Who likes to go camping?

Dude Rhino let's plan a trip. All the way around the Three Sister

I'm down, I did 42 miles of it then had to turn around because it was right as the forest fire happened on the east side 4 years ago. Ended up doing an 84 mile out and back over 6 days but it was totally worth it still. That's one of my favorite areas.

• Like 3
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like backpacking the most also, you get the most beautiful views and the most solitude. My lady and I have hiked all the way around Mt.Hood, Three Fingered Jack, Black Butte, and most of the way around Jefferson and that doesn't count all the out and back trips and loop trails.

We've also found the luxury of yurts in the cold weather, there's some you can cross country ski out to and others on the coast that are pretty much a cheap way to stay at the coast not super beautiful. The only time I like to car camp is on road trips.

Here's a pic from our last trip in Jefferson Park, a protected area on Mt.Jefferson

IMG_20160713_072254517_HDR_zpsg6xfqd6t.j

That backdrop,really cool.thanks for sharing

• Like 2

I've been all over that area but never put together a trip that goes all the way around. I've summoned the south sister twice and the middle once. Almost made it to the top of the middle once before that from the east but we had no plan and were just scrambling.

Great pic.

That pinkish rock formation in the backdrop of your picture is called Rock Mesa, Southwest flank of South Sister. It's made of Rhyolite which is a volcanic glass like obsidian. Pretty rare formation.

• Like 3

I love to camp too...nothing quite like just being able to hit the road & stop whenever you feel like it, set up camp & enjoy some rest & relaxation. I haven't set up my 'goon quite yet but my Toyota Tacoma has a camper shell, futon mattress, hot/cold cooler, tent, cookware, sleeping bags, coffee pot, portable power source, camp stove & random stuff so that I can pick up & go on a whim. I'm hoping to reseal any gaps & make it as watertight as possible as soon as Spring hits. Right now it's a soggy mess  :crying:

Someday the Goon will be just as ready!  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Fort Canby, near Ilwaco, Wa. is a pretty nice place to camp, lots of history there. Not to be confused with Fort Canby on the Oregon Coast . It is nice there as well  :thumbup:

Can't say anything good about the fairgrounds camping at Canby though

• Like 1

There is nothing like hiking to a beautiful spot in the morning and taking a shit while staring at the mountains. The first time I did the Timberline Trail (trail all the way around Mt Hood) a deer came up to me while I was doing my business, I think she could tell I wouldn't be able to chase her haha

• Like 3

I love camping! From the ocean to the desert and everything in between. I will only tent camp. I feel that is true camping, although tr8er with the rainfly and hammock, that's pretty badass. I will be going back to Detroit lake in Oregon this summer for a week with about 10 or so family members. Good times good times.

• Like 2

I love camping! From the ocean to the desert and everything in between. I will only tent camp. I feel that is true camping, although tr8er with the rainfly and hammock, that's pretty badass. I will be going back to Detroit lake in Oregon this summer for a week with about 10 or so family members. Good times good times.

It's been 5 years. (Kids). But I am almost ready to leave them with my folks for that long. Then bring them if my old body can handle when they grow up

• Like 1

In my late teens it was a sleeping bag under the stars wherever we decided to setup base camp on the rubicon, a freak storm in July made me rethink that shit. Since then an REI hobitat 6 tent has been the home away from home, it's amazingly water tight but has unmatched vertical visibility with the rainfly off. One of my favorite spots is the extreme northern california coast from Trinidad up to the Oregon border. My wife and I used to go every year for our anniversary, we once rounded a corner hiking in fern canyon to come nose to nose with a roosevelt elk, glad it was a young female and not a bull.

• Like 1

There is nothing like hiking to a beautiful spot in the morning and taking a shit while staring at the mountains. The first time I did the Timberline Trail (trail all the way around Mt Hood) a deer came up to me while I was doing my business, I think she could tell I wouldn't be able to chase her haha

Epic pooping, one of my favorite camping pastimes :lol: 

• Like 1

This one is square because I had to screen shot it from Instagram since its from my old phone.

IMG_20150716_083837_zpsvjei0s8n.jpg

This is our second night camping just below the summit of Porcupine Peak which is a foothill of Three Fingered Jack (which is what's pictured).

If we're getting into gear, I've gotta give Big Agnes my points for a tent. I have the BA Flycreek UL2. Its an ultralight weighing in at just over 2lbs with stakes, the pole, and fly included. You can also set it up without the tent and just use the fly as a wind break. I also love using my Emo hammock, there's nothing like sleeping how you were held as a baby!

• Like 1

Epic pooping, one of my favorite camping pastimes :lol:

I think from now on I'm going to take a picture from where ever I shit while camping so I can start and Epic Pooping thread haha!

• Like 5