alternator pulley hits lower radiator outlet

stretcher66

i know first of all i should not have probably gone to autoblown for a alternator. but on my 71 510 goon the alternator took a dump on me. so i figured i would do the IR upgrade. the best i could figure was the 78 240sx alt since it had the same t-plug on it.  i got it home and everything looked good til i started bolting it up and the bolt that holds the pulley on, hits my lower radiator outlet...Any suggestions would be awesome.  thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Internal regulated alternators were introduced in all Datsuns on the '78 model year. The regulated and unregulated are physically the same size and bolt on the same.

Two things come to mind.

1/ The pulley size may be slightly smaller, allowing the alternator to swing downward to the right side away from the engine more. A shorter belt, maybe from a '78 S10 (200sx) might fix this?

2/ Look at the alternator pulley. Does it line up with the water pump pulley? Hold a ruler against them and see. Possibly some miss-match causing the pulley to be more to the front?

That all being said, if it's hitting, I guess it's hitting. The lower rad hose exits the rad straight back before bending to the right side around the alternator. What I have done in the past is trim 1/4 to 1/2" off the end of the rad hose and put it back on the rad outlet. This moves the bend in the hose towards the rad, away from the spinning alternator.

• Like 3

Well i am not sure if it is because it is a 60 amp that i am trying to install or if it is because it is a autozone reman.  but the pulleys would not line up regardless, and this one sticks out a little over a half in further than the orig.... going to take it back and look at some of the 280zx and saturn alternators.

Well i am not sure if it is because it is a 60 amp that i am trying to install or if it is because it is a autozone reman.  but the pulleys would not line up regardless, and this one sticks out a little over a half in further than the orig.... going to take it back and look at some of the 280zx and saturn alternators.

Don't you guys keep up with the OP? Alternator swap that rubs rad hose. If the original fit, so should the replacement. New one does not line up with the water pump pulley.

Occam's razer..... The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

AutoZone........ say no more.

• Like 1