My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure that would work and I only got a hammer.  that corner is just warpeed, much thinner that all the rest of that flange.  The dude who Mike sold his flanges told me $35 for a new one.   I will swing by the machine shop tomorrow to see if they can help or just order a new flange and get a down pipe made.  Not worth my time and effort to hopefully bang the shit out of this in the hopes of it getting flat.  

Lucky for me I have spare manifold so I can just use that to see if it seals but I have taken that shit apart like 10 times already to no avail.   

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

I tried everything to no avail, it will leak no matter what.  Tried filing it, hammering, it using nuts and bolts instead of the studs but no matter what it leaked.  I wonder if it leaked the entire time I just never noticed it? 

As far as the flange it says on his site he sold that mold... I reached out to the dude who has it now and its $35 shipped with a y pipe. 

• Like 1

Yeah it is, welds look great.  

Question on how to get this welded and installed.  Does the manifold need to come off my truck?  Or can a competent exhaust shop make this work without removing it?  IE line it up with the manifold on the truck, weld this shit and mate it to my already existing exhaust? 

• Like 1

I replaced the exhaust system on two of my 521 trucks.   See this thread:

https://ratsun.net/topic/61167-how-i-replaced-a-521-exhaust-system/

i would strongly suggest you put a bolt in flange about 18 inches down the exhaust pipe from the lower manifold flange.  Then you  only have to remove that part of the exhaust system to pull an engine, or drop the transmission for a clutch change.

Recently, I put a L-20-B engine in one of my 521 trucks, and used the round bottom port L-20-B exhaust manifold, and I just had to make the short downpipe to put the engine in Ratsun, (my name for that truck).

• Like 1

This is awesome that some one makes this.

People should buy these and get spares as most Y pipes or now NLA. esp for the 510 and 521s.

I look on Rock auto as what Datzenmike did and the 240sx Y pipe are NLA also what I can see

only inprovemnt would be making is where the Y end meets to make a little longer as the extension pipe tp fit over before one welds it up

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Got my down pipe fixed, got my truck cover but haven't been driving it much.  So of course I got a problem which is it doesn't want to turn over.  Picked it up today from the muffler shop and it started fine, drove around, got lunch came home and turned it off and now it won't turn over.  Plugs aren't fouled, Tried swapping the coil, pretty sure its getting fuel (I can throttle it and see gas shoot into the carb) but just can't get it turn over.  Checked spark at the coil wire and it sparks when I turn it over.

Not sure what the problem is?   

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1