d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I know I have owned over 30 521s over theyaers that is why when I redid the fire wall I changed out the throttle pedal and cable for the 1980 720.

Ok well not trying to do all that just to solve my throttle cable problem.   Plus that area of the firewall is caved in on my truck from the PO so really not trying to change any of that if I dont have to.  

• Like 1

I really hate those linkage rod style linkage setups. Bar none, the best ever dual Mikuni linkage is the centerpull style. Nissan motorsports (Datsun Competition as it was called back then) used the centerpull linkage on the 67.5 2000 Roadster, and subsequently sold the kit in their catalog. Mikuni also sold a kit, but this hasn't been available for along time. You can scab pieces from Webers together to make your own kit, or you can buy a kit from Troy Ermish, or you can probably get a NOS Mikuni linkage kit from Mike Malone.

Those linage rods are a pain to keep synch'd and are a pain to adjust. The centerpull is so simple, a Datsun owner could do it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

That piece there is just a throttle stop/idle adjuster. One of the many pieces in the Mikuni centerpull kit.

• Like 1

Yeah looking at my carbs I see that piece. And right now my options are limited and I looked for Mikuni setups but they are long gone as far as I can tell.  If they are out there I don’t know about them otherwise I would buy it. 

I also read the center links with Mikuni manifolds hits the bar and Troy not making them anymore so no go there either. 

just have to try and make work with what I got. And I truck is just toy more or less. Use to it haul shit and putz around so hoping they won’t require constant maintenance.  

Which begs my next question do I need a choke with these? And what am I looking at for HP? Cam’d 1 over and dual mikunis? 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, d.p said:

..... Troy not making them anymore so no go there either. 

56 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Troy Ermish used to have Toyota cable kits I think but I don't think he has them anymore.

Damn echo in here.  

• Like 1
Just now, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Try Mike Malone. He definitely has centerpull stuff.

If the carbs are tuned and jetted properly, pumping the throttle twice squirts enough gas to start it up.

What motor is it? L20B? Depending on the cam, exhaust and distributor, it could be 150hp.

Yeah Mike is looking for something in his stash.  Its an l20b, racer brown cam, bored 1 over and el-dizzy .  

49632257871_c84b9a6255.jpg

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, d.p said:

no idea what the compression ratio is.  How do I figure that out? 

You ask datsunmike....

There are online calculators....

Mostly you need to know 

Bore size, piston dish, and head cc....

Those would be your variables....

Couple other things like deck height, stroke and stuff are also a factor but Mike know those those numbers....

• Like 1

Open or closed head will do but if milled or valves un-shrouded should be cc'd to be sure.

Piston dish if custom or other than stock Nissan

Bore & Stroke if different if different than stock

Crushed gasket thickness unless different than 1.2mm that I use.

Rod length center line to center line unless it is stock

Piston height center line pin hole to piston top if different than stock.

Deck height if block decked if different than stock

In most cases just saying stock L20B tells me everything I need to know.

• Like 2
On 1/26/2021 at 5:18 PM, d.p said:

Can your shoot me a pic ?  

@banzai510(hainz)  I figure I would have to somehow use a 521 cable I just don’t know how to lock it in place at the carb.  Figure I need some kind of bracket (bought) or made for me. 

Might not be worth me sending to you.... 

Moves freely and It's intact but the ball end is a little questionable....

20210128_182007.jpg

• Like 3

Ok so learned something new.

The mount I have on the 510 cable is the period correct mount and Mike Malone has 1 but is reluctant to sell to me because I already have one albeit I would rather have 2.  I showed my cards and it bit me in the ass.  But its nice to know if I can remove the mount I have off the 510 cable and get it on a 521 cable I should be in business.  

50888678292_2bdd5bf5ec_c.jpg

50888678297_e48f679264_c.jpg

• Like 2

Hey man is that on a 521? If so what is on the Other end of the cable where it goes through the firewall?  

I am making progress on my setup just waiting for that 521 cable from crash which I am going bastardize along with my 510 cable.    I really just need the nut that holds the cable to the FW which I will swap on the 510 cable and grind down the insert (521 7mm 510 8mm) that goes through the FW.  

50894801646_317fcb07c5_b.jpg

50894087823_22eff78c4e_b.jpg

1 hour ago, d.p said:

Hey man is that on a 521? If so what is on the Other end of the cable where it goes through the firewall?  

Apologies d.p., my set up is actually on a 720 KC but my cable isn't much longer then yours. It's bolted to the f/w btw.

On the centre pull cantilever, there's a pivot ball end, this can be modified or replaced with something that came be drilled out and pass the cable through which can then be anchored off. 

Liking the Kameari heat shield.

• Thanks 1