My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ill figure it out, just wanted to know if it was doable.   

I also spent some time yesterday trying to get the old bushings out of my 720 4x4 leafs which turned into a less in futility.  What a pain in the ass, I got one like halfway out and just gave up.   I think I will get an air hammer/chisel and just go to town on them because I have no interest in spending hours trying to burn/beat them out. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, d.p said:

Ill figure it out, just wanted to know if it was doable.   

I also spent some time yesterday trying to get the old bushings out of my 720 4x4 leafs which turned into a less in futility.  What a pain in the ass, I got one like halfway out and just gave up.   I think I will get an air hammer/chisel and just go to town on them because I have no interest in spending hours trying to burn/beat them out. 

Burn them out, that is the easiest way

• Like 1

Thanks man but I think I’m over these fucking things.  Tried to get the other end out and it will not give up the ghost.  Not even sure it’s worth the effort unless I can get an acetylene torch or some hot shit to speed up the process.  

For vulcanized bushings with sleeves, there are two easy ways to remove them. 1- burn out the rubber, cut the sleeve with a sawzall, then chisel out the sleeve. 2- use a press and/or air hammer and a collar that fits onto the sleeve without contacting the rubber. Hammer or press it out.

Burning is super easy, but I hate the mess and the smell. I'd rather take the time to machine the perfect tool and use a press.

Just now, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

For vulcanized bushings with sleeves, there are two easy ways to remove them. 1- burn out the rubber, cut the sleeve with a sawzall, then chisel out the sleeve. 2- use a press and/or air hammer and a collar that fits onto the sleeve without contacting the rubber. Hammer or press it out.

Burning is super easy, but I hate the mess and the smell. I'd rather take the time to machine the perfect tool and use a press.

The only sleeve that I can see is around the bolt that goes through the eye.  And burning it takes fucking forever with a little propane torch.  I literally sit there with the torch on it for what seems like a life time with little to no progress.  I think I probably spent at least an hour on the one I did get out.  30 minutes on the second one and I was over it.  

Does anyone know what job or profession would have access to a really hot fucking torch that I could maybe pay to burn them out for me?  

Eh I think I am over those leaf's until I find a faster way of getting those bushings out.  I have no interest in fucking with them anymore.  

On a positive note I got my seat done...only pic I have right now but will post more if anyone give's a shit. 

51562375398_e7c1d809ba_c.jpg

• Like 6

Whoa, weird. I just had mine quoted at an upholstery place. They're going to do Mercedes perforated vinyl "softex" and spring green houndstooth on mine. They're going to make matching door cards as well. Did they use coconut hair, or something else?

• Like 1

Well seeing as I am not a quitter I tackled the remaining bushies on the 720 leafs.  I figured out if you drill through them a bunch of times, cut the bolt ends off, burn them a little then beat the bolt with a 3lb hammer they slide right out.  Still have to deal with the leftover rubber but much quicker once I did it this way vs just trying to straight burn them out.  

But now that they are out I am wondering if I ordered the wrong bushings or I can just cut them to fit?  I dont know which is the eye, front or rear but the bigger ones fit fine, the smaller ones are too long and I guess I will just cut them to length? 

51564453777_2bfb3deda9_c.jpg

51566182655_15a4b5b621_c.jpg

51565490903_58a4495ac8_c.jpg

Also the smaller end of the leafs are so much worse than the bigger ends.  Just tons of rock hard rubber left in those and a bitch to clean up.  I thought about taking a grinder to the insides to smooth them out.  Or just jam the bushings in there.  

• Like 2

That looks pretty crusty. Use a needle scaler to get the hard junk out, then a ball hone to clean them up.

Needle scaler - https://www.amazon.com/Central-Pneumatic-Compact-Needle-Scaler/dp/B004Z3XX1Q/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Central+Pneumatic+Compact+Air+Needle+Scaler&qid=1633713015&s=hi&sr=1-4

• Like 1

Urethane leaf bushings are noisy AF. You're technically supposed to use silicone grease on them. White lithium will wash out in no time.

I just pulled my Xterra all apart to remove the urethane bushings and go back to Nissan OEM rubber ones. All the squeaks and creaks went away immediately.