sondat

new member, first post.

2 hours ago, sondat said:

Back to it! Had a couple weeks of visiting family but off work this week so trying to finish up some loose ends on the truck. Having an issue with the turn signals. The hazards work but turn signals don’t, when TS lever is pushed the light goes on steady, no flashing. I’ve confirmed the signal light housings are grounded as well as the turn signal switch. Not sure if this matters but the hazard lights flash at a slow rate (might be normal?) I tried a different flasher unit for the signals with the same result. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Flashers are load dependent on old Datsuns. Turn the 4 ways on and look to see if all bulbs are working. Possibly one is burned out on both sides.

• Like 1

Good info fellas. The batteries brand new, I will check what it’s putting out. Only the tail lights are hooked up so the flasher is lightly loaded. Mike, is this the reason for the slower blinking with the hazards? Still not sure why the turn signals are acting the way they are though.

• Like 1

So, the fronts aren’t hooked up at all? That would be part of the problem.

• Like 1

Yeah the current flowing through the flasher warms a bi-metallic strip which will bend, opening the contacts turning the lamps off. It quickly cools and the strip un-bends, makes contact and this repeats. If a bulb burns out there is not enough current flow to make it work. If you were to run a trailer on these, the extra bulbs will cause the flasher to speed up. Newer cars have electronic flashers. The are 'solid state' transistor type with a set flash rate unaffected by load. A bulb could burn out and you'd never know it.

• Like 1

Have the front signal lights hooked up, they are only LED lights so I’m assuming it’s not adding much draw. I will pick up the solid state flashers tomorrow for turns and hazards. I’m not optimistic that this will fix my problem. Here’s some symptoms. Hazards work front and back with key on, hazards work back only with key off. Turn signals need key on (of course) but they only come on steady (no blinky), and the signal indicators don’t work at all, hazards or turn signals. I’ve rung out the indicator bulbs, there good. I’ve also bypassed the hazard switch giving the same results, so hazard switch is good. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Get an electronic flasher unit. I just go to any wrecking yard and grab one of a newer car or truck.

• Like 1

Will do Mike. Was playing around with newly installed led headlights tonight and noticed the right turn signal indicator does light up faintly when signal is on. Either a grounding issue or the required electronic flasher. I suppose I could pull the one from my 2008 F150 to try.

• Like 1

Success, two new electronic flashers and problem solved. There’s always something else to learn. thanks for the help

• Like 1

If you’re running LED bulbs, it’s practically required.

• Like 1

I get it now mainer311. I wasn’t optimistic going into it, thought I’d still have an electrical nightmare to chase down. What a pleasant surprise. Tested all the indicator bulbs in the gauge cluster, all rang out good but the left turn signal indicator isn’t working, maybe in the circuitry of the gauge cluster some where. What’s going on with your ride mainer311 back on the road?

• Like 1

Clean the contacs for the light socket.  Test the board contacts with a test light or multi meter to be sure your have current to light the bulb. Test the bulb and the socket.  Try a differnt socket and bulb that you know works. Many was to test.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, sondat said:

What’s going on with your ride mainer311 back on the road?

Yup! All back together and all is well. Well almost. My gas tank looks to have been plugged before by a PO, and it was a shoddy job, so I may be dropping the tank soon. Also just installed some NOS fender mirrors.

GnTjUiR.jpg

• Like 2

I have a spare tank but I bet shipping would be pretty steep . It is out of our truck that we parted out. It looks about the same shape as the original tank that we wire wheeled the outside of and painted it up. I scoped the inside of both tanks and they looked comparable as well, just some small surface rust spots but overall pretty clean inside. I was thinking of taking the sending unit out for a spare. Your ride looks great, nice clean truck. I do like the mirrors, curious what the functionality would be like with them further from the driver position. We struggled with location of side mirrors since all the old holes were welded up which gave us a clean slate for placing them. We went near the no draft windows. I had the previous week off so got lots done. Wired up and installed new Lumen LED halo head lights, replaced flashers to electronic (as you know), permanently installed gauge cluster, heater, sun visors and front valance.

47878223111_df7bf1f88f.jpg

32933979047_74aeb602fb.jpg

47088743554_f7a747dbbf.jpg

47878222811_c10d4185c6.jpg

47878222231_a101543a66.jpg

The no draft windows were previously dissembled and powder coated black to match the rest of the look of the truck. My son and I spent about 5 hours in the basement today installing all the glass with all new rubbers/seals, also the re-upholstered door cards. I am going to start a separate post on our experience installing the glass, what a bear that was. Now that we got that process dialled in, others might like us to share.

46961956105_eb4d24c283.jpg

46961955625_a111bf6984.jpg

Edited by sondat
  • Like 5

Jeez, those doors look awesome. 

In the location I put my mirrors (based off of some photo research I did on other 521’s) they’re basically blind spot mirrors like Mrbigtanker mentioned in my build thread. He’s right. For changing lanes and stuff, I’m looking over my shoulders anyway, so I use them for situational awareness. 

I’d definitely pay to have that tank shipped if you were willing to do it. We don’t have access to stuff like that up here in New England. If you’re serious about shipping it, name your price. 

• Like 1

Update on the never ending project. Towed our 521 to a trusted shop for 2” exhaust with a super turbo muffler. They also did an alignment and fired it up confirming our thoughts on replacing the carb. Weber is on order, should be here any day. Also had the bed liner sprayed in. Things left are hang the doors, windshield wipers and motor install, bleed the breaks and clutch slave and order some seatbelts. List is looking a little more manageable. mainer311, I PM’d you a while back on that spare tank, sorry to say we’re going to hang on to it. 

Edited by sondat
  • Like 1

No worries man. I've been monitoring mine, and it's not dripping (yet), so I'm going to run it as-is until it gets worse.

• Like 1