1985 720 Fuel not getting to pump

la_leo

Originally I posted this in my other thread but I want it to be a separate post. Here's the full story. I changed the fuel filter and the fuel filter on the pump itself. It had the original pump on it, so I was shocked when it started purring when I turned the key on. Took off the outgoin fuel line on the pump and I was not getting fuel. I took off the inlet and ran a hose into my 5 gallon gas can. Turned on the key and it started pumping. So I'm not getting fuel from the tank. I checked the fuel line going to and from the filter and it's good. But I tried to suck out some gas from the tank and no go. Is there a pickup tube inside of the tank? Or a fuel sock that could be clogged? I know there's a check valve on top of the tank. Don't know if that could be causing the issue. If I have to replace the tank I can get a spectra brand for 120 free shipping. I'll drop the tank this week and see what it looks like inside.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will probably need to drop the tank and take it to a radiator shop and have them hot tank it to clean it.  Also blow compressed air backwards through the pickup pipe on the fuel gage sender to be sure it is not plugged up.  There is also a fuel filter just above the pump by the tank.

It costs me $65 to have a tank cleaned or a radiator cleaned rodded and repaired.

You will probably need to drop the tank and take it to a radiator shop and have them hot tank it to clean it.  Also blow compressed air backwards through the pickup pipe on the fuel gage sender to be sure it is not plugged up.  There is also a fuel filter just above the pump by the tank.

It costs me $65 to have a tank cleaned or a radiator cleaned rodded and repaired.

probably will drop the tank this week. I changed both filters already
  • Like 1

Check hose from pump to tank is not blocked

Was this working and just stopped?

Take hose off and poke a wire into the metal tube to clear any obstruction.

Take gas cap off and blow compressed air back through the line to clear.

The pick up tube just extends down to 1/4" from tank bottom.

• Like 1

Check hose from pump to tank is not blocked

Was this working and just stopped?

Take hose off and poke a wire into the metal tube to clear any obstruction.

Take gas cap off and blow compressed air back through the line to clear.

The pick up tube just extends down to 1/4" from tank bottom.

everything after the tank is clear. I want to see if the tank is rusted anyway so when I drop it I'll investigate more