A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

This is a picture of a page in a book I bought that was published in 1973.  It shows the two different oil pump drive gears.  the book says the brass crankshaft gear, and its mating spindle must be used together, and the brass gear set is more desirable.  Brass crankshaft gear, 15043-73400, mating spindle, 15040-73400.  Both spindle drive gears are steel, but using the wrong spindle on the brass gear will wear it out very fast, as the gear teeth do not match.

DriveSpindle_zpsoarnvry9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe it is L-16 specific.   I had to dig to find the information, it is in the original printing of the "how to modify DATSUN 510 610 240Z Engines and Chassis.

You have to have the correct oil drive spindle to run the brass crankshaft gear.  Both types of spindle gears are steel, but only one is the correct one to run with the brass crankshaft gear.   It is hard to tell from the picture, but one spindle gear looks bigger to me.  I could be wrong, but I think one spindle gear has 18 teeth, and the other has 20 teeth. 

• Like 1

I feel like I've covered this ground.

Early L motors had large diameter brass drive gears and small gears on the spindle. These are very rare and not particularly good.

They switched to steel smaller diameter drive gears with corresponding larger gear on spindle.

Nissan Motorsports sells a small diameter brass drive gear that uses the later spindle. This was a motorsports option.

You cannot interchange spindles and gears between small and large diameter.

• Like 1

If you think you had the early large diameter brass drive on the engine before, you are going to need to get another spindle.

Better yet, someone here probably has a loose spindle they can measure with a calipers so you can compare that with the spindle gear you have. Then you'll know for sure.

• Like 1

Still waiting on the gear but I did figure this out.... so on the pick Daniel posted

#1 is actually what I have.

20 tooth 1.4 diameter on the spindle shaft... crank gear measured 1.975... I blew up the pic to match what I have and measured screen to get #2..

My best guess on #2

18 tooth gear 1.3 diameter

About 2.200 on the crank gear..

going back to really hoping someone screwed up making the gear I have.... really wish the new one was here....

• Like 1

Picking up the brand new oem gear i ordered today on my way home from work.. hoping I don't have to buy another spindle shaft but who really knows at this point wtf is happening... It has to be one of the 2.. because without the shaft in everything rotates perfectly smooth in the engine.

• Like 1

Well here's an update to a costly mistake... just tried the oem gear on the crank. And while it looks much nicer..

20170120_164642_zpsutmshlc9.jpg

The spindle still doesn't install all the way... identical to how it fit the other gear... so I guess I am buying a new spindle now to match my new crank gear....

• Like 1

I'm not sure I follow your logic. If you think you have the wrong spindle, that would mean the spindle you have is SMALLER than the one you need. A smaller gear on the spindle would not cause the problem you're having.

But at this point, you've replaced everything else, so why not...?

• Like 1

I don't think i have the wrong spindle... i think its worn and engaging the new gear incorrectly. Originally i had the belief that i had a brass gear on the crank. So my thought was how could the gear on the spindle ever get messed up... well it can if its steel.. my belief is I have everything correct as far as diameters of the parts and tooth counts. But there has to be some error in my spindle due to the years of use. I am not sure how these gears wear in but over time some thing must change .. my belief is I need a new set... crank gear and spindle.... both need to be new to fix..

• Like 2

After replacing all those parts, if the problem persists, the only other options would be replacing the front cover, making sure the locating pins are present in the block, checking to make sure the crank snout is not bent (very unlikely for it to bend, but if it was dropped or in a crash, who knows?) It is possible that your spindle is bent. If the teeth on it look ok, and the flat portion on the tip where it engages the oil pump is flat and without burrs, then there's really nothing else that could be wrong with it.

Uneven mating surfaces on the crank or the back of the pulley could "bend" or tilt the gear as the crank bolt is tightened, but that's unlikely too.

• Like 1