1967 Datsun 520 Project

Dis n Dat

Happy new year everyone!  Picked up my first Datsun (1967 520) recently, and figured I'd start a thread for my slow (but hopefully steady) build process.  Couldn't be happier with the truck, the majority of it appears to be stock, and is in really clean condition.  Motor was rebuilt recently, and an extra motor and transmission were included in the sale.  It drives great, hardly any serious issues that need addressing.  I'll be posting more detailed pictures as I start tinkering, but in the meantime here are a few shots:

Dl4AaO5.jpg

tg22Y0i.jpg

2lD3Ym8.jpg

V5per2V.jpg

Keeping the fan for now, it actually works really well :)

fo6f6Wp.jpg

I'm excited to get working on it, and getting input from everyone here.  The previous owner was very clear that this is the place to go for any info I could possibly need.

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainy day today, and discovered that the windshield has a pretty good leak.  Not too surprised, the rubber is pretty old and cracked.  Ordered some new seals for the doors and window, but they'll take a while to get here.

pWLR914.jpg

Until the weather clears the tarp will stay on.  For the rainy day I'll be working on the door and floor panels.

yD0ACoo.jpg

The floor panels were pretty beat, and I have some sheets of marine grade Mahogany plywood laying around.  Seemed like a good rainy day project.

zyL8GOx.jpg

New panels with a couple coats of stain.  Pretty happy with them.  Going to wait a couple days to dry and start applying clear-coat.  Going to add a lot of coats since they'll be taking a lot of abuse from feet and such.  Door panels soon to come.

• Like 2

Rainy day today, and discovered that the windshield has a pretty good leak.  Not too surprised, the rubber is pretty old and cracked.  Ordered some new seals for the doors and window, but they'll take a while to get here.

pWLR914.jpg

Until the weather clears the tarp will stay on.  For the rainy day I'll be working on the door and floor panels.

yD0ACoo.jpg

The floor panels were pretty beat, and I have some sheets of marine grade Mahogany plywood laying around.  Seemed like a good rainy day project.

zyL8GOx.jpg

New panels with a couple coats of stain.  Pretty happy with them.  Going to wait a couple days to dry and start applying clear-coat.  Going to add a lot of coats since they'll be taking a lot of abuse from feet and such.  Door panels soon to come.

Be sure to clear coat all sides to protect from moisture.  Sanding sealer helps the clear lay out smoother.  The sander sealer will look hazy when dried but after you apply the clear it looks great.

That is one good looking truck you have, congrats!

• Like 1

-Charlie69, thanks for the advice! I put a couple of coats on the back of the panels today, will get a few more on tomorrow.  I'll definitely have to use the sanding sealer for the door panels, it took about 5 coats to get a smooth looking finish without it.

-FunkyFresh520 thanks! I'm real excited about it.  I paid $2500, which included an extra motor, transmission, and a whole heap of extra parts.  I think I might try and sell some of them to re-coup some costs.  The seals are from Thailand, I'm guessing they'll take about 3 weeks or so.  I took the truck to a local auto glass shop and the guy helped seal up the corners and lay an extra bead around the inside (used DOW U-428).  Hoping this will fix it for now, and I can hold on to the moldings for a later date.

• Like 1

Worked a bit on a seat cover today.  The seat's in pretty decent shape, with only a few small tears.  Looking to keep it that way for now, but haven't been able to find many bench seat covers that are small enough.  Also, in other vehicles I've never been able to get the cover as tight as I'd like.  Eventually I'll be looking to reupholster, but with budget concerns I'll be keeping it cheap for now.

TDrCBVc.jpg

Picked up a thick blanket/rug from a shop in town, pretty beefy and should keep the seat from getting much worse.

ZKFPl7w.jpg

I had a lot of grommets left over from a previous project, so I added a bunch to the edges and to the middle.  Probably was a bit excessive, but I don't want the cover shifting at all.

gzN8MaR.jpg

All laced up.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  Was trying to figure out a way to cleanly wrap the blanket underneath the hinges, but it ended up not looking great.  Eventually just decided to wrap around them entirely, it looks nicer and the seat still folds down.  Not perfect, but much tighter and heavier duty than a universal cover for around the same price (~$30 for the blanket and paracord for lacing).  I'll take some pictures once it's reinstalled and the new wood panels are all in.

• Like 2

-FunkyFresh520 Yeah I had been looking for a while for a little pickup and was pumped when this popped up on Craigslist.  It does have a J13 in it, I anticipate some type of engine swap in the future, but definitely not anytime soon.

A couple pictures of the lacing for the seat cover:

qVDAl11.jpg

Seat back, before I laced the sides together

VZmTkvn.jpg

Seat bottom.  It looks like a big ole' mess, but keeps everything nice and tight.

8rN7j6X.jpg

Back in the truck, with slits cut for the seatbelts

WyH5a5R.jpg

Also painted the mirrors.  There was surface rust all over, and until I get a set of original mirrors these will be staying.  Mixed feelings about the red clamps, came out looking like some Disney truck, but still better than before, and I'm not about to redo it.

• Like 2

-thisismatt    

-Sorry for the late response.  I appreciate the offer, but I'm pretty well stocked on parts at the moment.  Think I'm going to try and sort through all of mine and sell a few as well.

-FunkyFresh520    

-That sounds rad.  I'll not sure what I'll be swapping with yet, but either way, it's going to be a while.  I posted a couple pics of the gas pedal below, let me know if you need a different angle.

mLLZHrt.jpg

QAReG2g.jpg

• Like 1