74 620 pickup truck

Racso_Dor

Hi fellow Datsun enthusiasts,

Check out my father's truck, he has slowly brought it back to life.

Needs little things here and there In which I am helping him get .. For example I'm looking for rear tail lights with a one piece bracket .. And a 5 speed tranny - although I'm trying to convince pops to throw a swap into this thing!

Well Lmk what you think, and if you know a place where I can pick up parts for this thing..

B8D446B8-420A-4A4D-92C7-9B7B8F86AEF1_zps

E41F16E3-B1C5-49B6-BB42-DB71DE364770_zps

2B6B918F-2F81-4BE4-9E18-0F579BE47991_zps

94CE5305-881A-432D-9CA8-FC099D827AB8_zps

• Like 2
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B8D446B8-420A-4A4D-92C7-9B7B8F86AEF1_zps

E41F16E3-B1C5-49B6-BB42-DB71DE364770_zps

There you go, I did the first two for you and I'll let you figure out the other two

Looks good

Looks like pops truck needs markers, bumper and headlight rings too. You can post a wanted add in the classifieds for these parts. There are lots of these trucks out on the West Coast but not many in your neck of the woods. Getting your hands on a L-series 5spd is going to be pricey because of shipping.

Edit: needs badges too, grill and fender

• Like 1

Very nice early survivor. 

Hang on to that grille. I believe the early grilles with separate headlight rings are very desirable keepers.

It can be painted/coated/plated to give it a second life.

Just tell Pop to take his time and run a few classified ads here. In Ratsun you have found a source of very helpful semi-experts with knowledge and hard to find parts.

Check out   rockauto.com   if you haven't yet.

Keep On Truckin'

• Like 1

There you go, I did the first two for you and I'll let you figure out the other two

Looks good

Looks like pops truck needs markers, bumper and headlight rings too. You can post a wanted add in the classifieds for these parts. There are lots of these trucks out on the West Coast but not many in your neck of the woods. Getting your hands on a L-series 5spd is going to be pricey because of shipping.

Edit: needs badges too, grill and fender

Thanks man! He has a few of those miscellaneous items, we will probably put them on after we wet sand and buff it and your absolutely correct, I see a lot of the guys who post about these trucks are on the west coast. I'm currently doing research to see what other Datsun 5speed tranny would fit

Very nice early survivor. 

Hang on to that grille. I believe the early grilles with separate headlight rings are very desirable keepers.

It can be painted/coated/plated to give it a second life.

Just tell Pop to take his time and run a few classified ads here. In Ratsun you have found a source of very helpful semi-experts with knowledge and hard to find parts.

Check out   rockauto.com   if you haven't yet.

Keep On Truckin'

Thanks for the tip!  :thumbup:

94CE5305-881A-432D-9CA8-FC099D827AB8_zps

'74 or older by the looks. These trucks look so much alike through the years it's really hard to know. That grill was used through '77.

If a '74, then the FS5W71B 5 speed options are easier to make. Any L series 5 speed from a 620 or 720 truck, z or zx, 810 or Maxima will, literally 'drop in'. 

If a '73, then the shorter FS5W63A dogleg is the easiest but rarest transmission to find. You can still put an FS5W71B in by finding a shorter front driveshaft from a '74 and up truck that used the longer transmission.

• Like 1

You mean transmission. Yes the first gen 200sx 5 speed is a popular swap into the PL521 and '73 L16 powered 620. The crossmember under it does need some mods but it fits for length and the speedometer cable is in the same location. The drawback is it's usually hard to find one that isn't extremely well used and worn out. It also won't take truck duty abuse. Driving is ok but if the truck earns a living it's too light duty.

ya sorry i guess i had my head somewhere else. Btw i paid 300 CAD for it and still dunno if its worth it. I moved accross Canada and left the original one back there since the monkey tail was broken. With where I am, I would have to find someone in northern NY...

Monkey motion was the nick name for the 510/521 4 speed shifter also used on the earliest Z 4 speed the 610/710 and A10. The 200sx transmission had a B style shifter with the plastic bushings and pin through the bottom of  it.

wasnt the original trans for a '73 the FS5W63A? Ayway all i remember is the mounting ears on the piece holding the lever being jimmy rigged. I then wanted to remove the shaft in hope of installing a new part but never got around to removing it...so i gave up and left it there

Re read and on track now. Yes, F4W63 is the stock 4 speed transmission fot the '73 truck. The FS5W63A is optional in the B-210 and standard equipment in the S10 200sx. If you had one someone already swapped it in. 

The F4W63 was two piece with a removable oil pan on the bottom and a waffle design casting

The FS5W63A was two piece sandwiching a steel adapter plate and a smooth casting on the outside.

Being a 72, if you do 5spd swap not only will u need trans,but if u go long tail, u will need the shaft from a later truck. Also I been told the crossmember I still need to check that part. Good lookong truck. I been doing a ground up restore and have minor upgrades I been doing.

long speed trans crossmembers from the later trucks are different, might be able to make the original crossmember work because there's three mounting holes down there on the frame (i think) and only use two of them.... i'll have to look at my truck to make sure i'm right on that, probably wrong. also the transmission inspection cover will need to be switched out with a later model one or redrilled to flip it around. or cut a new hole in it for the further back location of the shifter. 

• Like 1

long speed trans crossmembers from the later trucks are different, might be able to make the original crossmember work because there's three mounting holes down there on the frame (i think) and only use two of them.... i'll have to look at my truck to make sure i'm right on that, probably wrong. also the transmission inspection cover will need to be switched out with a later model one or redrilled to flip it around. or cut a new hole in it for the further back location of the shifter. 

I have both crossmebers i will check tommorow to help out. 

• 2 years later...