My 1971 521

d.p

11 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

So, 3/8-24 is a very common thread size when it comes to AN brake adapter fittings. It could be AN on one side, and 3/8-24 on the side that threads into the block. 

Looky here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-581533erl?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IySPspZhpU94oku2UPn4B-Q-HxpjdmyrXvLNo3Jz94gOHzFU7Ig86iBoCIa8QAvD_BwE

Probably right....

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah it looks like its a brake a line adapter and the small end threads into a 3/8-24 at ACE.  So safe to assume the PO tapped the block to use a brake line fitting for an oil pressure gauge.  So if I want to run a stock dummy light I would need a 3/8 - 24 male to 1/8 BSPT female adapter OR a 3/8-24 oil pressure switch with a bullet female connecter otherwise like my options for utilizing the stock dummy light are severely lacking.  😞 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

All you need is a 1/8 BSPT female to 3/8-24 male adapter. Then you can thread that adapter that you already have into it. That will give you a spot for the stock dummy switch, and a spot for a 1/8 NPT sender for an autometer electric gauge. You basically need the setup that I have, but adapted to fit that 3/8-24 thread.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mainer311 said:

All you need is a 1/8 BSPT female to 3/8-24 male adapter. Then you can thread that adapter that you already have into it. That will give you a spot for the stock dummy switch, and a spot for a 1/8 NPT sender for an autometer electric gauge. You basically need the setup that I have, but adapted to fit that 3/8-24 thread.

Yeah if you can find me a "1/8 BSPT female to 3/8-24 male"  I will be forever appreciative because I cannot find one.  I can find 3/8-24 male to 1/8 NPT and then I can use an NPT > BSPT adapter but is it worth it? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

I hear ya. BSPT is the most miserable thread on earth. Probably easier finding an oil pressure switch with a different thread that switches at a similar PSI.

pfft.  I think I am just going to run.an oil pressure gauge as I think it would be easier then trying to find a matching switch with the right threads. What a stupid thing to do as well, like of all things why tap it for a brake line fitting?  

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DanielC said:

Go to a Nissan dealer and get a BSPT oil pressure switch.  Ask for an oil pressure switch for a 1980 720 without oil pressure gauge.

Why?  The threads in my block are straight 3/8 - 24 and BSPT isn't going to work.  

12 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

And grab that.... 

Thanks man...this is the adapter I would need: https://www.golemgear.com/p-314-adapter-38-24-male-to-18-npt-female-low-pressure.aspx Then just change the sense wire to a female spade? 

this the same one? https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-PS-12T-Pressure/dp/B006EFZHVC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=standard+motor+ps12&qid=1611188086&s=automotive&sr=1-1

trying to find something on amazon that would work,. At what PSI should the light illuminate?  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, d.p said:

Why?  The threads in my block are straight 3/8 - 24 and BSPT isn't going to work.  

Thanks man...this is the adapter I would need: https://www.golemgear.com/p-314-adapter-38-24-male-to-18-npt-female-low-pressure.aspx Then just change the sense wire to a female spade? 

this the same one? https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-PS-12T-Pressure/dp/B006EFZHVC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=standard+motor+ps12&qid=1611188086&s=automotive&sr=1-1

trying to find something on amazon that would work,. At what PSI should the light illuminate?  

That looks like the same one.... I believe stock is around 7 to 8 psi..... 

• Like 1

That adapter is for scuba dive gear and says low pressure so not sure it will work?  I did find another way to make it work from McMaster and it will allow me to use the NPT switch or the stock BSPT one. 

2103A401-ADF7-49EC-80CC-9706F010B184.jpeg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

Too much length on that fitting sticking out of the block is a problem. The leverage caused by all that length can cause these fittings to crack or break off, leading to a huge oil mess. Try to simplify that fitting if you can.

If you need to, you can run the first fitting to an AN hose, then to a block mounted to the firewall or fender well and attach your senders there.

• Like 1

Shiat, one step forward two steps back is my motto lol.   

26 minutes ago, Draker said:

I had mine break. Got lucky it didn’t kill the motor. Replaced with shorter but still bulky setup and it’s been ok.

Got a pic? 

44 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Too much length on that fitting sticking out of the block is a problem. The leverage caused by all that length can cause these fittings to crack or break off, leading to a huge oil mess. Try to simplify that fitting if you can.

If you need to, you can run the first fitting to an AN hose, then to a block mounted to the firewall or fender well and attach your senders there.

I see oil pressure send setups with a plethora of fittings online but if its no good then I have options already with all the fittings I bought. I have a single adapter coming (3/8 -24 > 1/8 NPT) so I could use it with a 1/8 NTP sender.  Either the non-OEM pressure switch or an oil pressure sender for a gauge.  

Close this window

• Like 1

I really want the cab to look stock as I think a bunch of gauges takes away from what I envision it to be.   I did order a mechanical oil pressure gauge but started thinking about whether I really wanted one and if I did it should be electrical which uses a 1/8NPT sender so it would work with the above adapter.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a cool setup. It doesn't need to be that big, but usually that means getting out the misc fitting box and looking for just the right tee and then figuring how to mount it.

That one has a nice mounting tab. If you can live with the bulk of it, go for it.

I'm really super picky about how my engine bays look. Something like this would be much cleaner, and cheaper too - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/04-00114.php?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjKqABhDLARIsABbJrGkf-Sepr16ocIAcBT20sAzZdwKY2MlPg7s9m1k9PTQaNH93d46YVWMaAlM1EALw_wcB

• Like 1

See page 30 of my build thread. It's actually still bulky, but doesn't stick out as much as yours. I think I got the adapter on ebay or amazon. I wanted to run the stock oil light and my digital gauge so I bought a splitter. you could simply cap off one side.

• Like 1

Yeah don't even know if I want to go through all that at this point.  I think I will just use the adapter that is on its way with either a an NPT pressure switch or pressure gauge + sender.   Which will look like this either way:

50863186378_d1f7d5a442_c.jpg

Pretty crazy that the one thing that is giving fits is the stupid hole in the block. 

• Like 2

@Draker The problem with mine is the hole in the block is 3/8 - 24 so I have to run an adpater to even get 1/8 NTP to run that same adapter your have (which I have as well).   So no matter what I do its going to be an adapter > whatever I decide.  

• Like 2