What's the difference?

HOGIE

You got me.

Well I guess this was a pointless attempt to show how folks with large post count get away with shit and a new guy that does know shit, or understand the forum etiquette if you want to look at it like that, gets shut down when trying to join up and use the forum to promote themselves and their products like so many Ratsun vets do on this forum do all the time.

No one was shut down when trying to join. All new members are encouraged to take advantage of our classified section which is the proper place for buying and selling and reasons were stated for why. Until a new member is approved they cannot post there and cannot know unless told. Perhaps when the forum is updated this will be spelled out to prospective new members before they join.

If I didn't close the topic people start making offers, asking how much... etc. and it becomes a for sale ad outside the classifieds. Others (who don't even have an interest in buying) jump in flaming the price or quality... etc (the very reason we have a separate classified section. It encourages sellers and protects them from jerks)  You don't like it... don't buy it. You have a problem with a classifieds post.... there is a report button.

Buying and selling is not permitted in our forums to keep them clear for discussions and information sharing. You are now cleared to use our classifieds...  http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-body-and-interior/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc  ... (there is a handy link to them at the top of every page just below the RATSUN.NET logo)

Probably a really good idea to post a picture of them as it will be the first thing people will ask for.... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/

Good luck with your sale and welcome to Ratsun.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/71026-custom-fit-620-front-and-rear-mud-flaps-with-brackets/

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do some threads, such as 'Finally Back...Dapper Lighting' are allowed to go on trying to promote and sell products, not getting locked (started just back Feb '16 and currently at 20 pages), and others such as the recent '620 Mud Guards' do get locked as soon as they are posted?

What's the difference?

I want info about these parts and now the guy likely won't be back. I know that folks who have been around here for a while should know better, cough Gene with the 620 glass thread, but maybe some of these threads can be left open for a while so people can get a little info about parts, start a dialogue, before the seller gets shut down.

I know that sounds a lot like the old classifieds

I asked the same question when the Futofab "cyber Monday" add was posted on November 28 in the general discussion forum.

Note, RW has no issue at all with Futofab products, I just thought it was curious the thread was allowed in that part of the forum.

Anyway, meh, mods............. (Love you Mike, no homo)

• Like 1

Sure, just call yourself Fuckin dapper Ted or Datto fuckin fab Ted

We are still awaiting an answer why there is a preference for some.

Can't tell how many you have given the "Buying and selling not allowed in forums"  need to be in the classifieds for all but a select few

• Like 1

Sure, just call yourself Fuckin dapper Ted

We are still awaiting an answer why there is a preference for some, DM

Can't tell how many you have given the "Buying and selling not allowed in forums"  need to be in the classifieds for all but a select few

From what his "room mate" says ,,, he already calls himself that when he stands in front of the mirror naked every morning..

We are still awaiting an answer why there is a preference for some.

With the US election fresh in everyone's mind I guess some thought Ratsun was a democracy with equality and accountability. It is not. (It's closer to a benevolent dictatorship) Classifieds are the way they are for reasons given in my last post. They practically take care of (moderate) themselves, and have for years. Trolls and drama queens have to go somewhere else now.  

Moving this here soon... http://community.ratsun.net/forum/61-discussion/  ... If you look through the posts there you may find several others similar to this.

On a long enough time line, every post reverts to Insomniacs style.................... datzenmike 2013

So the Futofab thread was not an add for an item for sale. It was an FYI that you could get a discount on parts that he selsl. I suggested it might be better in the classified discussion but did not move it. 

As far as the Dapper light guy, who knows. I surely don't know the guy and had no interest in his lights once I figured out what you guys were talking about. 

We are not all seeing, we are not super mods. We are just like you guys, only we have to corral the cats...

Yj9Xe2A.gif

• Like 1

I was never suggesting that mods receive some sort of kick back. I understand that this is not a democracy, mods rule and have the last say. That is by design. I am not trying to divide and conquer, really what would I be conquering? 

I was just looking for clarity why some threads are okay and others are not. It does seem that preferential treatment is given to those threads that attract interest by the forum elite.

I'll make a suggestion that the self labelled dictator can heed or ignore, when a new member comes along and posts in the wrong way, try letting them know they weren't following forum rules and then let them respond before locking the thread. They might actually come back

• Like 1

That is actually how it currently works. 

Typically a new person will post an ad in the wrong place. As mods we approve the thread, say welcome aboard and let them know they should post in the classifieds. 

