240Z with L28 Ignition Questions

mntech

I have a 1970 240z that I recently put a L28 in. To add it has triple webers ;) Anyways my question is what do you guys recommend to do to my ignition system. I say upgrading to a 280zx distributor with electronic ignition is the best way to go. I was thinking of doing this from the Z-store. http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic11g/12-4020Also combine it with 3.0ohm coil.

Let me know what you guys suggest. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That igniter is for use on points distributors to convert them to an electronic ignition. The problem is you are only getting rid of the points. There is no increase in ignition voltage. This is a waste of money. Pertronix used to be worth it but I think made in China now. Hainz would know.

Hands down, the best bang for the buck is a '78-'80 280zx non turbo L28 matchbox (EI)distributor and coil. This is a true breakerless (without points) and higher output system. Get the matching 0.8 - 1.0 ohm coil. Lower resistance draws more current which makes higher voltage. (This coil will not work on a points distributor as it draws way too much current through them and will burn them out)

• Like 1

Not sure now what you want, but the '78 280z distributor isn't it. For one you would need the remote igniter box to go with it to make it work. This was all miniaturized in the '79 model Datsuns and was called the matchbox distributor.

You should get the NON TURBO '79, '80 or '81 EI matchbox distributor and the coil that goes with it. Much higher output and the elimination of the points. Bang... done.

• Like 1

You should get the NON TURBO '79, '80 or '81 EI matchbox distributor and the coil that goes with it. Much higher output and the elimination of the points. Bang... done.

Agreed on the matchbox - very reliable, ditch the points and resistor, higher output coil. But one other issue you might have - compatibility between the distributor and the tach.  I had to switch to a 280Z tach (from my early 260Z one) to get the tach to work.  I can probably dig out some threads on this issue.

One post:

This is what the datsunZgarage website said about it: "A 240 tach may not work with this setup since it's inductive pickup can no longer connect to the coil. Replace it with a 75-78 280Z tach and connect the tach sensor lug to the - terminal on the IC module. If the tach jumps around, solder a 7500-10,000 ohm resistor inline with the sensor wire to reduce the signal voltage. If it still won't work buy a Autometer #3990 black face tach." The site was talking about the 280zx distributor but also mentions the GM HEI setup.