77 620 5 speed transmission

Apollo77

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CA17B? Maybe the same trans, but with the wrong bellhousing?

Agreed with flatcat, fix the leak. They are very simple transmissions and the only leak that is difficult to fix is when the shifter cone is leaking, but even then, it's a simple o-ring fix. Buy new seals from Nissan and user black "Right Stuff" RTV on the case and front cover.

You may want to have a shop reseal it, as it's a tricky repair for someone who has never done one. If you took the trans out and brought it in, I bet it wouldn't cost $200 to have it resealed by a local mechanic.

The Z one does in fact bolt right in, as long as you used your original mounts.  I've put 280Z or 280ZX 5-speed transmissions in almost every one of my 620s.  Only year they don't fit (for 620s) is '73, because they used the shorter trans that one year.  Speedometer will be off, through.

The other one (CA71?)  I have no idea, unless it's a trans for a CA series engine...  would have been an import trans, since no CA-equipped RWD cars were sold here. 

The Z one does in fact bolt right in, as long as you used your original mounts.  I've put 280Z or 280ZX 5-speed transmissions in almost every one of my 620s.  Only year they don't fit (for 620s) is '73, because they used the shorter trans that one year.  Speedometer will be off, through.

The other one (CA71?)  I have no idea, unless it's a trans for a CA series engine...  would have been an import trans, since no CA-equipped RWD cars were sold here.

Early S12 200sx had a single cam CA.

• Like 1

Getting close. Use the "share" tab and then copy the image code and paste it here.

Basically on my desk top computer I click on the photo I want and it fills my screen, then above the photo there are a series of boxes, one of them looks like a chain link, I click on that one and 4 different boxes appeared to the side, the bottom one had IMG in the code, I clicked that one and it copied it, then I pasted it in the reply field and hit post.

This is on my desk top though using your photolame account, don't know a thing about hand held computers.

The tail housing from any 71B trans should work. That would be any 4 or 5 speed 71B up to 86? 

720s or dead Z's should be plentiful enough in the scrap yards. Even in AZ. 

4 and 5 speed tailhousings are different due to the different reverse lockout (since 5th is above Reverse).  Whether they could be made to work on the other, I don't know.  Later ones also used a slightly different shifter (taller pivot point).

• Like 1

I'll figure it out eventually. The Trans I found is this,

"5 speed transmission from a 1978 280Z for sale.

Its in good condition, and the bearings feel nice. The shifting on this tranny is very tight and feels better than most that I have dealt with.

ASKING $325 OR BEST OFFER.

CASH OR TRADE ONLY.

This will fit all L series Nissan engines."

What will I need to know or look for

If I were you I would just find another 620 transmission, that would be the easiest, you could also use a 720 longshaft transmission, but you would need to use your front case except for a 1980 720 transmission, that should bolt right in, 1981 on you would use your front case.

I suppose the L28 transmission will also work.

Couldn't find a share tab

In the pic library, in your case, the derickisjapanese bucket, hover on the pic until three lines appear in the upper left corner of the pic. Share is one of the choices that will appear. Click on IMG code and paste on the forum page.

Photobucket has very long load times, so clicking on the pic to view it, and then copying it from there, makes it take so much longer.

BTW - I can't make heads or tails out of that transmission pic.