This has been working really well.... haven't received any complaints from those new members and usually an ad in the classifieds is quick to follow. 

Then you get things like this thread where people vent about perceived preferences. Again, I can't keep up with every post/thread and neither can Mike. Sometimes we make a call based on the thread and it's content, sometimes we never even see it unless it is reported. 

Hope that helps with the confusion, but I somehow doubt it will. Now if certain people would stop with the name calling and get back to Datsun I could go back to reading more build threads.

• Like 2

The Dapper thread started as an interest thread and evolved from there. I'd hope we carried through on our promises. The mods or site don't get a kick back but we are sure as hell responsive and receptive to feedback on our products and service. Plus you guys all get the cool toys first. Everyone at Dapper all started with Datsun's so you guys always get special treatment...whether deserved or not...  :lol:

• Like 5

2eDeYe" post="1443911" timestamp="1482248350"]

So the Futofab thread was not an add for an item for sale. It was an FYI that you could get a discount on parts that he selsl. I suggested it might be better in the classified discussion but did not move it. 

As far as the Dapper light guy, who knows. I surely don't know the guy and had no interest in his lights once I figured out what you guys were talking about. 

We are not all seeing, we are not super mods. We are just like you guys, only we have to corral the cats...

Yj9Xe2A.gif

Um?

Yeah one got away a few weeks ago after the election, but we got him back safe.

• Like 1

In my experience, the small clique of Ratsun dictators are not in this for personal profit. That being said, benevolence is not what I would use to describe the motivation of some. Given a social position of autocratic power, it can be difficult to balance internal battle between insecurity and ego. Although some my enter with the best of intentions, eventually altruism and benevolence gets swallowed up by the inner demons of power. As with any large social group, the political nature of humans creates favoritism and micro power structures of highly tribal members. This fosters a culture of exclusion and dogmatic suppression of freedoms of expression and creativity. 

What do you get when you cross a politician and a potato? A dick tater. 

• Like 1

Yeah one got away a few weeks ago after the election, but we got him back safe.

Squashed pussy or Matt?

The predelections of the mods aside, Ratsun has in recent times struck me as some great big Truman show, with all of us in our own ways being Truman, and the TV script being written by the mods.

We bumble along in our own little worlds, thinking its reality when in actuality, we are being subtly controlled by the mods to each act out our own part of the show. The hippie shit of paradime aside :), I reckon some of us sub conciously crave the control of the mods, whilst the id part of us pushes the boundarys of Ratsuns moral code because we get pleasure out of seeing how far we can push things.

I shall put the crack pipe away now.

In my experience, the small clique of Ratsun dictators are not in this for personal profit. That being said, benevolence is not what I would use to describe the motivation of some. Given a social position of autocratic power, it can be difficult to balance internal battle between insecurity and ego. Although some my enter with the best of intentions, eventually altruism and benevolence gets swallowed up by the inner demons of power. As with any large social group, the political nature of humans creates favoritism and micro power structures of highly tribal members. This fosters a culture of exclusion and dogmatic suppression of freedoms of expression and creativity. 

What do you get when you cross a politician and a potato? A dick tater. 

We have a separate classified section for buying and selling. It's simple to use and pretty well laid out with lots of sections. It requires vary little maintenance from the moderators and mostly looks after itself. There is a report button someone has a problem with an ad. You want to look for something you go there. You want to sell something you go there. Those that do not know this are directed there and the reason given. I am directing traffic.

So thanks a lot for calling us moderators autocratic, dictators who are swallowed by inner demons who foster a culture of exclusion and dogmatic suppression of freedoms of expression and creativity for doing an often thankless job. So please accept this in the spirit in which it is given... sorry you see it this way but ....fuck you very much.  Analyze that!

• Like 1

Wow. I didn't start this thread to make a bash the mods thread. True I was just bitching but that wasn't my point.

But I was done here

I was just looking for clarity why some threads are okay and others are not. It does seem that preferential treatment is given to those threads that attract interest by the forum elite.

I'll make a suggestion that the self labelled dictator can heed or ignore, when a new member comes along and posts in the wrong way, try letting them know they weren't following forum rules and then let them respond before locking the thread. They might actually come back

And if it is your will, mods please go ahead and lock this thread before it turns anymore into a paradime ranting response thread.

You guys do do a great job

• Like 2