1978 datsun 620 13b swap???

bcoulter99

HI i recently just got a 1978 620 and the motor is seized and im looking to put a 13b rotary engine in it and was wondering if anyone has done it and can help me with the process i would greatly appreciate it thanks in advance if you have any pictures my email is BrennenCoulter1999@gmail.com thanks 

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's not much info. Radical engine swaps usually mean that someone has one laying around for free.

Best engine is the original L20B. There were minor differences but you have the original for mounts and small things. It was used in mid '70s to early 80s vehicles like the 710/610/S10/A10. Or rebuild it. Better mileage too.

Then there are the 140 hp KA series and transmissions. There are millions of Hard bodies with them.

As I said not much info presented. I don't know of any rotary 620s it's a very uncommon swap.

• Like 2

There would be no strut towers in a 620 but there will be torsion bars on either side. Also, the steering and steering box are at the front of the engine on a 620 so there is a long steering column running along the left side of the engine bay. In addition there is a strut running transverse between the frame rails under the L oil pan just behind the steering cross rod to support the fronts of the torsion bars..

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

So what. We all blushing? :blush.

anywho, there is a 13b swapped datsun 620 that is super badass by a french guy. Hes super cool. I only know him through Instagram.

his username is @pepsky_33 you could probably pick his brain about how he did it along with other stuff he did to the truck. It's sooooo clean.

Rotary is an evolutionary dead end. That's 'doing it the hard way' to make a point that you can 'do it the hard way'.  Like a flathead Ford. They make power but fewer miles between rebuilds and smoke like a '60s Honda 2 stroke scooter. They make power though but there's no middle ground between loving and hating them.    

• Like 2

You just gotta get in there and do a mock up. It may take five or six attempts to find the right spot, but that's part of the game.

I usually pick a reference point to shoot for, like say the shifter. If I can get the new shifter to come up in the same shifter hole, then I start there. Other times it's radiator clearance that matters most.

Flathead Fords are cool, Mike. I've always wanted to build a suicide axle flat fender Jeep crawler with a flat head V8, eight stack EFI, and zoomies, on 42" tires.  Nobody has built one like that yet.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Did you know that the flat head Ford V8was in production for road use until 1973? But production continued for use in vineyard fans, which are used to keep the frost off of the vines.

Ford has historically continued to use a lot of trash not fit for consumption.  Just look at their dashboards through, at least, into the 2000's 😂

• Like 1
On 12/26/2016 at 6:59 AM, distributorguy said:

it may be a lot harder than you think.

First thing is what's your experience in doing a radical swap? Even staying within the brand and doing a swap isn't always simple. 

On 12/31/2021 at 11:01 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It may take five or six attempts to find the right spot, but that's part of the game.

Again, this is where experience pays off. Money and time are always factors and neither will be in abundance together. IF your skills are there, all is good and probable.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:00 AM, datzenmike said:

Rotary is an evolutionary dead end.

Also true. I know a few guys who were big into rotaries and one of them built one hell of an RX7 monster that hasn't turned a wheel in probably 7 years. But like I said, it's one hell of a monster when he used to drive it, but he also spent HUGE dollars on it. In stock form the rotary was extremely thirsty (I drove a 1st gen RX7) and built V8's did better at full throttle. Sure the rotary has fewer moving parts, but the apex seals (equivalent of piston rings) NEVER lasted = frequent rebuilds.

On 12/26/2016 at 8:04 AM, datzenmike said:

Then there are the 140 hp KA series and transmissions. There are millions of Hard bodies with them.

Yup, easier to go that way and you can build with turn-key reliability. Isn't that the best part of building a sweet ride is to actually drive it??

Not wanting you to feel we're shitting on you, and if you got the skills/money/time then go for it, this forum here will help you all along the way. Personally I'd go for an SR20DET if they were more readily available at a more reasonable cost, but they ain't. I'd be looking at 5K$ for a complete JDM unit which I ain't got - huge advantage is it's been done enough times you can basically follow the script.

Let us all know what you gonna do!

BTW, a flattie is a beautiful engine - I've seen a few that are damn near jewelery.

• Like 1
On 1/1/2022 at 2:21 PM, thisismatt said:

Ford has historically continued to use a lot of trash not fit for consumption

LOL, I remember my uncle had a swather that was powered by a Ford V4 agricultural engine. I always thought of putting that into something small like a 510...

• Like 1