'69 4 door dime - DD project

Plusnone

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More pictures of that center console?

I'll take some later tonight and post. The armrest pad is cracked, it's hinge replaced with something generic from a hardware store and the rear of the console is badly cracked. It was screwed into the tunnel with drywall screws... Oh, and the shifter hole was hacked out of it and had a square boot. At first I didn't think it was factory, but the fit on the tunnel and the tray to heater are great... I'll post oics...

Another highly sought after piece right there. Not in the best shape.. but it would serve you to fix it up and keep it!

No no no. You tell him oh man it's super jacked your car needs better stuff. I guess i will trade you this perfect condition dodge neon console for it. It will look way better.

• Like 1

No no no. You tell him oh man it's super jacked your car needs better stuff. I guess i will trade you this perfect condition dodge neon console for it. It will look way better.

Super jacked up, I actually threw it away already... Did you say dodge neon! I love those cars, sexy.

I'm also not to keen on those side marker lights... Anyone want those?

Just joking.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slow moving, full time job, 2 kids, wife in school, and not to mention a nasty cold that's been hanging around our house for a month... Also, the dime is in a carport so any work after 8pm or so has to be stealth mode. FML

Came out to a break-in the other morning, thankfully nothing personal or datsun related was taken just my bench grinder and drill set. So now I have a security camera!

That's my rant, here's the little that has happened recently.

Metal fender emblem via eBay for $20 shipped!!! The seller (nelson_hooey) isn't datsun specific but he packaged the emblem very securely and included the panel clips!

IMAG2825_zps0juafea9.jpg

Cleaned out the clutch and brake reservoirs and bled the clutch and started flushing the brakes. Pulled one drum and these brakes look to be in decent enough shape I'm going to try and run them with out a rebuild and save that money for a conversion.

Before:

IMAG2760_zps524ozx1b.jpg

Oops no after...

IMAG2764_zpsdrw08dho.jpg

And a little something

IMAG2836_zpspj3ksxsd_edit_1488302210391_

Also, the parking brake cable was snapped, so I pulled that out and will either make a new one or just buy a new one. Really hoping to finish bleeding the brakes and have the parking brake done as these things are (self imposed) prerequisites for me starting the car.

• 1 month later...

Well, its been a while but I got a little work done recently. Sorry no oics. I bled the brakes, flushed all new fluid through the lines and the pedal response just isn't there.  I should say I vacuum bled the lines from the bleeders as I couldn't build up pressure at the pedal. Also, the reservoirs were dry when I got the car so it took me awhile to pull the air out of the lines. Its not a spongy air-in-the-lines kind of feeling though. I've felt that before. There's a noticeable albeit slight resistance about halfway through the pedal's travel but it goes straight to the floor. I've never felt a bad master cylinder but this is my first thought.

So here's my dilemma; I want to go 280 zx struts and brakes in the front and discs (probably maxima) in the back as well but was hoping to hold off on that for a while, at least until its running. The existing pads, rotors, shoes and drums look decent enough but putting money into a the stock system would be better spent on the upgrade. Can I get a larger disc/disc MC, a 7/8" z-car or 15/16" zx, do the rear disc conversion and leave the stock fronts until I have the full 280zx strut / brake package to install. I've looked and couldn't find much info related to this, as upgrading the rear and leaving stock fronts is counterintuitive. I also just got a parking brake cable for the original parking brake lever and would like to keep that, and the maxima caliper / 200sx rotor rear conversion seems like the best fit. 

Good news, the clutch master and slave seem to work just fine. Bled those and there's solid pedal feel! Also, other good news - drained the oil and no surprises just old and dirty.