My 1971 521

d.p

18 minutes ago, d.p said:

much easier to lift it to the right then try and lift it to the left and get the right wheel above the driveway. 

Fuck knows why I am even arguing with you about this.  Don’t you got more parts to hoard king tut?

Honesty, I've run out of parts to buy. Nothing good has come up for a while.

Edit: And because it's hilarious

Edited by thisismatt
8=====D
  • Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Got a strange issue as of late, my tach jumps around and the truck seems to misfire under load.   Seems like a loose connection but haven't had time to check.  But when I do I am wondering if I can do away with the stock coil and use an MSD coil with my el dizzy and lose the ballast resistor? 

• Like 1

Is it a matchbox or Pertronix?

Pertronix needs 3ohms impedance either way. You can run a 1.5ohm coil, but will need a 1.5ohm ballast. Or else you can run a 3.0ohm Pertronix coil by itself and jumper the ballast.

If you have a matchbox dizzy, get rid of the ballast! Run a <1.0ohm coil, and run both the "start" and "run" power wires both to the "+" side of the coil. I'm running a 0.70 ohm MSD coil with my matchbox and it runs great.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
On 9/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, yenpit said:

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that the 78-79 510 A10 L20B was a FRONT SUMP oil pan.  The oil dipstick was also relocated on the block.........pretty sure to the passenger side front.  I've only had one front sump L series pan over the years & there are guys looking for them..........

Goddamn TJ, learned something today. I think the A10 may be the only L 4 cylinder to do this but I checked and yes it does!!! It must clear the alternator somehow. I checked the S10 cars and they have the rear mount. They all have a boss beside the starter that could be drilled out for rear mount.

DP when the tach on my 70 Dart started jumping it meant the points needed cleaning/replacing. I've seen this on my EI set up when there was a spark that jumped to ground.

The EI uses a 0.75 to 1.0 ohm coil. If the MSD is in that range you're good.

6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Goddamn TJ, learned something today. I think the A10 may be the only L 4 cylinder to do this but I checked and yes it does!!! It must clear the alternator somehow. I checked the S10 cars and they have the rear mount. They all have a boss beside the starter that could be drilled out for rear mount.

Ha, thanks Mike!  Yup, I actually sold that L20B front sump pan, but it was a number of years ago.  If I recall, the passenger rear dipstick TUBE was still in place in the block, with a cap & of course, it had the added front sump dipstick passenger front.  I remember contemplating whether to cap the front tube or remove & press in a "freeze plug" or tap & plug.....??  Hell, I must have sold that L20B too, cuz I don't remember running it!

And yes, at some point, I remember seeing a "boss" where a rumored dipstick could have been used, but just a "boss"..........no tube, no hole.  

I think there was even another L20B that had the dipstick DRIVERS side rear.....maybe a commercial application, not automotive.........??  Maybe it was an L16 or L18...........🙄

4 minutes ago, d.p said:

Matchbox.  I have an MSD coil but no idea what ohm it is because I bought a couple years ago.  Would have to look. 

If it does not say 'use with ballast only' again you should be ok.

1 minute ago, yenpit said:

Ha, thanks Mike!  Yup, I actually sold that L20B front sump pan, but it was a number of years ago.  If I recall, the passenger rear dipstick TUBE was still in place in the block, with a cap & of course, it had the added front sump dipstick passenger front.  I remember contemplating whether to cap the front tube or remove & press in a "freeze plug" or tap & plug.....??  Hell, I must have sold that L20B too, cuz I don't remember running it!

And yes, at some point, I remember seeing a "boss" where a rumored dipstick could have been used, but just a "boss"..........no tube, no hole.  

I think there was even another L20B that had the dipstick DRIVERS side rear.....maybe a commercial application, not automotive.........??  Maybe it was an L16 or L18...........🙄

Must be a JDM application. The Z series are all left rear because the right side is congested with the intake and the left is clear well to the rear of the down pipe.

• Like 1

DP, the easiest thing to do is just run a jumper wire across the resistor. You don’t even have to remove it.

Here’s mine:

-on the “+” side: start, run, and positive wire (red) coming from matchbox

-on the “-“ side, negative (black/yellow) wire coming from matchbox, and the tach signal

oGYtagr.jpg

Edited by mainer311

Check out Fbook or Craiglist too- I scored a nice picker and engine stand for $100 bucks around the corner from me when I was in Cali. Worked out perfected--- picked up the KA for the 510 in the morning and grabbed the hoist and stand on my way home. They are big so people want to get ride of them.

• Like 1

Yeah I see those coupons and have 3 of their jacks already. 1 that must be 20 years old and holding strong (mostly).  

Lots of cherry pickers but none really that cheap.  I read that leveler makes it so the picker has to go higher and I got limited ceiling height.  

• Like 1