Help my 'Goon stay stock...(on the inside anyway)

Angela

Hello & thank you Datsun community for any & all help with my goal. I'm hoping to tap into all of your collective years & experiences of owning & loving your Datsuns to help me keep my stock interior looking as close to factory as possible.

So, my 1971 510 Wagon is white with the turquoise blue seats, navy blue carpet, white headliner, & originally came with medium blue vinyl top (since sun baked & removed...now rattle-canned with navy blue paint for the time being).

I've found replacement parts for the headliner & a NOS vinyl top to install this summer...hopefully BUT I am having one helluva time finding the rosette patterned vinyl seat material that's stitched in the middle insert of my seats. I've found a reasonably close match for the side bolsters & headrests in a medium metallic blue but I'm afraid if I don't find both materials from the same manufacturer, I'll never get the right match.

Also wondering...how many yards of each type of vinyl do you think I'll need to do the 2 front seats, back bench seat, all 4 door panels & 3 rear cargo panels & 2 wheel wells?

If any of you Ratsuners have any ideas (besides using dyes...for now), PLEASE let me know. I really want to keep the inside looking like it did originally. 

Thank you all in advance.

Be good to your Datsuns...& each other : ) 

-Angela

20150313_165428_zpsvqvxo4np.jpg

2011-04-16_11-32-53_806.jpg

2011-04-16_11-35-17_178.jpg

2011-04-16_11-35-32_230.jpg

2011-04-16_11-35-59_702.jpg

2012-05-31_18-28-58_517.jpg

2012-06-02_18-44-12_898.jpg

2012-06-02_18-44-42_188.jpg

2012-06-02_18-45-05_476.jpg

2012-06-02_18-45-36_406.jpg

2012-08-22_16-24-03_690.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Evans have what you needed?

Where did you get the headliner material? I have not been able to find a match for our 1973 610 wagon, closest I could find is a TIER 1407A. But it isn't completely smooth, it has a tiny textured pattern.

Dorsett makes a wide range of carpet, in our case, the DOR610-Brown loop is really close. I really laughed when I saw the ID was "610 Brown"!

I have not been able to find any seat vinyl that matches our brown patterned seat center panels. SMS, a major auto fabric supplier (I think they are in Seattle) does have a slightly similar material. But it doesn't match, so we would have to recover ALL the seat center panels. And then it wouldn't be authentic. SMS says they can match almost any color.

I am starting to think I will have to make a mold of the unique center panel material and figure out how to make replicas. Maybe making silicone molds (I have experience here) and then casting to make thin patterned material to bond to vinyl.  Hey Ratsun folks, is there a business that does this? I only need enough for the two front seat bottoms.

• Like 1

I don't know where in Calif. you are but Evans Upholstery in the Lawndale area has or can get almost any pattern of vinyl upholstery material.

Thanks for the reply MikeRL411. I'm in Atascadero, CA...about 4 hours North from Torrance. I looked around the 'net for a website on Evan's but there was nothing much out there. I found a real estate ad offering the location up for sale as of last month so I'm not even sure they are still in business. Tried calling the phone number & there's not even an outgoing message on the machine  :crying:

• Like 1

Did Evans have what you needed?

Where did you get the headliner material? I have not been able to find a match for our 1973 610 wagon, closest I could find is a TIER 1407A. But it isn't completely smooth, it has a tiny textured pattern.

Dorsett makes a wide range of carpet, in our case, the DOR610-Brown loop is really close. I really laughed when I saw the ID was "610 Brown"!

I have not been able to find any seat vinyl that matches our brown patterned seat center panels. SMS, a major auto fabric supplier (I think they are in Seattle) does have a slightly similar material. But it doesn't match, so we would have to recover ALL the seat center panels. And then it wouldn't be authentic. SMS says they can match almost any color.

I am starting to think I will have to make a mold of the unique center panel material and figure out how to make replicas. Maybe making silicone molds (I have experience here) and then casting to make thin patterned material to bond to vinyl.  Hey Ratsun folks, is there a business that does this? I only need enough for the two front seat bottoms.

Hey there 610StaWag,

I will check into this lead. I actually found a nice headliner on eBay. Think it was about &120 if I remember...maybe a bit more with shipping. Making molds for replica pieces sounds great. I hope to hear more about that.

Take care,

Angela

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you checked SMS Auto Fabrics?  I was talking with them last summer about manufacturing some vinyl to match the pattern in my B210.  I know they have tons of material.

Tmanhwm you are a life saver! Thank you so much for the lead. I sent them swatches from my goon & they can manufacture a perfect match! I'm beyond stoked. Here's a picture of the swatch they sent me today....totally freakin' awesome. They have been really great with customer service too...highly recommend them.

02161720492_zpskxinhbwe.jpg

• Like 2

Who's doing your inside. And for,the centers I would say at least 10 yards to be safe. Forgot the roll width though

Thanks for that info Tanker. I've been dealing with an old school guy here in San Luis Obispo. He owns "Mitch's Stitches" & said he can have it done in just a couple days. I want to buy enough material to redo all the door cards/panels & wheel well humps in the cargo area. I guess Mitch will know how much it'll take. I think they told me the width of the roll on the sample they sent but I'll have to check. Going to Eagle Rock this year? Maybe I'll see ya there B)