So what do you do to make them safer???

mikec4193

I have only owned my current project for a couple of weeks but I still keep thinking about stuff I would like to do it (1971 Datsun) as I go along with the rehab I am doing to it...currently it looks pretty much stock from what I can tell...lots of bubble gum and bailing wire added for character too...

These are things I have been thinking about:

1)    Collapsible steering column

2)    High back bench or bucket seats

3)    3 point retractable shoulder harness'

4)    Larger outside mirrors

Anybody else thinking about safety as they toil away on their projects???

I come from an oval track back ground so feeling safe is huge concern when it comes to drive-ability....also wanting to drive them in this crazy traffic world we all live in now.....

MikeC 

• Like 2
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Number one rule, drive defensively.   Do not tailgate.  You have to manually adjust the brakes.  You have to check the brake fluid.

The 521 has a very strong frame. The steering box in inside the frame.   If the impact is big enough to drive the steering column into the cab, I really do not think a collapsible steering column will make much of a difference.   Wayno has used a 720 steering column on a 521 truck, or maybe he has put 521 sheet metal, and cab on a 720 frame.

You head is already pretty much close to the back of the cab.  High back bucket seats will not change much, except move you forward in the cab. 

1972 521 trucks had shoulder harnesses.   Try to copy that restraint system. 

I have found if you get larger outside mirrors it becomes easier to NOT see a pedestrian in a cross walk, especially when turning.

• Like 2

The 521 has 10" drums and while it has great (potential) stopping they are often out of adjustment. Front disc would be a good step. A brake booster would reduce driver fatigue and take some of the work out of in town driving. A good tire helps with stopping and handling... and handling is just as important as good brakes for avoiding a problem. Not insane wide as this adds to the steering work. GOOD shocks.... probably THE most improvement for handling for the buck that you can do to your 521. Yours may even be the original tired shocks.

A proper cross shoulder restraint. Great innovation. Retractable is nice.

A good padded steering wheel. Datsun steering wheels tend to be coat hanger thin and are a bitch to grip with larger hands. Drive a Datsun for a day and your hands will be bruised that night from clawing at them for grip. Compare them to today's cars. The wheel is less likely to injure you in an accident than the stock one.

Drive with the headlights ON at ALL times. You are driving in a world of new cars that have their headlamps on. Other drivers expect/rely on seeing headlamps and at a quick glance, can mistake no headlights, for no vehicle approaching. You may be in shadow, they in bright sunlight. BE SEEN!

• Like 1

I have done both of what Daniel mentioned, I have put a few 521 cabs onto 720 frames and used everything 720 except the sheet metal cab itself, and I have used a 720 collapsible steering column in my 521 work truck that still to this day has a 521 frame, but I did fabricate disc brakes and power steering for that truck, it is way complicated to do what I did, and I would never recommend doing it the way I did it as I have had lots of issues over the years that I have had to fix, which one was to repair the frame itself.

I say just get it derivable and enjoy it for a while, then think about changing stuff, I drove mine for years as a daily driver before I started changing things other than converting over to an L20b engine, I did that within 6 months of owning it.

Any bucket seat other than the stock bench seat is going to move you forward and give you less leg room, every 521 I own/drive except the work truck has been made into a kingcab, and I am thinking about doing that one too, as I like my legroom and I need more room for tools, just leave it as it is with the bench seat and drive it for a while, if the seat is tattered, buy a seat cover for it.

I put large truck mirrors on my 521 work truck, as Daniel mentioned it created a blind spot that took me by surprise a couple times at first, I now have learned to lean forward a little to see behind the mirror, unless you are towing a trailer or have a canopy, use your small ones for now, as the nice larger mirrors for small trucks are hard to find anymore, and finding them used in good condition is even harder.

I have only known a handful of people that put a 3 point seat belt in their 521, it took welding and knowledge to do, the lap belt will work for now, drive defensively, know what is going on in front and back of you, I am an aggressive driver, I know what is going on around me at all times, it's been a very long time since I have been in a wreck that was my fault(30+ years), maybe I am lucky.

