1970 Chevy Suburban Carryall

I just picked this up from my friend Gene Winfield. It was originally purchased by Chaffey College in Alta Loma, CA. On paper I'm the 2nd owner. Initial plans (after we do a much needed cleaning) are bags, rims, and 86 those mirrors. It is complete except for the grille, bumper, and radiator. It has the original seats and all door and trim panels. It is only missing the headliner and ash tray. My Dad had one of these in the seventies and I remember how much I loved riding in it as a kid. It will definitely be a Fun project. My brother and I have set a goal: We plan on driving it to the Annual Brothers Truck Show next Year.

image_55.jpeg

image_56.jpegimage_57.jpeg

image_59.jpeg

image_61.jpeg

image_62.jpeg

image_60.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes it a carryall? The extra bench in the back?

I'm not too sure...I went to the gmheritage website and put my info in and that's what I learned. The suburban with the barn style doors is also called a carryall, along with the 4x4 version. I'll have to ask Gene next time I see him if he knows why they call it that.
  • Like 1

These make great tow vehicles. A buddy used to have one and he could tow huge trailers and mobile homes with it.

Is this a 3 door version ? No back side door behind the driver?

Yes it is. If you zoom in on the 2nd to last pic you'll have a good visual. The window there does roll down: It's a pretty cool ride. I'm considering a few personalized plates to pay homage to my Dad, because he had at least a couple of these when I was a kid.

Cool project

I like the lift gate / tail gate you have way better than the barn doors I have seen on a lot of them

Thanks! It's funny we were at Gene's for his annual car show when I saw it, and I didn't look at it too close so I didn't know what doors it had...then my brother and I were on our way over to look at it a couple weeks later, and I told him if it has the barn doors I'd pass. I was elated when I saw it didn't! Don't get me wrong I don't dislike them I just prefer the tail/lift gate. And my friend Bret told me that they are less common than the barn door ones.

Yes it is. If you zoom in on the 2nd to last pic you'll have a good visual. The window there does roll down: It's a pretty cool ride. I'm considering a few personalized plates to pay homage to my Dad, because he had at least a couple of these when I was a kid.

Pretty sure the window is supposed to roll down. Otherwise, why would they bother to put the widing handle there?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...