Fuel spilling out the stock gas cap...fixes?

heywier427

I read a bunch about it, and short of converting over to a newer cap/filler neck, there are no fixes.

Anyone think this may work?  Or at least help a whole lot.

checkvalve_zps7bbd772b.jpg

http://mikeschevy.com/57-1957-chevy-gas-tank-fuel-filler-tube-check-valve/

Diameter is too much at 2-7/16 o.d.  But its an extremely simple design to make up out of 2"

Put it in right at the filler neck so the gas nozzle pushes it up/open.  Im thinking slide it in and hose clamp it in place from the outside.

Seen a bunch of rollover type ball/float valves, but I dont think they will work due to the horizontal angle of our filler tube.

Any other ideas?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a interesting idea if you are stuck on staying with the stock setup. 

However, the Mazda fuel neck retrofit is a great mod and you can fit newer nissan caps.

And done with cheap tools you probably already have around the house.

Gonna make my own design.  Will be better than the one pictured.

Vertical delrin flap pushed/held down by a light spring.  Seated on a small step to stop/seal it.  Inside of a 2" diameter tube.  Slide it into the filler tube and hose clamp in place.

2-3" inside the filler neck.  Pushed open by the filler nozzle.

A project I will never get to...

I tried.  Its new.  I used a few different types of sealing surfaces, but they all leaked.

Im also being anal.  When I say "leaked", its a full tank of gas, driving like a loon, and it was a single bead going down the body.  But every trip.  Its just annoying.

I got an nos one to seal almost all the time (by stacking 2 seals), but the new repop one wont.  The metal is not strong enough to keep the compression tight.

The easier thing to do is send the nos one to get anodized.

I also have a tough time with that type of twisting motion with my thumb.  Many boxer fractures under its belt.  Even with my new cars/caps.

I just like inventing/tinkering and starting 13 projects in the middle of my 13 other projects.  You know, like the rest of us :)

Wish it was that easy.

The surface looked flat, but I filled it, then sanded/polished it.

That made it much better, but still a bit of a weep.

Im also being hindered by the fact that I have a 2 stroke and mix the oil in the tank.  The oil helps it find its way out/hang around, instead of just evaporating.

Rotary  :thumbup:

They should not leak, and of course they were designed not to, but many people complain about this issue.  And its not just Datsuns.  Many 50-70's cars with this simple designed cap and a damn near horizontal filler tube has/had slosh issues.

Its one of the main reasons the american cars moved the filler from the rear end of the cars, to the sides.