74' 620 Lower your standard build thread

Soundline

Not a fan of rolled fenders as it fucks the original aesthetic up. (just doesn't look right after to me) So if going that route, go directly to flairs. Really like the black tires/grill/flairs contrasting to the truck colors. Black goes with anything.

Black fender mirrors and a black rear roll pan also. Maybe a black hood?

• Like 2
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Mike, depending on weather I'll get it in the garage today but... my jack stands were supposed to be here yesterday and they didn't show. If the weather cooperates I'll get it in and jack it up tonight. I'm naturally set to be awake as a night owl from years of working the late shift.

My intention is one of the bottom two. If I can get the tuck right I'll run the bottom one with flares so Mike doesn't lynch me.

As far as the oil cooler on the bumper though... nope. I will never need that.

Final color, I'd like to eventually take it back to the original paint code with the black on the bottom. Wheels will change but I like the black trim.

Lowering, I'll look up the dog bone flip. I'd prefer to keep the tires as flat and level as I can. I'm a big fan of rotating tires, which is why I opted not to stagger the rears.

• Like 1

Ok... the weatherman is still a liar, but, I was able to finally sneak it into the garage. Tight fit, but it's in. Once the ice melts off I can start advancing this build.

I am impressed that it started first turn after sitting for a week in 15-34 F cold.

IMG_0992_zpsuvghskbx.jpg

I'll go back in tonight and get some basic pics done.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay. I have a medical condition that has a way of shutting me down. I think I can get some of this done, so here we go.

IMG_0999_zpsxteobm41.jpg

IMG_0998_zpsvctzsnqj.jpg

Ok... there are acceptable ways to fix your rusted out floor pan.... and then there's whatever the f*** this is.... I'll deal with this soon.

• Like 1

Front came back together just fine. I'll start evening it out once the rear and other side are done.

IMG_1003_zpsuvmrgjwe.jpg

It's on the dark side of my garage so I'll take better pictures later.

I put the 3" lowering block on the passenger side, and... honestly I just couldn't focus enough to do the drivers side. So... I'm half done.

IMG_1004_zpsua1kq2mc.jpg

I did learn 3 of the tires on there need to go to the scrap yard... and one is brand new. So, that's gonna live on as my spare.

IMG_1006_zpsgapv5ftj.jpg

It looks like my offset math is correct. I could actually run a spacer if I wanted to get suuuuper anal about the whole "stance" thing.... but if I did... I would have picked more "baller" rimz... or whatever. I like the way it's turning out and I like that I paid $637 shipped on the tires/wheels and that the 9th tire store I went to told me where to go to get stretched tires mounted.

If you're interested VR Automotive in Pasco, WA did a great job. And... I set the whole thing up through FB, so I didn't ACTUALLY have to talk to anyone. Which is even better.

I took that stupid bulls*** bumper off... but now I need to find a license plate light to make it street legal. The original mounting location was compromised when they added that piece of junk. I'll figure something out.

*edited added info

• Like 1

Not a fan of rolled fenders as it fucks the original aesthetic up. (just doesn't look right after to me) So if going that route, go directly to flairs. Really like the black tires/grill/flairs contrasting to the truck colors. Black goes with anything.

Black fender mirrors and a black rear roll pan also. Maybe a black hood?

And just for Mike, my math looks good so I won't be needing to roll anything or run fender flares. Which is good.... cause that process is a pain in the ass.

It's cool though... I found a bunch more **** to fix, so I still have plenty of work to do.

Last mod for the night.... Datsun Keychain. Gotta be worth 10 whp...

IMG_1007_zps9xazlv1d.jpg

• Like 1

Day two, with better light, so more pics. Again pretty standard shit.

If anyone has the lug nut torque in ft/lbs I'd appreciate it. I wrote it down and... can't find it.

IMG_1009_zps83k3iqcr.jpg

This is the configuration as purchased. It seems to be stock with orange rotors.... no clue on why they're orange.

IMG_1010_zps8sg0pbfk.jpg

The hoop bolts I'm replacing.

IMG_1011_zpsocfpix8m.jpg

This has definitely seen better days.... strangely it will probably ride better after the drop...

IMG_1013_zpsqb70vz4o.jpg

And this is what it will look like when I'm done.

Questions, comments, or concerns are all welcome.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll be sure to look it up before I actually go anywhere. Been playing around the yuppie area I live in with the torsion bar adjustments... and yeah.... I'm too old for such shenanigans. I'll drop it about an inch and then when I convert the front to discs I'll just live with the ride height.

A friend of mine, who I've literally know for 30 years, is doing an 81 Toyota pickup and we cut the middle leaf out and basically have it on half the original bump stops.... it looks fine but if you hit a pot hole it'll knock your teeth out...

So, next up, disc brakes in the front.... or reupholstering the seat... one of those. In the meantime I'll be playing with the rusted out floor.

• Like 1

I've spent most of today finding out what a fucking train wreck the wiring is in this thing....

Let's cover a few high points... the voltage regulator was bypassed onto a circuit running the ignition...

The stero was wired using power from the headlights...

There's duct tape patching the fuel line...

4 fuses were bypassed with hard wiring...

