d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I would think you could take some basic measurements of the oil pan and compare...

Compare to what?  The one on the engine in my truck?  Id rather just a buy another one and not have to fuck around with measuring or crawling under my truck.  Besides if I buy another pan I can just leave my existing block + pan along and just take whatever accessories and shit I would need (alternator, motor mounts, etc..).  

49 minutes ago, DanielC said:

I do not know this for sure, but I believe the early 620 trucks frame was pretty close in dimensions to a 521.   I do not think there were a lot of changes in the engine mount height, or crossmember under the engine, or steering linkage location.

But again, I specifically have not tried to put an early 620 on the engine in a 521.

I was under the same impression.

Just now, Crashtd420 said:

Well I guess wayno has you covered so It doesnt matter.... just figured you might already have it sitting there on the L20b..

I guess you can let everyone know if they are the same or different....

No pan on the L20B yet but I do have the L16 pan from the 620 painted that I can put on it.  But then I still dont have the measurements from the 521 L16 PAN.  Happy to compare then once i get my hands on a 521 one.  

2 minutes ago, d.p said:

No pan on the L20B yet but I do have the L16 pan from the 620 painted that I can put on it.  But then I still dont have the measurements from the 521 L16 PAN.  Happy to compare then once i get my hands on a 521 one.  

The l16 pan from the 620 would be the one to compare...

if I remember right didnt the l20b come from a 510?

I believe those pan are slightly different...

Also is the oil pickup tube location the same?

I could be wrong but I thought the 510s had a different pickup tube, like for a center or rear sump or something.... 

Yeah it came from a 510 but originally I think it came out of a 610 as it has an U60 head on it.  Location of the tube is the same but the L20B pickup is longer/taller.  So I put the tube from L16 from the 620 on it instead. 

That picture helps but what would really help if someone could measure the height width of the L16 521 PAN and I could then compare it to what I have.  

InkedIMAG2075_zps9c622a12_LI.jpg

• Like 2

Pictures of 521 and 620 oil pans. it is not the crossmember but the steering linkage that is the problem, center link.

521_620_Oil_Pans_4.jpg

On my 520 frame when my brother welded in the motor mounts for the L20B we used a 720 oil pan.  The L20B in the 720 chassis has a 521 pan on it and we cut the stock mounts off the frame and moved them back 1/2" for more radiator fan cleance.  This was possible to do because of the design of the custom firewall I had my brother bend up for me.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2

Well then I don't know what the fuck I have but they appear to be identical.  The black one came off an L16 block that I guy pulled from a 620 and the red pan came off the L20B I got that came out of a 510 but was heavily modified.  

IMG_4195.JPG.c37a0c69b3b4c4551c580f51561c8a1f.JPGIMG_4197.JPG.92a5884d2d67f4c11002c3c2924d1088.JPG

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Charlie69 said:

510 oil pans I believe.

That would explain the L20 pan but not the other one.  That is unless the dude I got the block from had it installed in his 620 with a 510 oil pan.  I guess it doesn't matter either way and I will just throw these away and get one from wayno or just reuse my current one.  Curious to know if the pickup tube I had planned on using is wrong as well.  Hmmmm

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Throw away a good 510 oil pan? Those are getting to be worth some money.

Correct!  510 L16 oil pans are getting harder to find, but they MUST have the correct matching oil pick up tube to be the most valuable.  I will not sell a 510 L16 oil pick up tube without the oil pan & vice versa............one without the other is much harder to sell.  Just like with the trucks, the oil pan matches the chassis, not the engine........in other words you must have a 510 L16 oil pan & pick up tube to install an L20B in a 510 chassis!  You must have a 521 oil pan & pick up to install an L20B in a 521 chassis.

I have a 1972 521 with the L16 still in it, so I'm not sure that a pic would help here with it still in the chassis...........pans really need to be off & on the bench for the best pics.  I will crawl under the truck (up on jack stands!) to take a look.  I have 510 L16 pans & likely a 620 pan (but have no idea if early 620 or late 620).  Let me know if you still need some info, but again, it's still in my truck, so I don't know how detailed I can be!

TJ

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

510 A10 had an L20B, but all early 510s had L16s in them. And with a very different oil pan.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that the 78-79 510 A10 L20B was a FRONT SUMP oil pan.  The oil dipstick was also relocated on the block.........pretty sure to the passenger side front.  I've only had one front sump L series pan over the years & there are guys looking for them..........

• Like 1

Thanks but I am good for now.   What I have won't work and Wayno has got a pan + tube to sell me and if I don't go that route I will just use the ones off my stock L16.

Going to put these 2 pans + tubes for sale and see if anyone wants them. 

• Like 3