Steering Column Disassembly

SSSEXXX

Need to disassemble and then restore my steering column. It appears to have a bearing at the top and the last thing I want to do is damage a hard to replace part. Does anyone have any information on how best to take the thing apart and reassemble?

Here is what I am working with:

8568891686_997fb31e98_c.jpg

Thanks in advance. Searching just got me a bunch of steering box posts.

Chris

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can tell you about the bearing at the top of the column (if it is anything like a 1200 column) is that it is a complete bitch kitty to get out.  Before removing, be sure you have a replacement.  If I can find my catalog, I will post up the part #(should be something like 48810-XXXXX).  Also, if you are going to separate the steering box, there are thin metal shims between the case halves (again, if it is anything like a 1200 column) if you should happen to destroy the shims...they can be made out of Mountain Dew cans.

48910-23100 is the bearing in the upper part of the shaft.  Under $20 at the dealer (if they even have it) so maybe $15 anywhere else. You might be able to cross reference the Nissan part number to get a replacement or take the old one to a bearing supply shop where they can take measurements and look up and order one.

The same part was used in the Roadster, 610, 240/260/280z cars.

• Like 1

You guys are awesome! Honestly, without the people here helping me along the way, I'm pretty much useless. Any fear of messing anything up outside of the bearing? I was considering have the steering arm insert plated for corrosion resistance. It has some surface rust.

Oh and I also found this link which was extremely useful:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=PB110_Steering_Gearbox

The pitman arm? Negative, plating will change the measurements and tolerances on the spline and the ball joint hole, just paint it when it's on.

Which brings up why are you replacing the steering bearing anyway? Unless broken it's better left alone.

That's the great thing about the Internet and the sites like Ratsun. Way back there was nothing like it and finding info in my area was not as easy except for news letters from clubs out west. I used to do nothing to my 510 at that time but as I aquired some info through the clubs and books it got easyer. But now it's way better cause the net.

The pitman arm? Negative, plating will change the measurements and tolerances on the spline and the ball joint hole, just paint it when it's on.

Which brings up why are you replacing the steering bearing anyway? Unless broken it's better left alone.

You're going to want to kick me in the groin, but I started this project to learn and with a promise to make sure everything was in the best condition I could. I was hoping to replace all the seals and bearing along the way. I am seriously considering not taking it apart, but wanted to explore options before just repainting.

That's the great thing about the Internet and the sites like Ratsun. Way back there was nothing like it and finding info in my area was not as easy except for news letters from clubs out west. I used to do nothing to my 510 at that time but as I aquired some info through the clubs and books it got easyer. But now it's way better cause the net.

In all honesty if it wasn't for the people on this forum, I probably would have scrapped my entire car at one point. Now I'm just months away from completion. It's nuts how supportive a community of people who have no reason to help you can be. It speaks volumes about how passion can bind people.

I understand that. I believe in "don't fix what ain't broken". I learned this the slow and hard way by damaging something that was working just fine. :poop:

Oh yeah. Been there, done that. It was a costly lesson. Damn lock nut on rear spindles. Has to buy a new spindle. Then there was the windshield rubber metal trim cluster F. Good times.