So far I've discovered 44 wires that don't actually go to anything.

So... standard datto. Lol

It's just going to drive me nuts until I fix this wiring. These are the kind of short cuts that make for a long walk and a huge tow bill.

• Like 1

Ok.... let's play a fun game called "What the fuck am I looking at?"

I have rewritten this several times because I wrote it and got fucking confused.... so feel free to ask questions.

IMG_1058_zps1rnoz2oz.png

The yellow arrow is pointing at something that seems important because it's metal and between the carburetor and brake master cylinder in the picture. It is, as you can see... attached to nothing. Before I throw it into my magic bin of unknown wires and unattached parts... I'd kinda like to know what it is/was.

Ready for number 2?

IMG_1057_zpsda3dgub7.jpg

The flashlight is showing you where on the truck this part is located. Since I couldn't use my words... I'm pointing to you on the doll the bad man touched me...

IMG_1059_zps45if8t28.png

Again... not even a hint of what this goes to. I have like four hunches and... they're all wrong because I can't find shit in the service manual. Which... probably means my hate filled haze of the hacked wiring hasn't subsided, but I wanted you to take a look at this while I sleep so I can wake up refreshed to how obvious the answer is.

Feel free to heckle me for not putting this together on my own. I expect original insults though. Put some quality effort into it. Lol

Thanks again guys/girls/either/both.

• Like 2

if you look in this picture under the bmc you'll see a little red cap an a vacuum hose that runs over to under the carb. i can take better pictures if needed later

I see what you're talking about. Do you know what that vacuum should be connected to?

The second piece actually has a small bolt that comes up into the cab. When the shop manual arrives I'll check it against what I'm looking at. I'm taking a break from this mess today.... as I have another mess that I need to focus on. Gonna have to eat this elephant one bite at a time. I cut all the excess wires out, hooked everything back up, and it runs. Headlights work, still no tails, but they're on their way.

I checked the voltage regulator with my multimeter and the voltage output is within specs for the original L18. Looks

Like the L20 runs off the same operating voltage. No big surprise there. I put the regulator back on the fender where it was supposed to be bolted. I'm looking at Windshield washer replacement bottles as... there literally isn't one, and something I like for a fluid catch can.

• Like 1

back to the picture i posted above, on mine (73) it runs to the brake booster behind the bmc and i really should've taken a picture while i was in the shop today because i think it attaches to the bigger hose that runs from the outboard side of the bmc up and over the booster and attached to the firewall. pretty sure that's hooked up to the booster at a minimum. i haven't done anything with the booster on either of my active trucks yet so i'm not really sure. i do know from reading other peoples threads that the booster is ran on vacuum. 

the extra vacuum port on the t-fitting that i have the red cap on attached somewhere on the original air cleaner if i remember right. it's been a couple years since the stock air cleaner came off though. 

• Like 2

Is this yoooooooour truck Gato? Did you bless me with all these fun problems?

J/K homie, it's cool, I knew it was a mess when I bought it. Dude told me as much.

Yeah, I'm down whenever. Truck will be outta commission for a little bit, but I'll get it there. And yeah, there were more Skylines until WSP's import task force crushed them... I have seen some crazy cars here though. Lots.... lots.... of $$$ here.

• Like 1

Fuck Gato, I like it! I like the older models but I thought a 620 was more in line with my long term goals. You saw the CL post. Dude had the truck for a looooooong time and got sick. He was hanging everything up and his daughter was closing things down. So I get why he did what he did on the truck. No hard feelings, I just get spun up sometimes. It's a character flaw you most likely won't see in person. Unless someone is harming the defenseless, disabled, a woman, or a child. Then you'll see how I actually handle bad business.

Hobo, that's kinda what I was thinking but I can't find a second tank. So I'll bail on it and rubber stopper the hole.

• Like 1

got some better reference pictures for you today while in the shop]

Thank you sir. I'll start sorting this shit out once I roll the Datsun back in tomorrow. I think I finally figured out why my Jeep has been running like shit. 3 of 4 O2 sensors were the wrong part number.... so, I put four fresh NTK ones in it. They're supposed to like those ones, so we'll see how it runs now.

• Like 1

Fuck Gato, I like it! I like the older models but I thought a 620 was more in line with my long term goals. You saw the CL post. Dude had the truck for a looooooong time and got sick. He was hanging everything up and his daughter was closing things down. So I get why he did what he did on the truck. No hard feelings, I just get spun up sometimes. It's a character flaw you most likely won't see in person. Unless someone is harming the defenseless, disabled, a woman, or a child. Then you'll see how I actually handle bad business.

Hobo, that's kinda what I was thinking but I can't find a second tank. So I'll bail on it and rubber stopper the hole.

i'm guessing this is meant for charlie

Thank you sir. I'll start sorting this shit out once I roll the Datsun back in tomorrow. I think I finally figured out why my Jeep has been running like shit. 3 of 4 O2 sensors were the wrong part number.... so, I put four fresh NTK ones in it. They're supposed to like those ones, so we'll see how it runs now.

4 o2 sensors? damn that's a bunch. i hope the pictures help, actually thought about it while tearing shit apart

• Like 2