A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well just confirmed my suspicion at the Nissan dealer... found a racing guy who new about the L series motors.. had an old 280z race car in the show room... his belief is the pitch on the gear was cut slightly wrong.... well I ordered an oem gear and am about take the motor apart to find out if I am right....

• Like 2

Can you snap a pic of the parts you have?

Is that pic above a pic of your engine, or of someone else' engine? If it's yours, it looks like the proper drive gear on the crank.  But it's hard to see for sure. The newer gears were coates with a white/silver coating. If you clean that one off, is it white? Or yellow?

• Like 1

No that's mine from a few months ago when I was assembling the motor.. not sure about the coloring but at this point I am about 99 percent sure the pitch was cut slightly wrong on the gear i have on the crank... it shouldn't be drawing that shaft up ... even just inserting only the shaft I am met with weird resistance.

• Like 1

Yes, it should be a very smooth engagement.

If it's pulling the spindle up, something is wrong...drastically wrong.

Again...pics of your parts. Once you get it apart, take a bunch of pics of the pieces and the inside of the cover. I could probably identify the problem easily with a couple pics.

• Like 1

That sure looks like a brass drive gear, but the diameter looks like the small one. Nissan Motorsports did sell a brass drive in the later model diameter, so that's a possibly a red herring.

Do you have a pic of the pump assembled to the cover? With the drive spindle installed?

• Like 1

20170117_180725_zpsmte5pyby.jpg

Are you talking about the gap between the spindle and the oil pump on the INSIDE of the cover? I thought you were saying that the oil pump wouldn't fully seat against the front cover.

If that's what you're referring to, the end play in the spindle, between the cover and the oil pump, you can shim that. I don't remember the application, but there's a shim for a Dodge or Ford V8 that fits the Datsun, and it's used just for that purpose.

So to be clear, the oil pump is fully seating against the mating surface on the bottom of the front cover?

• Like 1

So here's a question the book states larger chamfer on gear faces the timing gear. And that this is critical.. why?.. and yes I verified mine was on correct, but what if it wasn't... say whomever made the gear put the chamfer on the wrong side .. what would happen? Just wondering if anyone knew .... At work thinking about my problem waiting for my new gear to compare things.

• Like 1

Ahhh and there's an answer.... so how do I know what I have? Whats the difference? I believe Everything was original to the motor and truck I hope the distributor shaft is. I ordered a crank gear for my year l16.. oem right from the dealership. Am I on the right track to fixing this or will the distributor shaft be a problem too....

• Like 1