d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/16/2017 at 5:41 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

I see a "for sale" sign comming soon.  If you want maintanace free this is not the truck for you

its something simple we are just missing it.

Lol a year later (1 day later) to the day and I still have the truck mfer.  

?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

What about some 3M VHB double-sided tape?

The only problem I see with that is the mirror housing is concave and the glass is probably flat.... 

I would think a strong adhesive would be the best... a bead in the corner around where the mirror actually sits should do it....

• Like 1

Glass guys are the ones who fucked it up twice.  First time glue came through the glass and now this time it just separated from the housing.  Took it back and they said "we may break whatever is holding it!"  So I left and when it finally came loose this is what I found:

46051289351_1c1164367b_c.jpg

Cardboard and glue smh.  

• Like 1

Oh and Crash helped me the other day with my stupid truck not starting after driving it around all day.  Figured it was the battery so I took it to get tested and they said it had a bad connection (terminals were corroded) but the battery tested fine.  Bought one of those terminal cleaners and the truck started right up.   But my postive cable is all chewed up, does anyone know where I can get a replacement with the ring hook for the fuse box?  Or is it easier to just put a new terminal on my existing one? 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, d.p said:

Glass guys are the ones who fucked it up twice.  First time glue came through the glass and now this time it just separated from the housing.  Took it back and they said "we may break whatever is holding it!"  So I left and when it finally came loose this is what I found:

46051289351_1c1164367b_c.jpg

Cardboard and glue smh.  

That's just pathetic work.... I watched a top audio installer put a headrest monitor in like that.... not to mention he cut the headrest fabric on the wrong side, dont even know how he managed to do that....

• Like 1

Yes I have when living in Ontario.There are the kind that fit in place of a core plug, and the kind that splice into the heater hose. The prefer the core plug ones best and in severe cold you can use more than one. I found usually the temp gauge was actually reading slightly and on extremely cold nights the car was reading within just a minute or two. A battery charger is a good idea and a battery warmer also good. The battery warmer is a special wrap around electric blanket. A cold battery has less cranking power than a room temperature one. Three good ideas to guarantee getting to work in the snow.

• Like 1

Yes block heaters are a good thing in very cold climates, engines start a lot easier if warmed up for an hour with a block heater, all my diesel engines have them, but they are a different animal.

You also need to have the proper anti-freeze mix, you do not want your block or radiator freezing up on you.

• Like 1

The block heater also warms and thins the oil so the starter can spin the engine faster and longer.  I would assume the battery is in good shape and the charging system working, then a 'trickle charge' would be little advantage. Better would be a battery warmer which raises the charge over a battery that's cold but on a charger.

• Like 1

I am in DMV (DC MARYLAND VIRGINIA) area and it gets cold enough that this truck is a bitch to start after sitting for a couple days.  It will eventually start but I am just seeing what I can do to avoid that nonsense.  

1. trickle charger

2. battery blanket

3. engine block heater

What say ye??>?

Edited by d.p

Didn't you get a garage at the new place?

Park that bmw outside and park the 521 inside ....

A Block heater would be the  best, like Mike said it warms the coolant and it keeps the oil warm, even under the hood stays warm to help the battery, but to leaving it plugged in will cost.... and I'm not sure how long they should be plugged in continuously..... 

How often do you plan to drive it when it's really cold would be the biggest question... 

Maybe once a week if that.  

No garage just two car port under a deck which I will make into a garage eventually.  

I have outlets down there but other than being protected from the elements no insulation whatsoever. 

I wouldnt do it for a once a week ride.... 

If you did I wouldn't plug it in everday.... maybe add a timer or plug it in the day before you think you might use it....

Not sure what the solution is for you.... 

If it's even really a problem or more annoying.... 

They can take a minute to fire up after sitting a week or so, add the cold weather and it takes a  bit more.... 

Mine sucks to fire up cold even having it in a garage..... 

My dad use to just cover his engine with a couple blankets at night .....

Maybe something like that and get that car cover you were thinking about buying.....