• Like 1

I heard you can get some really good deals on TAKATA air bags

Put a Pinto sticker on the back so people won't tailgate you

Don't drive like an idiot

Stick your cell phone up your ass set to vibrate

Don't drink and drive

• Like 1

We have one in each company van. Guess what, the safety equipment has to be certified every two years. Last year they said the extinguisher has to be re-filled in order to be certified and pass... it's three years old, perfect in every way. It cost more to re-fill than to buy a new $30 one. Boss says go get a new one I say no, it will be over a year old when the inspector comes and will not pass. Why not buy a new one just before he does the inspection then good for two years. I'll bring the 'old' one home, I have one already and much too big for a car.

• Like 1

I have a fire extinguisher in mine.  That's about it.  If I'm still alive after a collision I can use it to knock myself unconscious or asphyxiate myself.

Hi Ratsun folks....

I ran mine into a power pole one night back in 1981...still have a dent in my face from the plastic steering wheel....I hit the steering column was so hard I pulled the seat belts out of the floor...that is why I was asking about making them safer....I was only 20 years old at the time...if it was today at 56 years old...It would definitely leave a bigger mark...

MikeC

• Like 1

Situational awareness is a very good idea but can't prevent all accidents caused by 'the other guy'. Sometimes shit is unavoidable. It just happens too fast. If you don't wear a seat belt because you are a very good driver you're kidding yourself.

I notice people shave side marker lights because 'everyone else does' or 'it's cool'. The purpose of them is to make you visible to other drivers (even when parked and the lights off) and distinguish the front and back of your car to them. It's also illegal. This is a very poor practice. Stupidly dangerous actually so why not take advantage of this passive safety system as it was designed?.

• Like 1

Situational awareness is a very good idea but can't prevent all accidents caused by 'the other guy'. Sometimes shit is unavoidable. It just happens too fast. If you don't wear a seat belt because you are a very good driver you're kidding yourself.

I notice people shave side marker lights because 'everyone else does' or 'it's cool'. The purpose of them is to make you visible to other drivers (even when parked and the lights off) and distinguish the front and back of your car to them. It's also illegal. This is a very poor practice. Stupidly dangerous actually so why not take advantage of this passive safety system as it was designed?.

I actually really like the side markers on Datsuns. Biggest problem is finding ones that aren't all roached out, especially the gaskets
  • Like 2

You can also use the enviorment you're in to your advantage. For example: When I was in driving school taking my behind the wheel instruction, my instructor, Dave, told me about how he and a student were waiting for a green light. When the light changed to green the student started to enter the intersection: Dave immediately slammed on his brake just before almost getting t boned by a red light runner. Dave did not see the car directly he saw the reflection off the business front windows of a car that wasn't going to stop. That lesson has stuck with me all these years later. However, some things are just out of your control, this is why I always: expect the unexpected when driving. I also (given the day and age we live in...) do this when I'm out in public around people: Always expect the unexpected, it's got me this far...

• Like 1

Company automatic truck, I just let off the brake and roll ahead probably a meter before stepping into the gas. I do this even if not at the stop bar. Naturally the idiot behind me anticipates that I will be stomping on the gas and his headlights disappear from sight in the mirror. Almost without exception, today's drivers watch the amber light out of the corner of their eye, count down the green light delay and step on the gas just as it comes on. Watch the cars ahead of you on the left. Green light... and the rear goes down and the hood comes up, like clockwork. My Datsun, I crawl away at idle slipping the clutch and then add gas and smoothly engage. If there are two lanes at the light, I always let the other guy leap out and shield me on the left. Thank-you!

I also follow probably twice as far behind the guy ahead then everyone else. It's a hell of a lot less work. Hey I get paid by the hour and there is NEVER a reason to be in a hurry..

• Like 3

When the light turns green, I pause...look both ways, then go. I also make sure to keep the music low, because I may hear something I missed (sirens, etc...). I too keep a safe following distance Mike. I remember when I was teaching my niece to drive, I told her you never run with the pack, Be A Loner. This way when one of them screws up you don't get caught up in it. The one thing I really worry about is the phones people cannot seem to put down: texting, surfing, etc...When they're supposed to be driving.

• Like 2

I actually really like the side markers on Datsuns. Biggest problem is finding ones that aren't all roached out, especially the gaskets

Second that.

I really want to find some of the 69 and early 70 521 reflector that are correct for my truck. Been looking and none such luck so far

• Like 1