My 1971 521

d.p

my drive line bolts would be loose   2nd time this has happened.   remember rif you loose a bolt its a SAE size 5/16 x 24 I think

ck the rear and in front. you can get the front bolts going thru the x member its doable.

also I found my tierod as loose as a goose in fron driver side

engine bolts loose

jack up on all 4s and drive it and see if someone can see a vibration happening

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey d.p.

Don't lower it...keep it stock height...

I had a Willys Jeep had a bunch of holes in the tub for accessories...most of them were factory type add on...I went around and put .25-20 x 1/2" long screws in the holes...rattle canned some color on the heads and we were off and running...that way if you want later on to put these back on you don't have fiddle with mounting them up again...

Just a thought....

MikeC

Can you weld sheet metal?

Can you finish the welds after welding including fixing heat distortion?

Can you paint it after the metal is finished?

How good is the window run channel in the doors?

I have a bit of advise, depending on your skill set. 

I work today, day shift, can answer you this evening.

Ill check all that shit if the new wheels/tires don't solve it.  

Got glass for my OEM side mirror and wanting to take off the tow mirrors.  

What do people do for the holes left behind from them on the door?  

31131229904_cc9afbe8fb.jpg

Don't weld them. The paint on the truck looks pretty good, at least chabby chic, so if you weld them, it's going to change the whole character of the paint.

I am all for welding up unwanted holes, but not on exteriors, unless you're going to have someone paint the whole thing.

Get some rubber or plastic caps/plugs to fill the door mirror holes. You won't notice them from 20 ft away. Here are some for 1/4", though I don't know what size the holes in the door are - https://www.mcmaster.com/#9750k39/=15p2gpu

Yeah that is what I am thinking as well, I never welded and I have seen some dudes just stick screws in the holes.  

Amazon sells a kit of different plastic plugs sizes for $15 so I will probably just go that route.  

814Jvreds1L._SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Couple updates.  Got the OEM side mirror glass replaced and removed the tow mirrors but one side got some nasty rust on the drivers side, passenger side much better.  Not sure what to do about it though.  

32229554116_fb2a255c70_z.jpg

31457736433_01d3f9ce29_z.jpg

31891751910_409b36a7be_z.jpg

32148390441_7397a79eff_z.jpg

• Like 1

Go to an automotive paint store have them match the color mix it and put it in a spray can.  Remove the bolts, weld & grind the holes, skim coat of bondo. sand, prime, and paint the spot won't be professional but it will look a hell of a lot better than the rust.

• Like 1

Go to an automotive paint store have them match the color mix it and put it in a spray can.  Remove the bolts, weld & grind the holes, skim coat of bondo. sand, prime, and paint the spot won't be professional but it will look a hell of a lot better than the rust.

Wishful thinking, I got no body work experience and no welding equipment.  I may just take it somewhere and see what they would charge me to clean those two spots up.  

• Like 1

Ha!  I thought about just putting sticker a over it.  Might as well for the time being.  

Anyone know how the 'Datsun 1600' side emblems attach?  One of mine seems to have broken one tab and causes it to bang against the truck.  Not sure how to remove it entirely.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't weld those holes up. Even for an experienced welder, there will be some warpage that needs to be hammered out. Unless you get really lucky.

Tape the area off and sand that rust away, wire wheel, whatever. Clean the spot with some metal etch and then cover it with some closely matched paint. I like the idea of covering it with a sticker, as long as it's a cool sticker.

• Like 1

So I can just pull that clasp off from inside the fender? I tried double 3M outside double sided tape to no avail, will swing by and get some emblem adhesive.  For now its just covered in painters tape.   B)   As far as the rust goes will figure something out.  If it really bothers I guess I could always throw the tow mirrors back on.  

• Like 1

It can be welded up without warpage, but it is easier to shape a piece of metal to fit behind the holes, tack weld the piece in a couple spots, level it out and then fill with bondo hair, sand, prime, and then paint.

I fill them holes all the time, but if it warps it, I fix it, but that is my stuff, and I don't have too have it done yesterday either.

• Like 1

So I can just pull that clasp off from inside the fender? I tried double 3M outside double sided tape to no avail, will swing by and get some emblem adhesive.  For now its just covered in painters tape.   B)   As far as the rust goes will figure something out.  If it really bothers I guess I could always throw the tow mirrors back on.  

The clips aren't really designed to come off.  I can't remember the style exactly, but they will be similar to this.  If you can get in there and pry up the parts that pinch the emblem stud, then they will fall off, otherwise you can sometimes wiggle them off in a back & forth unscrewing motion, but that tends to gouge the stud.

Side%20Cover%20Emblem%20Clips.JPG

• Like 1

My concern is the paint. I don't mind a little rust (as long as it's not body cancer) and even the smallest welding repair or paint match will show as an amateur attempt. Better, in my eyes, to leave it.

So it has a small rust spot? Big deal. When you start screwing with paint, the entire character of a vehicle changes with it.

• Like 3

Got a couple things done yesterday. Yellow high/fogs installed, replaced the wiper arms and glued the emblem with that 3M adhesive.  Anyone know where I can get silver wiper blades?  I got some NOS ever wing wiper arms and would prefer silver blades to match.    Also looking for a passenger side bumperette, anyone know a good source for them? 

32307446866_d43d9258a7.jpg