My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are tools for removing them that slip in and grip the back edge. Then you just use a slide hammer.

I've hammered them all the way in before. They are very soft being made of compacted bronze powder, heated to 'join' the granules then oiled. I slit them lengthwise in 3 places with a screwdriver then bend the pieces inward and fish them out. Takes less than a minute. Flush is fine

• Like 1

Dude, all you have to do is fill it with grease and then find a dowel that fits, smack it with a hammer, and the hydraulic pressure pushes it out. 

DP, just use the back side of a socket, and insert a short extension into it backwards. Then hammer on the extension to drive it in a little more.

• Like 3

Messy and you need too many things.... like a perfectly fitting dowel. Stuff the hole with soft white bread and pound a dowel in for less messy.

Meanwhile in the time it takes to walk to the fridge for a couple of slices of white you could have it out doing it like below....

IbSIpBR.jpg

Everyone has a hammer and flat screwdriver.

9F9rL0D.jpg

They are SOFT and easy to cut with a few taps.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Mike, what are you on about? He already got the old one out.

Mainer was suggesting using grease. That's old now white bread is used and even better my method.

This is for anyone else reading about how to get them out.

• Like 1

I used bread to to get it out and used a socket to hammer it in further.  I’m calling it done.

Can I install the clutch and flywheel without the throwout collar?   I only ask because the collar I’m going to use is still installed on my truck and not sure how all that shits goes together. 

E891CD1A-0B6B-4467-8ED7-E152583F3081.jpeg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1