d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 200sx 5speed and it works..

I didn't use the 200sx fork throw lever  as one has to buy the 200sx slave cylinder as it come with a shorter non threade rod to push the fork arm with don't have a hole its just a cup for the rod to fit in and push against. the slave cylinder its self is the same . Just the rod that comes with them.  I don't have 200sx sized slave cylinder rods . all my stuff is 510/521 which is the same

you can match it up just to make sure the lengths are the same on the fork  but assume they the same

just get this right as you don't want to pull this out again

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
4 hours ago, d.p said:

Engine is out of a early 610 so its a car L20B which is 200mm which is what I bought as well.     Buuuuuuuut I just checked what I bought and it says it came with a new release bearing but no collar?  So seeing as its a 200mm clutch on the an L20B flywheel I can then reuse my 521 release collar as its all 200mm no?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Roadster-Exedy-Clutch-Kit-w-HD-600kg-Cover-fits-1600-2000-PL-510-521-620/233202857988?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

What's in the Box:
NSC581 Exedy Heavy Duty 600kg Clutch Cover
NSD026 Exedy Clutch Disc (formerly Exedy Daikin Part Number SA276)
BRG002 Koyo Release Bearing
32202-30000 Bronze Pilot Bushing
PT03 Clutch Alignment Tool

fazZiHq.jpg

Here's the 200mm collar sizes there 4 just for the 200mm!!!!!! Some will even fit the 225 and the 240mm.

There are subtle differences in height between all 200mm pressure plates or Nissan would only have one collar for them all. 

The wrong collar will give you a clutch that releases too high up on the pedal or too low or worse won't fully engage or fully release.

You said L20B so this is a '74 and up 610 and the release collar is 30501-K0400. The the list above is incomplete and there is at least 5 collars. If this was a fan belt it wouldn't matter if it was wrong size but if you get the wrong release collar on the transmission has to come out to change it. 

YES this is the correct number......

3 hours ago, d.p said:
25 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

NSC581 Exedy Heavy Duty 600kg Clutch Cover

this part number is for a 200mm flywheel weither 5 bolts or six bolt.  it uses the stock 521 t/o collar.  this is the Exedy version of a Roadster pressure plate kit

Mike that k0400 number shows at bottom of page listed to 280zx   the finger height of the clutch fingers are different  So the coolor length size is base on the Clutch finger height of a 280zx clutch

like I said before th 521/510 slaves with th fork arm that has the hole can make up for slight variations as the half ball on the threaded rod is adjustable

remember the 510 521 and Roadster clutches are same size spec wise except the roadster is 650 KG (Exedy is 600)   SAME. 200mm  uses same T/O Bearing and Collar

• Like 1

30501-K0400 fits...

'75 and up 280z and 280zx non turbo. These were 225mm PP

All 200mm PP...

610 and 710 L20B engine cars

'77-'79 S10 200sx (all are L20B)

A10 (HL510) all L20B and Z20 engines.

The release collar adjusts for the many different diaphragm finger heights. This in turn allow the clutch arm to operate in the same position on all cars and trucks and not run out of swing room in either direction. If you measure from the flywheel surface to the back of the collar where the clutch arm touches it, when resting against the fingers of the PP you want about 90mm. If significantly less than 90mm the clutch push rod and arm will have to travel farther to disengage, maybe not disengaging at all. If significantly more than 90mm the release bearing will be riding on the fingers compressing the pressure plate perhaps causing it to slip. 90mm +- a few mm is the sweet spot.

• Like 1

That is what I am saying, if 200mm clutch and 521 clutch fork/slave then I should be able to aslo use my 521 collar on my 5speed (from a ZX) + car L20B and be good no? 

this is my flywheel:

49762579982_483f3c119e_c.jpg

Which begs my next question, should I get this thing resurfaced? 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

fazZiHq.jpg

I'm saying that there are 4 or 5 different collars for a 200mm clutch and PP. The one you have is for an L16 probably the top one N1601 up to 73 and 350 Kg clamping.

The 610 and 710 use a 450Kg clamping PP.   30501-K0400 is for the later L20B 

Your call. It might work but for $40 you can be sure and not have to pull the transmission to change it later.

• Like 1

like I said before this is a Exedy clutch kit that has roadster pressure, otherwise everything else will be the same. use everything from the 521 and should work perfectly

Mike

I assume the L20b(200mm) 610 710 and 200 sx use the same   clutch kit and matching collar  but the slave cylinder rod is different (shorter and is not adjustable)must use the dimple clutch fork. the clutch finger heights from these just mention 610 710 200sx are different than the 510 521 and Roadster clutch finger heights. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Jogged my memory. Back in the mid '70 I had a '71 521 and dropped an L20B from a 710 into it. I didn't know about the different PPs. Swapped it and there was no problem with the clutch.

You was using the adjustable slave cylinder which has max adjustments. I believe that where it helped.

I installed a 280z t/o collar and bearing(sold as a set back them) on a 510 clutch cause it was mislabold or boxed wrong and put it in my 510 and clutch was already engaged even with the 510 slave and clutch fork. I couldn't get it to work.  too long and bigger bearing

My old How to Race and rebuild has all the part numbers and finger heights as I didn't know why the part numbers where so different then figured it out.  the finger height determined the T/O collar length

and when one buy the kit you assume to use the same T/O bearing collar  as the kit has the bearing.

the different between the flywheels is L16/18 is 200mm 5bolt crank

L20 6 bolt crank  200mm, would be same as the 16/18 200mm  . the roadster clutch kit would not know it. just knows 200mm with a certain finger height.  the 521 /510 ,2000 roadster kit uses the  same finger height and the T/O bearing is the same for those listed, 510/521 Roadster

• Like 1

They did away with the adjustable arm and return spring about the time the slave changed. These have a large spring inside which is counteracted by the larger spring on the outside. The later slave has a very short and small spring inside and requires no play on the push rod. I assume the release bearing is lightly against the diaphragm fingers.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

They did away with the adjustable arm and return spring about the time the slave changed. These have a large spring inside which is counteracted by the larger spring on the outside. The later slave has a very short and small spring inside and requires no play on the push rod. I assume the release bearing is lightly against the diaphragm fingers.

yes 

even the 521/510  slaves have springs inside that I buy now.

so DP would have to use the 280z trans clutch fork(with dimple and get a different slave ,one for that Trans to make that bearing you mentioned work. To me its to confusing for anybody to catch all this.

to me just use what he has and hes done. swap 521 fork to new trans, all FREE

• Like 2

do this

get the engine hoise and plave motor on the ground and place a 2x4 wood standing on end and place under oil pan this will help keep it up straight alone with the hoist.

now install the flywhell and clutch and put the trans with all the 521 stuff on the trans and bolt to the engine and check for play in the fork arm/ slave and adjust it.

Im 100% sure the T/O collar 521/510 for that Exedy clutch kit will work.  take photos or vid of taken things apart and photos to remind what you have done

Far as I know everything is based on Clutch kit NOT the Trans

If you change anything else I don't guarenntee anything.

Got my pilot bearing out using the bread trick(brioche bun just the top) and a 3/8 socket extension.  Came out super easy and the bearing looks like new.  Can I just lightly tap the new one in with a rubber mallet? 

F34CE342-73FF-41FF-A86F-A830ED18B7A5.jpeg