My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He got some dudes to test fit I believe.  Should know soon if they are ready for prime time.  I did send him a NOS rubber bumperette bumper as well so he could 3d print those.  The ones you get today are hard as rocks and nearly impossible to get in.  I broke one in half trying to install it.  

• Like 3

Not much going on with my truck as of late been working on my house and yard.  For anyone who gives a shit here is my finished garage project 2 years in the making:

50397677356_0954bd9c2c_h.jpg

still need to go to Harbor Freight and get a cherry picker.  Oh and Wayno hooked me up with a 521 pan + pickup which I am going to prep and paint.  When that is done and I get the picker I should be good to eventually swap in my L20b + 5 speed.   Sent some more parts to Jake,  this time an OEM NOS bumper rubbers:

50397676686_9f1f60f13c_c.jpg

Hope to see this as well as the firewall grommets soon. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I like your house. It's cool. Cooler than its owner.

Those rear bumpers should be molded out of a high durometer urethane. Anything rubber is going to be too soft in my opinion.

Haha mfer thanks I guess?!     It really is a cool spot would be a lot cooler if I could get a lift in there but just don't see it worth trying to make it work.  Maybe my next house will have high enough ceilings for one.  

1 minute ago, thisismatt said:

Too soft for what? They're to protect your tailgate, not fender benders

Exactly just allow you to drop the tailgate on the bumpers.  I have had 3 of them, 1 is 90% of the way in, 1 broke in half when I tried to put it and the 3rd one is with our lord and savior Jake.  Anything has to be better than that rock hard rubber ones that are available today (not even sure anymore are available right now?).  

• Like 1

It's not like a modern truck tailgate it does not come off, and honestly have you seen how weak the hinge look compared to a modern truck...

If you load something with a ramp you would not want to rest on the tailgate, it was not designed for it... even the factory chains are just a hook for easy

removal....

Mainer311 I'll bet you can get away with it but over time it will mess up the hinge.... 

• Like 1
On 9/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, mainer311 said:

I put the ramps right on the tailgate when it's down. (For rototillers and snowblowers.) Biggest thing I've had in there is an 600lb toolbox, and a forklift put that in there. 

Otherwise lumber and shit just slides in.

Yeah for lumber why would you drop the tailgate unless they were longer than 6ft? Anything longer and I just rest them on the top of the tailgate.  I don't have ramps so I have to lift the lawn mower in and out but I am strong guy so I don't mind.  

Lemme show you how its done bubby...those are 12 footers in the back of this mfer:

26908695069_670eac174d_c.jpg

8' ply and PT here:

50016529808_63fa1dfe45_c.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 3

Highsided my truck today.  Was super tired backing out of the the driveway and drifted off the side and the rear shock mount dug into the driveway.  I was stuck and had to get a neighbor to help me lift the truck up from the bed and over into his yard.  lol

50442074923_20bd884061_c.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 2

See if you can find early 510 wagon leaf mount plates and get rid of that stud shock mount that hangs down like I did, i also used 4wd 720 leafs and 2.5" drop blocks, 3.5 or 4 inch drop blocks are extreme, keep in mind these photos equaled a 7" drop in the rear, I am just using the photos to help you understand the early 510 wagon leaf mount plate.

DSCN2205.JPG

DSCN2208.JPG

• Like 2
2 hours ago, d.p said:

Highsided my truck today.  Was super tired backing out of the the driveway and drifted off the side and the rear shock mount dug into the driveway.  I was stuck and had to get a neighbor to help me lift the truck up from the bed and over into his yard.  lol

50442074923_20bd884061_c.jpg

Why'd you have to carry it to his yard?

• Like 1

I’ll look for those wagon leaf plates.  And I have a pair of 720 4x4 leaf springs as well just haven’t gotten a round to getting the eye bolts out and mounting them.  

Where else was I going to lift and move it to?  The moon? 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

Now that I think about it I don't think them leaf plates will work on a stock 521 chassis unless you move the upper shock mount point to the actual frame rail straight above like the 720 instead of having them mounted on that cross member, it appears the only choice you have is to make an adapter for the bottom mount but that will only keep the shock stud from hitting/dragging on the ground, it will not stop the shock mount from dragging.

I keep forgetting how modified my builds are.

5 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Maybe the driveway?

much easier to lift it to the right then try and lift it to the left and get the right wheel above the driveway. 

Fuck knows why I am even arguing with you about this.  Don’t you got more parts to hoard king tut?

Edited by d.p