d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, d.p said:

I bought the gauges so I figure I might as well use them.  But I agree I can use that 3/8-24 to 1/8 NPT adapter in the block if I just want one or the other.   

I don’t know whether I have to bleed it but the block doesn’t have a way to do that.  Fancy block was $20 and that tee was $15 I think but the fancy block has mounting holes which the tee doesn’t.  

I’ve learned through all of this is that advertised 1/8” NPT is not always 1/8” NPT.  Seems to be a lot of variance to what threads in nice and tight and what doesn’t. 

You have $200 worth of fittings you are not going to use so what is so important about running the gauges.  By the way the 720 gauges can be mounted different then theplastic bracket.

I would not run the way the tee is setup with all the fittings hanging of of it, this will with out a doubt break in time..  I would wait until you rceive the "L" bracket T block you ordered.

• Like 1

No I have $200 worth of fittings and gauges so the majority of that $200 is the gauges themselves.  

Got one of my spindles lathed so I can prime the engine with oil:

50878470131_894e85cbc4_c.jpg

Still struggling with what to do about a throttle cable and the dual mikunis, seems like I have to fab something up or just pass on them for now and run my weber and stock intake.   Seems like nobody is running dual mikunis on a 521 of if they are its very RARE and about 1 or 2 google image results for them.  I figure I either need to drill another hole in the firewall to use a lokar cable or just figure out a way to use a 521 throttle cable.  Has anyone on here ran dual carbs on a 521 and care share some insight into what to do for a throttle setup?  

Also if I run the weber32/36 the intake line from the intake manifold runs to the water outlet correct? 

• Like 2

Buy a spare 521 cable or cable housing(threaded cable will be SAE size)  510s Metric .  You can use that to thread in the firewall and hood up to the pedal. Keep your orginal to run the weber DGV if needed.

Now if you use a cable housing  one can get another cable and cut the end off and push it thru the cable housing and put a mIkuni end on there or something to link up to the arm lever to turn the throttle shaft to push down on both carbs.

the 521 cable housing end isthreaded, so use a stand off plate with a hole and  on top of the mikuni to bolt down then run the housing thru it and put the lock nut on otherside to hold it firm.  then cable end goes to Mikuni arm. if cable short find a longer one and reroute in housing and cut to length

that latch thing is Great but then you have to still pull the pump to get the org spindal back in and line it up righ to TDC and point to number one.

I have had good luck just pouring oil in the pump and installing it then pour over the cam and down the chain.

I had prime the fuel pump to the carb. and bam its stars right up if everthing correct.

Best to start it with the weber DGV and just use a cheap Felpro intake exhaust gasket to get it running since you cant figure out to hook up that fancy car cable. then swap out later to the sidedrafts once you got the set up.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pierce manifolds or some one has a cable pull sysyem for the weber dual carbs the the cable would lay in there and the lead ball/rounded square would fir in like the stock carb to pull the center long rod for the dual carbs. But it was for the common Cannon weber set up. Im sure the Mikunie rad is a different thickness rod.

Luck for ne mine I cut the end off and slipped it thru the hole and it had a screw/bolt that held the cable. I thought it was hoky but I never lost that bolt and cable has never come loose

100_0499.JPG

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

just go to the web and put in weber or mukuni linkages and go to images and see what is out there for hook ups

Do you really think I haven't done that?  I have a mount that fits on top of the carbs but its attached to a 510 accel cable.  If I could get that mount off that cable and onto a 521 accel cable I would be in business.  

50881725296_66f96ea0cb_c.jpg

50881007223_478faf3902_c.jpg

this is me

I would hit it with PB Blaster or whatever you want to use

I would put in a vise with the plastic cable part down and close the vise just enough to to get the other circular ring and tap on it from the other side it might slide out.

However the 5210 cable has a threaded end so I don't know your plan. But that a plan to get the cable off that bracket

maybe a chisel to get under the circle part just enuff to kift it up and bang it out. then one can use the vise as a crimper to get it back tight if needed

I think I really just need the bracket which I can then transfer to a long 521 cable (the one I have is super short).   Or some kind of bracket to hold a 521 accel cable.  Were there two versions of 521 cables?  I ask because mine is super short and looks like this:

Datsun-PL-521-Throttle-Cable

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, d.p said:

I think I really just need the bracket which I can then transfer to a long 521 cable (the one I have is super short).   Or some kind of bracket to hold a 521 accel cable.  Were there two versions of 521 cables?  I ask because mine is super short and looks like this:

Datsun-PL-521-Throttle-Cable

That looks like the one I have... 

• Like 1

I will take it because I can use the ball end and possible the screw nut part off of it.  Ball end is bigger than all the other ones these days 5/16 vs 3/16 and of course 521 has SAE threads on the firewall.  

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Look up something called a cable “knarp.” You can basically build your own throttle cable. Just get some generic housing and put one together.

Yeah I have seen those, more looking for some way to hold the cable/sheath on the carb like a weber does.  Right now I don't have anything to do that.  The rest I can figure out pretty easily.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I swaped the 66 520 throttle cable to a 1980 720 throttle cable.

521 has a threaded hole where the cable goes through the firewall so not sure that would work for me.  Oh and @banzai510(hainz) those pics are not from a 521, 510 is easy peezy 521 not so much.  Surprised there isn't some universal mikuni carb mount for holding accel/throttle cables.  

• Like 1