new member, first post.

sondat

Finally have new wheels and rubber mounted, clearance and fitment turned out great. will eventually change out to longer rear studs to allow for 1/4 inch wheel shims.

45216488831_07f7240ea9.jpg

45216486541_4e7f491888.jpg

44494900884_565351e0fa.jpg

Have installed the dash, dash pad and began sound deadening of fire wall and floor.

45216490491_6036efb430.jpg

44494904934_35d1b674f0.jpg

Completed shorter transmission mount, painted it along with drive shaft steady bearing brackets. will be installing driveline this week.

45216490961_e9804656af.jpg

44494905584_604a7f5ca5.jpg

Edited by sondat
delete flickr labels attached to pictures
  • Like 6
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was ready to get steering column back in but had to look at restoring the rubber housing that goes around column at fire wall. I’m assuming this part is not reproduced. We could use the old one so are trying to soak it in a 3:1 ratio of rubbing alcohol and wintergreen oil which is supposed to soften the rubber. Will let you know how it goes. 

• Like 2

Borrowed radiator pressure tester from work and pressurized radiator to 10lbs and submerged in tub of water. Had a leak in one old rad hose we used to seal inlet and outlets together, cut that part off and re pressurized with success.

43457661040_f2052f1968.jpg

44360208915_61d48e4d85.jpg

44360205275_5d02ede776.jpg

Completed install of drive shaft and am now laying all new break and clutch plumbing under the hood. Started by shaping the clutch line and then used it as a template to shape the 2 break lines that run parallel to it.

30333244007_691f2daaa5.jpg

30333243067_94b0bf05e2.jpg

30333245747_dfcb52084a.jpg

44360198175_c2b6d7a60f.jpg

Edited by sondat
  • Like 3

I love your truck, as different strokes yes I agree there would be a lot better choices of wheels.  However still clean and looking good. I will say I would at this time shorten your steering colum 3”. This would be the time to do it and so worth it.  Keep up the good work.

Edited by mrbigtanker
Add word
  • Like 2

Good catch on the break/brake d.p maybe I shouldn’t be working on them if I can’t spell it, lol. I noticed on the forum about shortening the steering column mrbigtanker, we probably should. Might mock it up first to see. My son and I are both over 6ft tall so the original bench seat will be adjusted all the way back so wondering if column will be ok. Had two 521’s when I was younger and don’t remember the steering wheel crowding me but I was young and probably just happy to have some wheels, not thinking about comfort.

• Like 2

I have shortened many Datsun columns all for my 520.  I am running a 1980 720 2wd chassis and I think this last column was shortened 7", and the column was raised 1/2" at the dash bracket.

It is real easy to shorten a column that has a rag joint.

• Like 3

Steering column shortening....now I'm listening. :)

Keep in mind that when you shorten it, it will pull the wheel down a lot on the seat making it really hard to slide your leg under a stock steering wheel.  I'll be looking forward to seeing how you do it.  I've been planning on doing this on my YT channel for years...in fact, I even picked up a column earlier this year for just that purpose.  Charlie.....I don't remember hearing/seeing anything about you shortening 520 columns.  Did I just miss it or is it something you haven't shared?  I'd like to get your input on how you do it.........via email. :)

• Like 2

I am on call with work this weekend so could have no truck time or lots of truck time, one never knows. Hopefully get to install seat and column to check. Thanks for the reminder on the wheel to seat spacing Mike, I remember reading that as well as compensating for the gap, wheel to plastic housing since we are using a Grant wheel and adapter.

• Like 3

My brother rag jointed the original column and steering box using a 720 4x4 non tilt steering column I think it was shorten 6".  This is on page one of the build fist post.  it is detailed better in a post a little father down the page.

Later I did a column for the 1980 720 chassis that I swapped under the 66 520 .   I cut the column and outer tube with a cut of wheel, and beveled the shaft for welding back together.  I used a piece of angle iron to lay the 2 pieces of shaft in and clamped the pieces of shaft to angle iron to minimize the heat warpage.  My brother spot welded the shafts together and unclamped an rotated the column made 2 more tacs after rotating the column between each tac. My brother then used the layered weld to finish welding it back together while I was turning the shaft laying in 2 pieces of angle.  Garret built up the weld to the point that he was able to use a flap disc to dress the weld to the original shaft diameter.  This process works but the lathe metod produces a better looking finished product.

Layered-Weld2-zps11a40cf4.jpg

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2

Thanks Charlie69. So far work has not called me out so going out to garage now to start mocking up column, wheel and bench seat. The process your mentioning sounds familiar, think I read that post before. If we do shorten shaft there is a machine shop at my work and they have helped me out in the past. Will see if they can use lathe for cleaner results.

• Like 2

Not sure what’s keeping steering shaft/column from seating. Sector shaft is removed so that’s not binding, ring of ball bearings is flipped and placed correctly in bottom of steering box. Once shaft is seated into ball bearings we attempt to slide column tube into place and it stops short about a 1/4 inch gap (flange of column tube to steering box).

• Like 1

You pulled the steering column apart???

I believe that Mike Klotz has some experience with that and I also believe it is not something that should be done, try to get ahold of Mike, he might be able to walk you thru putting it back together, as I recall it has to be centered to get it back together.

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne. :)

I'll throw some links in here just in case they're needed.  It sounds like it's the end bearing falling out of position.  I used some wheel bearing grease to hold it in place if I remember right.  I think one of the vids shows/explains it....been too long, I just don't remember without watching them again.

I think this should list the playlist on YT that has all 5 vids.  I just rearranged them so that the one that should have the info you want is first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI9ex_2e5Po&list=PLAUFP46xkHEw7gogrdHDcYScFIf6_NY9C

• Like 1

Hey Wayno, we did pull the steering column apart. The only thing on this truck that hasn’t been disassembled is the diff and donated dog leg (new seals though). Thanks Mike for the links, I have seen a couple of those vid’s before but not the gear box one though so this will help. Hopefully get column to steering box mated tomorrow after work. Have taken some measurements of the original wheel to the new grant wheel. Datsun steering wheel is 15.25 inch’s in diameter and a 4 inch offset our new grant wheel is 14 inch’s in diameter which will help if shortening steering column (seat to bottom of wheel).

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally have column and Grant wheel mocked up, fitment for my son and I is pretty good, worth trying before we shorten column. Anyone want to play a game of name that part? Somehow lost track of where this washer came from, I hope this doesn't sway someones thinking but I believe it came from the steering column or steering box but not sure.

45735873341_116d7110e1.jpg

45735871921_a0a7b40830.jpg

Edited by sondat
  • Like 1

I don’t recall taking the old tie rod boots apart but could be possible wayno. If it is a shim from the steering column and the holes are for grease to transfer through it would be from the streering gear box end, correct? There is no grease or lube at the steering wheel end of the column.

• Like 1

The reason I brought this possibility up is that I have never took a steering gear apart, yet I have a washer with I believe 4 holes that looks exactly like the one you have stuck to the street in front of my house, I believe old dried out grease is holding it there, it has been there for years, I believe it came off a tie rod.

The quarter is for size comparison.

002.jpg

• Like 1

Think I found the washer with the 2 small holes in a schematic of the steering wheel and horn assembly. The exploded view shows it against the rubber plug which sits flush in the column tube. It shows it being placed over steering rod befor the 2 piece tapered retainer goes on.  http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972/steering-frame/steering-wheel  the only difference is mine doesn’t have the tab protruding off edge of washer. Thanks for everyone’s help/input.