Ka24de ring gap question

demo243

So building my ka right now and I might have messed up

Over bored to 89.5 running wiseco pistons

Wisco says to run .017 top and .019 bottom.

I was reading another build thread as a reference and mixed em up

So I've got .019 top and .017 bottom (only on two pistons - realized before I gapped the other rings so I stopped)

Wiseco says to gap the second ring larger to reduce top ring flutter or lifting

Proper thing to do would be to order new rings.

But how much of a difference will .002 make if I were to size up the 2nd to .021 and run .019 top and .020 or .021 2nd- which o believe are still with in factory spec

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Wiesco top ring specs, bore (89.5mm) X 0.0045 or 3.52 X .0045 = 0.015" for the top ring for High Performance Street.

Moderate turbo/nitrous is 3.52 X 0.0050 = 0.017"

Drag race is.................... 3.52 X 0.0055 = 0.019

Don't know what your application is but better check this out.

I would replace the rings or you'll be worrying and wondering for ever after.

Btw it takes a hell of a lot to flutter the rings.

• Like 1

Building a NA - will be running my mikuni 44s on it and eventually a stage 2 cam. Redline will likely be around 7k:

The chart with the rings shows a .005 top and .0055 bottom ring multiplier - which equates to .017 top and .019 bottom for street/stock - nitrous or drag get a bigger gap

Double checking is always good. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Start a log on this engine build. Mark down every thing you do, every measurement, every idea, every source for parts, cost.

First engine build so I guess mistakes are bound to happen... Just happy I caught it before I fully built it up.

Already have a parts/cost log... scary... 

Working on a measurement log as well.

Just got caught up in the reference build thread and mixed the numbers up.

Your "bottom" ring was a bit confusing.  Surely you meant 2nd ring since the true "bottom" ring is the oil control ring.

Yea second ring. 

Wiseco says minimum for oil control rings is .010 which all just a bit bigger then that direct from wiseco so no need to file those.

Run it! Make sure you don't have burrs left on the edges of the Rings after filing!

If your gonna be beating on it it's okay if it's a Lil big. Especially if it's turbo, you don't want the ring ends to butt together, ever!!

Looser I mean a few thou more, .020-.022 is fine.

not .030!! Hahaha

Run it! Make sure you don't have burrs left on the edges of the Rings after filing!

If your gonna be beating on it it's okay if it's a Lil big. Especially if it's turbo, you don't want the ring ends to butt together, ever!!

Looser I mean a few thou more, .020-.022 is fine.

not .030!! Hahaha

Not running turbo - NA all the way!  with Mikunis!

Although not completely rulling out an eventual blow through set up........ doubtful though

As Noted above wiseco call for .0158 first ring and .0194 2nd ring for NA Street/Strip

Right now I am at .019 first and .017 second - so I can easily bump out the second ring to .019-.021

FSM states .017 1st and .019 second so I think thats where I'll end up. 

General consensus is though I could easily run .019 first and .021 second - only potential issue might be a bit extra blow by....

• Like 1

Not running turbo - NA all the way!  with Mikunis!

Although not completely rulling out an eventual blow through set up........ doubtful though

As Noted above wiseco call for .0158 first ring and .0194 2nd ring for NA Street/Strip

Right now I am at .019 first and .017 second - so I can easily bump out the second ring to .019-.021

FSM states .017 1st and .019 second so I think thats where I'll end up. 

General consensus is though I could easily run .019 first and .021 second - only potential issue might be a bit extra blow by....

That will be fine! What kind of ring pack is this? Napier 2nd ring and barrel face top ring? I think i put mine in at 18 and 20 and have hardly any blowby after 2 years.. Im pretty sure thats what i put them in at... They might be even looser than that. i have my pcv frost plugged off and using the valve cover vent and thats it and it pukes nothing out at all.. Even on the squeeze.