Jump to content

1967 Datsun 520 Project

Dis n Dat

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started working on the floor.  The vinyl covering was cracked and broken, but luckily the floor didn't have any serious rust.  Only a little bit of rust behind the pedals, and a quick sand took it all off.  For sound proofing, I used Frost King duct insulation.  There is a lot of info about using it as a vibration dampener on other forums, with a lot of mixed reviews.  Some folks say it works nearly as well as DynaMat, or similar products.  I personally don't believe that, but I do believe that it will help a little bit, and the price was right.  I was able to cover the floor and door panels for under $40 (2 rolls @ ~$19 each), with a little left over for doubling up in certain areas.  I'm going to be putting carpet over it anyways, and that should help a bit too.




Floor all sanded and cleaned, ready for insulation




Duct insulation installed




Also made some speaker boxes for under the seats, as I wanted to keep the door panels looking clean.  Carpet is going in today (hopefully), will have some pictures soon.

Link to comment

Been staying busy with the carpet and panels and such.  I have a handful of pictures for show-and-tell:




Carpet in.  It doesn't cover completely (it was for a different truck), but close enough.  Some old floor mats cut to fit cover the rest.








Panels all finished and insulated to keep from vibrating against the metal.  Need a few more pins.


I was planning on keeping the radio that was in already (not stock, but a classic look still), but the tuner didn't work and cassette player was pretty spotty as well.  Took it apart and decided that it was beyond my abilities to fix.  Installed a Sony multimedia player (no CD player, keeps the unit much shallower).




Without a CD player, this is shallow enough to fit without hitting the heater behind.




Had to cut the dash a bit.




Installed.  I put a little bead of sealant around the face (not pictured) to keep it looking clean, and prevent any little movements.




All back together and cleaned.




Old floor-mats hide the most of the areas not covered by carpet.


Started some lumber racks as well.



  • Like 1
Link to comment

Finished up the lumber racks:








Still waiting for the door rubber the get in, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the progress on the truck.  I think I'm more or less finished with little upgrades for now, time for this little work truck to get busy actually working.  Sometime in the distant future I imagine a motor swap will be happening, but with everything working so well now I'm not in a huge rush.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.