sondat

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Let the wheel fitment begin. Brought this 17X8.5 with -6mm offset home for fitment trial only.

44693605902_df6c445b8d.jpg

44693605522_c1bf820b62.jpg

The fitment on the back works, there is a 1/4" of rim beyond the sheet metal and 1.5"of space from the inside of the rim to the frame.

Now for the front fitment. Are all these trucks F'd up where the hub mounting surface on the front is further out than on the back by 1.5 inches?

30872389518_bfb25673e8.jpg

30872388688_51fc926905.jpg

30872388108_113e8b3357.jpg

30872387428_3a4d143984.jpg

44693603892_08d84a6d4b.jpg

still good clearance on the inside but ridiculous overhang beyond the sheet metal.

Edited by sondat
  • Like 3

I like the look of the rims but something does seem wrong when you put it on the front....

I never measured mine but never had them look out of place either... 

Did you upgrade or change the front suspension ?

Are you mocking up the same rim front and rear? Meaning how many rims did you get to see if they fit....

Just trying to think .... if you got more than one rim do they have the same offset?

• Like 1

Yep....got my attention now too.  My setup will push each side out 5/8".....which is never a concern for the stock steel rims it was designed to fit.  The front sheet metal is a bit narrower than the rear.....I'm pretty sure......which will account for some of the difference, but there's seems to be more overhang in the pic than there should be.

• Like 1

Hey Mike, yes I removed spacer. Good to know that there is a 5/8” addition in offset. With that and the contour of the truck curving in at the front that probably is the reason for the difference. We have sourced some rims that are the same size 17x7.5 but different offsets to even up the look front to back.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, sondat said:

Hey Mike, yes I removed spacer. Good to know that there is a 5/8” addition in offset. With that and the contour of the truck curving in at the front that probably is the reason for the difference. We have sourced some rims that are the same size 17x7.5 but different offsets to even up the look front to back.

I was wondering if getting a different offset was possible, guess you thought of that..... keep it up....

• Like 1

Truck is beautiful. 

I am in the process of fitting the 1998- 2002 Isuzu Trooper 16x7 -38 offset wheels on my 1980 720 chassis under my 66 520.  I tried a 7.5 inch wide wheel and for me was just 2 wide.  7" is as wide as I want to go.

I had Mike Klotz's disc brake kit on my 520 chassis before I swapped chassis and I can testify that like Mike said his kit make WMS to WMS 1.25" wider than stock.

• Like 2

My son would love a set of custome fitted Rays but a little over his budget. Like the mall crawler reference d.p We found a set of 17x8 with positive 35 offset that just fit inside sheet metal, not the Rays but will look good for now, haven’t purchased yet. Will check out love20bee.com first, thanks for that mrbigtanker. Will post more pics soon with chosen rims

• Like 1
11 hours ago, sondat said:

Different strokes for different folks d.p Can appreciate the look your 521 has going on but would look better if you got those rims and skins in the box bolted on?

True...but all the time, money and work into that truck to end up with those wheels.  And lol I bet you and your son would love to put those 19"s on your 521.  ? 

And don't get me wrong I would love to do something like this with my son but he's just not old enough to want to wrench on my truck.  Out of curiosity how much of the work on the truck has your son don?  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1