521. Earlier is a 520, later is a PL521 with the L16

Frame mounting for the rubber isolators are much different than for the L series. Get your welder.

520 and J13 powered 521 had a 4.875 ratio differential. It's going to rev like crazy but the L16 can handle it.

Depends on the 5 speed.... the dogleg will fit without cutting the driveshaft but the 71B transmissions will. Both will need mounting modifications.

• Like 2

That would be the one year only '69 L521. Earlier is a 520, later is a PL521 with the L16

Frame mounting for the rubber isolators are much different than for the L series. Get your welder.

520 and J13 powered 521 had a 4.875 ratio differential. It's going to rev like crazy but the L16 can handle it.

Depends on the 5 speed.... the dogleg will fit without cutting the driveshaft but the 71B transmissions will. Both will need mounting modifications.

You are correct on the motor mounts Mike. I've got an L20B in mine and the only real problem is you can't run a mechanical fan unless you cut the rad support. I did'nt want mine cut, so I went with an electric push fan connected to a thermostatic switch. The heater lines will be tight between the head and firewall. I will be installing a dogleg 5spd from a 200 sx soon, so I will let you know of any mods. I currently have a 510 4spd with a custom made 1 piece drveshaft. Alternator will have to go onto the left lower side of motor too. I'm not sure what oil pan I have, it came with the truck. The cross member has to be modified a bit too.