Ali-Reza's 67 RL411

reza

I might be, I'm wondering because I know the pump is sucking air, there are tiny air bubbles in the fluid. The only thing that had me puzzled is that It's right below the full mark but who knows how accurate that is? I'll add a bottle of atf before I pull the pan to see if that makes a difference. 

Are you checking the fluid level on a running warmed up transmission in neutral on level ground?  That's the standard method for checking transmission fluid level.

• Like 2
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been checking while warmed up, running and on level ground in Park. I'm going to pour lucas trans medicine in it and see if that changes anything. Otherwise will drop pan and report back when I have good or bad news.

thanks guys.

• Like 1

The original transmission fluid back in 1967 was "AQATF type A" which usually means use modern like Mercon transmission fluid as a substitute.  Ford transmissions used "AQATF type F".  Hot rodders would occasionally substitute Ford fluid in type A transmissions [like Powerglide] for quicker shift points.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought it wasn't sss however found a ad which has both featured and was trying to find more info on both models

It's same motor same HP as far as I can tel

Technically, all RL411 export models [there were JDM models sent to Okinawa] were 1967 models.  Now it gets sticky.  Very early production models might have been built and tested before the 1967 pollution standards were approved.  They would be tested and certified to 1966 requirements.  Dealer confusion sets in and they may have been described as 1966 models on the sales paperwork to avoid confusion at the pollution control test station. Some late sales were sold as 1968 models.  I bought my 1967 RL411 in March of 1968, and had to argue with the DMV that date of first sale was NOT the model year.  Badgeing with the "SSS" vs "1600" badges is a problem.  I personally believe with absolutely no documented justification that factory "SSS" badges went with the optional [race ready] rear end, and that standard non "SSS" badged RL411s had the standard ratio rear ends. Or dealer greed might have ordered SSS badges , installed them and pocketed the upgrade cash.  More confusion!  Since the basic idea of the RL411 was to qualify the 411 series for Production Sedan Road Racing , all race specific race modification parts had the be available over the counter at all dealer parts counters.  So!  Any RL411 version was easily convertible to the road race version. 

• Like 1

Wow thanks Mike that was awesome Info ... Man it's tricky it's a lot of detective work figuring out what's what but I'm still searching for a good running project and I'll do some more reading such a shame the coupe never came state side or the u520 those are gems

Buy Todds 1600 Wagon on Portland craigslist! can't get a better deal. 

• Like 1

1600 wagons seem far less common, I really dig it.  I rolled my RL411 out today, still having the same trans issues, I thought it fixed itself but no. Dropping pan tomorrow. I did manage to put some straight bumpers on it though. Looks good, the chicks dig it. Also took the bumper guards off, looks much better in my opinion. 

IMG_0296_zpsbqvfcqkq.jpg

IMG_0303_zpshfu3r3xa.jpg

• Like 1

Just found this info in the back of my pile.

First RL411 for sale had chassis number RL411-001101

First WRL411 for sale had chassis number WRL411-800001

Dates of manufacture for this series was Oct 1966 to Sept 1967

Very good info to have.

Well.. here's to a manual trans conversion.

IMG_0305%201_zpspttugwft.jpg

Honestly looks like the pan has never been dropped, filter is fine but much metal dust in bottom of pan.. I don't know if this is normal wear and tear and lack of service or internal death. The car ran fine before sitting for a year, I think I'll throw the pan back on after cleaning and try and bottle of lucas trans fix to free up anything if stuck.. If I can't get it streetable as-is, I'll boat anchor the damn thing.. manual trans conversion?

• Like 1

So after doing the trans service the car wasn't any better.. halfway through my test drive I remember I was messing with the carbs before I put the car in storage. Turns out, my carbs were de-tuned, to the point of running at idle was fine but lacking all power to move the trans. A quick roadside adjust and we were driving again.. I NEED to dial in these carbs.

THE GOOD NEWS is that the transmission in fine! :) :)  :) well.... it's not broken anyhow!

datsun%20and%20son_zpsllbckbaw.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like friction material. You should be able to source a rebuild kit for this. It all depends on how much effort you want to put into it. From what I have read, as automatics go they are very simple. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner-35-3-Speed-Automatic-Transmission-Deluxe-Rebuild-Kit-/222312630985?hash=item33c2dd8ac9:g:qD8AAOxyF0pTfUDH&vxp=mtr

Looks like friction material. You should be able to source a rebuild kit for this. It all depends on how much effort you want to put into it. From what I have read, as automatics go they are very simple. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner-35-3-Speed-Automatic-Transmission-Deluxe-Rebuild-Kit-/222312630985?hash=item33c2dd8ac9:g:qD8AAOxyF0pTfUDH&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the link but when the trans dies, whenever that is, I'll be swapping to manual. I parted out a manual 411 once and kept all the conversion pieces. Just would have to find the correct transmission, I know someone who has a couple spares :). While I was out driving the exhaust hanger broke, sounded beautiful. Next up is pulling the exhaust mani off, replacing and taking it to a shop for new pipes. 

• Like 1

So cool to see you going for it man this ride is one of my favorites On here sss have so much potential and look so awesome wish coupe would have made it stateside would be so cool more and more though the sedans are looking more and more attractive. I thought you took bumpers off

• Like 1

So cool to see you going for it man this ride is one of my favorites On here sss have so much potential and look so awesome wish coupe would have made it stateside would be so cool more and more though the sedans are looking more and more attractive. I thought you took bumpers off

Coupe would be really cool. My old bumpers were twisted so I swapped a good straight set onto my car and removed the bumper guards. You can see the difference on the first page compared to the more recent pictures.